Self employed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you havent already make sure you do your tax credits renewal still. asap x

If you get housing benefits you will have to tell them and do a change of circumstances,if you were with the job centre tell them to.Apart from that your all sorted.x

Ye I've renewed this morning!

So I need and accountant? What things do you need to keep eg receipts for what? Also best places for insurance? And I saw someone say something about telling your local council? Why's this? X

You could do a business plan to really see your outgoings and incomings. The HSBC do a free one on their website. It helps you think of the things that cost money that you forget about. The book how to be a mobile hairdresser is also brilliant and gives ideas on how to promote yourself, market and research xx

Also take a detailed look at your contract (assuming you have one) to ensure there are no clauses with regards to working within a certain perimeter of current salon. Citizens advice will be able to go over your contract with you :) I think the main clause is usually regarding telling clients where you are going BUT most of them you will probably know out of work anyway so there's no need to announce it all in the salon! If it were me I would get everything set up first and then work my notice x

As Mrsmack has asked, do you have a contract with your current employer and are there clauses within it preventing you setting up your own business within a certain area, and from taking clients from their business.
You may have a problem with your boss, but at the end of the day it is their business that they have built up and their clients, and they can take action against you if you breach your contract.

No its fine, we were having a talk (my boss and i) few months ago coz business isnt booming at the mo and saying i mite leave anyway, so should be find, i wouldnt steal clients anyway, and the ones that would follow me would be my family and friends who would obviously follow me. I constantly have people asking me if i do mobile, as there arnt a lot of mobile stylists locally and obviously i turn them away, so i know i would build up a diffrent clientele straight away. Im just not happy where i am and its making me a misery guts! Lol.

Thanks for all your replies, means a lot. Lucia xxx

As Mrsmack has asked, do you have a contract with your current employer and are there clauses within it preventing you setting up your own business within a certain area, and from taking clients from their business.
You may have a problem with your boss, but at the end of the day it is their business that they have built up and their clients, and they can take action against you if you breach your contract.

Also i couldnt help setting up mobile close to the salon as its only 5 mins from my home! Lol x

Also i couldnt help setting up mobile close to the salon as its only 5 mins from my home! Lol x

Even still it may be in your contract you can't work in a 2mile radius from salon for 6 months
Double check before you end up in court,

Ye ill check but nothing he can do if i do mobile, i aint moving home lol x

The best place i found for insurance is Salon Gold. Covers me for a million pounds and is something like £40 a year and that covers me in salon and mobile. I cant find anywhere cheaper

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ye ill check but nothing he can do if i do mobile, i aint moving home lol x

Actually he can take you to court, so not really lol

You don't have to move house if your contract states you cannot do it in a 2mile radius then you just need to work out with that area for the time stated better safe than sorry

He will be find honest, we have spoke About me leaving anyway x

All done :), so yes basically I can still do my 16 hours self employed and still get tax credits for now, just need to tell them the week I'm starting up on my own to register.

Right what's the next step girls? Where do I go now, and who do i Tell etc xx

Sorry if I am going over old ground.... I had to notify:

House insurance... They may adjust your premium ..

Council Planning.. If your business is small they will probably make a note but need no visits etc. this will also establish if you need any licences for invasive treatments like electrolysis, earpiercing etc. They will advise if you need business rates (usually depends on hours/footfall/area of home used.

Liability Insurance... You Defo will need this!

Hope this helps....

Council Planning.. If your business is small they will probably make a note but need no visits etc. this will also establish if you need any licences for invasive treatments like electrolysis, earpiercing etc. They will advise if you need business rates (usually depends on hours/footfall/area of home used.

Hope this helps....

House insurance and planning for mobile???

Hope this helps....

I wont be doing hAir from my own home, i will be going to peopleS homes. Why would i need to do home insurance? And im a hairdresser not a beautican who does eAr piercing and electrolyis.

Also yes i know about insurance aswell, already had quotes.

I wont be doing hAir from my own home, i will be going to peopleS homes. Why would i need to do home insurance? And im a hairdresser not a beautican who does eAr piercing and electrolyis.

Also yes i know about insurance aswell, already had quotes.

Missed the MOBILE part.... Sorry...

I have been mobile for 7 months now and it's the best thing I have done. When I worked in a salon I ran a full column and got paid minimum wage and commission (I worked 45 hours a week). I find I am working half the hours and earning the same amount of money. I have lost some clients but I am steadily gaining new ones.

My previous employer was very bitter when I left and is taking legal action against me because of my restrictive covenant clause in my contract. And is accusing me of taking her clients, even though you are on good terms with your employer I would get it in some form of writing and signed to null and void your contract. People turn very nasty when they see your doing well for yourself and potentially taking "their" clients. I was employed for 12 years also.

I have been mobile for 7 months now and it's the best thing I have done. When I worked in a salon I ran a full column and got paid minimum wage and commission (I worked 45 hours a week). I find I am working half the hours and earning the same amount of money. I have lost some clients but I am steadily gaining new ones.

My previous employer was very bitter when I left and is taking legal action against me because of my restrictive covenant clause in my contract. And is accusing me of taking her clients, even though you are on good terms with your employer I would get it in some form of writing and signed to null and void your contract. People turn very nasty when they see your doing well for yourself and potentially taking "their" clients. I was employed for 12 years also.

Thank you for your advice, I have private mailed you xx

I agree check your contract. The salon owner has every right to protect their business and if that means enforcing a clause (if there) that you can't poach clients and work within X amount of miles for X amount if time.

Any salon clients aren't your clients they are the salons. You would not have these clients if it weren't for the salon employing you and advertising for clients in the first place.

I'm all for doing what's right for you money, hours etc but you need to honour what you agreed to.

Hi I've recently qualified as a nail tech and got great insurance from ABT Associated Beauty Therapists. They charge less than 50 pounds for the year. It covers you to work in a salon, at home or mobile. This gives you scope to earn everywhere. The website address is abtinsurance.co.uk and phone number is 0845 017 5090 hope this helps you and good luck!!!

Latest posts

Back