Setting up spray tanning from at home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hey so I recently set up from at home. I don't offer spray tans but I'm starting to get a few queriers. I loved spray tanning in the salon and it's easy money for a 15 minute treatment .. I'm set up in a room in the house but I'm just wondering will the spray tan destroy my walls .. I recently just painted it beige so it's a light colour .. Any1 do spray tanning from at home with a tent ?? Thanks 💋

I work from a home based treatment room too, and have done for the last 7 years. I am having spray tan training next week, and will be spray tanning clients in my treatment room, using one of the pop up tents - therefore, no problem with walls, floor etc

Hi

The only way to make sure you can reduce this is with an extractor fan ... As the tan is airborne, and regular deep cleaning the room ...
But It can affect paintwork / skirting if your planning a dedicated tanning room and lots of clients passing thru ... X

There are a few old threads already on this topic xxxx

... I have spent a lot of money decorating, and have very light carpets and a ivory white sofa, I have a beauty roo at home but no way would I tan inside, my OH is planning to make a room within my garage ... I have the fake bake pod (inflatable tent & extraction) and I still wouldn't do it inside my home ...!!
Xxx

I would definitely recommend getting an extractor. Even though you may spray with little overspray and you have a tent, the particles are in the air and will settle on every surface in your room. I wish I would have got my extractor sooner, would have saved me hours of scrubbing and bleaching my shelving unit!

I also tan from home as well and I wouldn't be without a tent if you look on line there are some great deals to be got. I'm looking to invest in an extraction unit as well as the spray gets every where no matter what you do.

Yeah I'm really in 2 minds about this ..How much are we talking for an extractor fan?? Thanks

As said above use a tent and open windows (if possible).
If you are doing more than a couple a day I would recommend purchasing an extractor - anything from £100 to £1000, shop around and use recommendations as their are some rubbish foreign imports branded with fancy known names along with fancy prices :wink2:

I've just finished tanning to go on maternity leave but when I restart I will certainly be investing in an extractor unit.x

I started spray tanning from home. Bought the smaller tent but then found clients & myself has issues with any overspray. Bought the biggest tent on ebay which has seemed to help but am looking into extractor fans now because i have pregnant clients, even thought i use nose filters & a face mask for me & them if they want i am still worried, not to mention the solution sneakily spraying everywhere!

I started spray tanning from home. Bought the smaller tent but then found clients & myself has issues with any overspray. Bought the biggest tent on ebay which has seemed to help but am looking into extractor fans now because i have pregnant clients, even thought i use nose filters & a face mask for me & them if they want i am still worried, not to mention the solution sneakily spraying everywhere!

Are you able to post the link to this tent please? I have been looking everywhere for a decent priced/sized tent!

I have recently started using Exposed™ as there is minimal overspray! My room used to be filled with a fog after I did a tan but not anymore there is also minimal smell so my room doesn't smell at all afterwards, highly recommend it x

Thanks AmeliaR I'm definately going to have a look but I'm based in australia so I don't think the training would apply here lol x

As a tanner for around 10 years i can tell you that you will get overspray whatever you do and whatever you use to some degree. An extractor helps but doesn't eliminate totally.
A couple of aussie tans are vani-t my personal favourite for the last 8 years or so then Mediterranean tan. Morroccan tan is also an australian brand I believe. I would use an aussie tan every time over one produced in the uk
Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you Joe :)

I am doing my training with Vani-T next week so will be very interested to gain some product knowledge :)

Who is trainibg you?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm not sure. It's a training course being held at my wholesale stores head office so I don't know too much, just saw it on a leaflet lol

I do not (yet) have an in-home tanning studio. I offer tan services primarily mobile and in a local spa. I was surprised when I wiped the filing cabinet in the area I was spray tanning (with a tent) just for personal use and found an accumulation of tan solution. :(

I think if you are doing a serious amount of spray tans an extractor fan is the absolute minimum. If you are in Europe, Australia or USA you are spoiled for choice (without tons of extra duties) the Typhoon fan looks awesome and the Turbo Twister looks great too and both are black so they disguise solution. With the Turbo Twister you can purchase 1 fan to start and then buy all three to do a tower which is a great way to make it more affordable and see if you like it. :)

If you are like me you received a white Air King fan in a start-up kit. Yes white, clearly spray tan companies have a twisted sense of humour. After following the instructions to use furnace filters (also white) I came to the realization that they were not very practical as they look awful once they have absorbed any solution and your constantly buying more not great for the environment or the pocket book.

I now use a reusable black filter similar to those found on professional extractor booths. I did a quick video on my youtube channel showing it on my Air King. I'll include the link below. :down: Also I think since your room is freshly painted you will want to take added precautions to minimize overspray and for your health. Invest in an air purifier and set up in a corner of your room possibly covering the corner with draped fabric that is washable Norvell had a diagram of setting up in a room.

I've seen other people build their own custom booth with fans and lights using common building materials and even a shower booth. I'm not that handy but I suppose if it cost substantially less which I would I could learn stuff on youtube or find someone to help.

I hope it is going really well for you! It would be great to be able to have an in-home studio and have clients come to you especially this time of year in colder climates. ;)

Here is my Fan Mod video for those interested: http://youtu.be/dfs3Bs09xJA

Wow! I really have to work on being brief...sorry. ;(

Latest posts

Back