Shellac causing dry nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks really interesting thankyou guys.

Sandwhiches how do you incorporate this? After the Shellac has been applied or prior to?

Thankyou.

Thanks really interesting thankyou guys.

Sandwhiches how do you incorporate this? After the Shellac has been applied or prior to?

Thankyou.

I remove product from one hand, then put finger tips in the warmed oil. Remove product from the other hand, swap hands. Massage oil into hand and nail plate and massage the matrix. Wrap hand in a warm towel, do the same to the other. I wrap the second hand as i PEP the first one. Then start the shellac treatment, scrub fresh etc. Its rare they need the avoplex as we do cuticle removal as we go. :)

im going to try this with a couple of mine and see how i go xx

I tried the "applying oil before scrubfreshing" today.

Fingers crossed it works.

I dont have a hot towel cabi so no hot towels for me :)

How do you recommend this? Do you say it when they first start having Shellac or if they notice its become slightly dryer?
How much time do you find this adds to your service? I have some pure almond oil. Do you rate the Avoplex?

No way I am giving up my Shellac as I adore it so I need to find something to supplement it and stop this happening.

Sorry for all the questions.

Hi, if you don't have a hot towel cabinet you could try microwaving a wet washcloth

I remember seeing a thread like this on fingernailfixers Facebook page a while ago. She obviously suggested the usual solar oil and to drive it home to clients about the importance of it but she also recommended using the almond hydrating milk bath ( think I've got that right) after the shellac service and then to finish up with the solar oil and cuticle eraser moisture pack and hand massage. Easily charge an extra £5 for it xx

Register to learn.

Here is a message from my friend Doug Schoon ....

Are you removing which ever UV colour coat you are using, correctly?

picture.php

From Doug Schoon ...

One of my Facebook friends asked about the cause of the white spots shown in this picture. These types of white spots are found on the surface of the nail plate and are most often caused by improper removal of UV gel nail coatings, especially UV manicures since they are removed more often.

Improper removal takes many forms. For example, when clients pick coatings from the nails... that's improper removal.
When nail coatings are scraped from the nail forcibly... that's improper removal.
When products are pried off with the implement... that's improper removal.
Actually, any time product/coating removal damages the natural nail... that's improper removal!

When coatings are forced from the nail plate this pulls the top layer of the nail surface [away] to create these white spots.

Clients don't pay nail technicians to rush or save time during the removal process, they pay the nail technician to carefully remove the product without damaging the nail plate. I will talk about this in greater detail and show some other examples in my upcoming free webinar on Oct. 15th.

https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/114534506
"UV gel nails: Latest Findings & Best Practices"

Last edited:
I tried the "applying oil before scrubfreshing" today.

Fingers crossed it works.

I dont have a hot towel cabi so no hot towels for me :)

How do you recommend this? Do you say it when they first start having Shellac or if they notice its become slightly dryer?
How much time do you find this adds to your service? I have some pure almond oil. Do you rate the Avoplex?

No way I am giving up my Shellac as I adore it so I need to find something to supplement it and stop this happening.

Sorry for all the questions.

Any towel will do, it doesn't have to be a warm one I just think its nice to wrap the hands. You could put a flannel in hot water, really rong it out and sandwich that between dry hand towel and laynit on top of the hand.

I use my bog standard grapeseed massage oil so almond oil is perfectly fine, I'd say it adds 15/20mins MAX as essentially the hands are just wrapped and soaked whilst removing the shellac from the opposite hand and the massage is only 5 mins a hand. I like the avoplex, it's lovely and creamy and does the job. A small amount goes along way and I can pop to Sally's to buy it when I need it.

I just note how people's nails are looking, and I remind them all the time about using the solar oil twice a day. If they start to look dehydrated I just say that I think next time they'd benefit the warm oil soak and massage and it's an extra £10, the massage bit sells it on its own! :)

Register to learn.

Here is a message from my friend Doug Schoon ....

Are you removing which ever UV colour coat you are using, correctly?

picture.php

From Doug Schoon ...

One of my Facebook friends asked about the cause of the white spots shown in this picture. These types of white spots are found on the surface of the nail plate and are most often caused by improper removal of UV gel nail coatings, especially UV manicures since they are removed more often.

Improper removal takes many forms. For example, when clients pick coatings from the nails... that's improper removal.
When nail coatings are scraped from the nail forcibly... that's improper removal.
When products are pried off with the implement... that's improper removal.
Actually, any time product/coating removal damages the natural nail... that's improper removal!

When coatings are forced from the nail plate this pulls the top layer of the nail surface [away] to create these white spots.

Clients don't pay nail technicians to rush or save time during the removal process, they pay the nail technician to carefully remove the product without damaging the nail plate. I will talk about this in greater detail and show some other examples in my upcoming free webinar on Oct. 15th.

https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/114534506
"UV gel nails: Latest Findings & Best Practices"

Thankyou Geeg, I was hoping you would stumble across this thread.

As far as I am concerned I had/have been removing Shellacas I was taught so this confuses me. The only thing I do fine is that sometimes the Shellac doesn't flake away or peel of as easily as it does sometimes and more than it softens and needs gently removing with an orange stick, never forcefully though. I use Magis and always wrap for a full ten minutes, timing from when I wrap the first one and sometimes use my hot mitts. Am I doing something wrong? Is there something else I should be doing?

Any towel will do, it doesn't have to be a warm one I just think its nice to wrap the hands. You could put a flannel in hot water, really rong it out and sandwich that between dry hand towel and laynit on top of the hand.

I use my bog standard grapeseed massage oil so almond oil is perfectly fine, I'd say it adds 15/20mins MAX as essentially the hands are just wrapped and soaked whilst removing the shellac from the opposite hand and the massage is only 5 mins a hand. I like the avoplex, it's lovely and creamy and does the job. A small amount goes along way and I can pop to Sally's to buy it when I need it.

I just note how people's nails are looking, and I remind them all the time about using the solar oil twice a day. If they start to look dehydrated I just say that I think next time they'd benefit the warm oil soak and massage and it's an extra £10, the massage bit sells it on its own! :)

Thankyou Sanwhiches.

I have a nourished nails option on my pricelist I may try to incorporate this in some way.

Latest posts

Back