Shellac and MRI's

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my experience Hun generally the issue with having anything on the nail which obscures the colour of the nail bed is that medical peeps like to be able to see the colour of the nail bed to ensure circulation and blood oxygen levels are as they should be. This is the only reason people having operations are requested to remove nail polish.

Having said that, never in history has an emergency operation been halted while someone nips off to get some acetone to remove nail polish, so there are ways around it. Having had a head, neck and spinal MRI myself I had no request to remove this and in fact had polish on both fingers and toes.

I would advise clients having an operation not to have anything which requires professional removal just in case, but an MRI is usually just an out patient procedure so IMHO not an issue.

My friend had a c-section earlier in the year because her baby just would not budge despite her being induced and trying forceps and allsorts. And when they did the spinal block the anaesthist (sp?) brought some acetone for her to soak off an acrylic nail. She's a beauty therapist too so she was like there's no way I'm soaking this off and just bit it off instead. She isn't actually trained in acrylic but just uses it on herself so the adhesion probably wasn't great anyway. But the anaesthist was freaking out because she bit it off lol! All the while she's shouting "I'm a beauty therapist I know what I'm doing!" Haha!

I am an MRI technologist, and I've never heard of patients having problems with nail bed burns because of Shellac. The only polish that I can think of that could potentially cause a problem is the magnetic polishes because they contain iron oxide which is ferromagnetic. There are alot of everyday products that we use that contain iron oxide, sunscreen and mineral foundation to name a few. I can't imagine Shellac would cause nail bed burns anymore than the other everyday products we use. Quite honestly, I don't think the iron oxide value is enough to cause any problems. I've recently just had a few MRI's while wearing Shellac without any problems.
On another note, eyeliner particularly glitter eyeliner does need to be removed before an MRI.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

As for removing your nail coverings before procedures, the reason is the pulse oximeter that measures your oxygen saturation will not give an accurate reading if it isn't up against the nail bed. Shellac, polish, l&p, gel and gel polish can cause this problem. Removing it from one nail is usually fine.

I am an MRI technologist, and I've never heard of patients having problems with nail bed burns because of Shellac. The only polish that I can think of that could potentially cause a problem is the magnetic polishes because they contain iron oxide which is ferromagnetic. There are alot of everyday products that we use that contain iron oxide, sunscreen and mineral foundation to name a few. I can't imagine Shellac would cause nail bed burns anymore than the other everyday products we use. Quite honestly, I don't think the iron oxide value is enough to cause any problems. I've recently just had a few MRI's while wearing Shellac without any problems.
On another note, eyeliner particularly glitter eyeliner does need to be removed before an MRI.

Just to be clear, the nurse said she didn't know the make, name etc... She never quoted Shellac.... Only you did lol so now I have to type this post to e clear!!!

As for removing your nail coverings before procedures, the reason is the pulse oximeter that measures your oxygen saturation will not give an accurate reading if it isn't up against the nail bed. Shellac, polish, l&p, gel and gel polish can cause this problem. Removing it from one nail is usually fine.

Absolutely.

I did email my resus colleague/trainer after my last ILS update to get her take on things as it slipped my mind during that day. I havn't had a reply from her as yet, so will continue to believe my initial training is still current with these guidelines.
Actually, I am due to remove my subtle French, so I may remove just one and see the difference. I'm always at either 100% or 99, so it will be interesting to see if any changes are apparent and how much of a change it is.

Latest posts

Back