Shellac and P20 sun cream

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautCuticle

Reaction score
Hello geeks,
One of my ladies is going on holiday and wants a French shellac manicure.
She said anytime she's had a French polish,gel etc and used p20 sun cream before it has sent the white yellow.
Will this happen with shellac too?
I have checked past threads and found info about it fading pinks but nothing about discolouring white.
Please help! Thank you

Hello geeks,
One of my ladies is going on holiday and wants a French shellac manicure.
She said anytime she's had a French polish,gel etc and used p20 sun cream before it has sent the white yellow.
Will this happen with shellac too?
I have checked past threads and found info about it fading pinks but nothing about discolouring white.
Please help! Thank you

I posted a similar question the other day about french shellac with a spray tan as the last time I had a french shellac on it discoloured really badly with my spray tan. The only thing I could suggest is that she makes sure she washes her hands thoroughly after application or use a baby wipe over her nails. Sorry can't be of much help. X

That's ok, anything is helpful & I will tell her about the washing hands & using a wipe it's a good idea x

Hi, I live in Spain and have found that all sun creams contain a disolvent and will dull or smear shellac. u know when u read a magazine after putting your suncream and it smudges the print, well thats the disolvent. in my customer advice care sheet for shellac i warn clients to take care with all sunscreens. hth carole x

I dont think it is fair to say all sun creams. I think it is the sun creams which contain deet which is an insect repellant that will cause issues with nail products.

The smudging on print is due to the oil in the cream rather than anything else.

I dont think it is fair to say all sun creams. I think it is the sun creams which contain deet which is an insect repellant that will cause issues with nail products.

The smudging on print is due to the oil in the cream rather than anything else.

But Fiona, remember that many oils ARE solvents in themselves. Try spilling some lavender oil on a polished table and see what happens!! lol

With soft gels and with Shellac as well, you have to be careful of these things as they are much more vulnerable to the effects of solvents than hard gels or acrylics, as we know.

It is great to be able to wrap these products off quickly but the down side is that they are vulnerable to softening if they come into contact with any solvent material. Clients need to know and for our purposes I think it is best to tell clients to be careful of all sunscreens, lotions and creams and oils.

Thanks for all the advice ladies. It is really so helpful ☺ x

Latest posts

Back