Shellac - a learning experience!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beauty4all

Reaction score
Well I've been researching Shellac for months and I thought I would have my nails Shellac'd in a Salon first, just to see in the flesh how it's done, so picked a salon had my first Shellac.
The treatment was: No file & shape to nails, no cuticle tidy, meticulous buffing of nails, a clear liquid used to scrub nails, the base, 2 x colour & top, then clear liquid swipe. No capping. No aftercare advice (I didn't say anything as I was there to just see how they did it).
Well, I have to say they lasted for 2 weeks and I returned, but wanted to try another tech, to see what they did. Foil wraps then scraped alot with orange stick, She did file, cuticles with double ended chisel & cuticle away, clear liquid scrub, then applied as above with no capping and no aftercare advice. Again I had 2 weeks wear.
My CND kit and CND lamp have arrived, so today I thought I would have a go on my nails (following CND's instructions etc, from my months of research) and was shocked to see the state of my nails when I removed the Shellac. 8 nails-white spots galore. No buffing for me!
I have learned alot from having it done in this Salon! It reinforces to me that I will use DSperse, Dsolve, Solar oil etc. and everything else by the book and look after mine and my clients nails! Shellac Course is booked and I'm chomping at the bit!

God I find it so annoying to hear about these salons that don't do their job properly, yes the Shellac lasted, because its brill but your nails have suffered because of their incompetence. My clients nails are thoroughly prepped, using all correct products and filed, god how could they not file your nails!! Unbelievable!!. Shellac applied as it should be, solar oil applied (complimentary bottle to new clients) and then a hand massage. Now I know why I have a 2 week waiting list!! Enjoy your course, you will love it xx

God I find it so annoying to hear about these salons that don't do their job properly, yes the Shellac lasted, because its brill but your nails have suffered because of their incompetence. My clients nails are thoroughly prepped, using all correct products and filed, god how could they not file your nails!! Unbelievable!!. Shellac applied as it should be, solar oil applied (complimentary bottle to new clients) and then a hand massage. Now I know why I have a 2 week waiting list!! Enjoy your course, you will love it xx
I know! But I did learn from it! Yes, I have my Solar oil Pinkies ready and aftercare leaflets...will get my course done...lots of practice then treat my clients to a great Shellac service! (hopefully :))

There's a salon near me who charge a bargain bucket £8 for Shellac when applied like this, straight onto unshaped nails and no cuticle work. . . they have a 3 tier pricing system (depending on whether you actually want it done properly or not lol)

Did this salon have a similar pricing system?

I had a regularclient who I couldn't fit as she gave me 6hrs notice due to a last min holiday. I saw her at the school today (she's a mum there too) and asked her where she went instead and how she got on.

She told me that they didnt soak the existing gel polish off at all but just peeled it off!! This salon has been around for over 20 yrs in a very affluent area (think premiership footballers). I couldn't believe it.

Obviously didnt feel that they needed training in the correct removal procedure.

My client said her nails are now very weak. I said no wonder, they peeled off some layers of natural nail at the same time.

She won't be going back there in a hurry.

There's a salon near me who charge a bargain bucket £8 for Shellac when applied like this, straight onto unshaped nails and no cuticle work. . . they have a 3 tier pricing system (depending on whether you actually want it done properly or not lol)

Did this salon have a similar pricing system?

It actually said "Shellac Manicure - includes: File and shape nails, tidy Cuticles and application of Shellac". No other options unfortunately.

I had a regularclient who I couldn't fit as she gave me 6hrs notice due to a last min holiday. I saw her at the school today (she's a mum there too) and asked her where she went instead and how she got on.

She told me that they didnt soak the existing gel polish off at all but just peeled it off!! This salon has been around for over 20 yrs in a very affluent area (think premiership footballers). I couldn't believe it.

Obviously didnt feel that they needed training in the correct removal procedure.

My client said her nails are now very weak. I said no wonder, they peeled off some layers of natural nail at the same time.

She won't be going back there in a hurry.

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! Did u just say they PEELED it? How terrible! Poor child :(

Shellac onto unshaped nails?! When would you ever have any kind of manicure with no shaping of the nail?

The strangest thing is that people must be going back for it. :eek:

Latest posts

Back