Shellac causing dry nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooks

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

Now that Ive got your attention Id like a little advice. I dont want to be hung drawn and quartered as I did think about not posting this!

I have been doing Shellac for nearly a year, I have had the training and follow the method exactly for application and removal. I love it. I have very few/no issues with lifting or chipping but what I have noticed is that my regular ladies who have been having it since I started here (feb) are starting to get flaky peely nails. Now I give them all aftercare and they all take solar oil away with them, obviously I know I have those that dont follow it regardless of what I say but I also know that some of them are meticulous with it and its even happening to these. I am forever preaching about how fantastic Shellac is and that it does no damage and I feel like I am having to eat my words a little.

I still want to believe it so please tell me if any of you have been finding the same or if there is something I am doing or could do to prevent this. I have actually lost a client now.

Thankyou

Zooks

I find that my clients that really do use solar oil have no problems at all with their nails and they've been having shellac since March 2011. The ones that don't use it - and I know they don't because they don't buy more oil - end up with dryer nails.

Apart from the initial pinkie bottle of solar oil that is included in the first treatment clients have to buy their solar oil. I think if they buy it they then commit to using it.

If your clients are definitely using the oil were they prone to dry nails before?

Hi Geeks

Now that Ive got your attention Id like a little advice. I dont want to be hung drawn and quartered as I did think about not posting this!

I have been doing Shellac for nearly a year, I have had the training and follow the method exactly for application and removal. I love it. I have very few/no issues with lifting or chipping but what I have noticed is that my regular ladies who have been having it since I started here (feb) are starting to get flaky peely nails. Now I give them all aftercare and they all take solar oil away with them, obviously I know I have those that dont follow it regardless of what I say but I also know that some of them are meticulous with it and its even happening to these. I am forever preaching about how fantastic Shellac is and that it does no damage and I feel like I am having to eat my words a little.

I still want to believe it so please tell me if any of you have been finding the same or if there is something I am doing or could do to prevent this. I have actually lost a client now.

Thankyou

Zooks
It could maybe be something your clients are doing with their hands? Or an internal problem. I sometimes find that certin medication can cause flaking and peeling of the nail.

HTH x

You have to remember that the nail, like skin, does flake off sometimes. When using nail polish or having naked nails you won't really notice but if your ladies have shellac on removed and replaced time after time there is no time when the nail is free to slough off these bits. The shellac is in fact doing too good a job keeping it all on. As long as the nail looks healthy and strong I shouldn't worry too much and just explain that it is what might normally come off anyway. It's a good time to emphasise aftercare and I personally can't wait for the new shellac remover!

Thankyou for replying Geeks.

Not all of them are looking healthy if Im honest. I know the nail sheds and I know this is to be expected. Do we just remove this prior to application with gentle buffing? Doesnt this go against the whole "no buffing" rule even though its for an entirely different purpose? How do you do this?

But some of them look slightly discoloured almost and weak, some get really white dry patches.

I know some are clearly lying through their teeth when they say they oil but I also know I have those that do oil, buy it regularly, and still have peeling??

I'm interested in this post as I am experiencing the exact same problem. One of my ladies religiously comes to me for shellac every 14-18 days, she uses solar oil several times a day. I know this coz she buys it by the bucket load!!! 😃

However her nails are flakey and peeling. This was not the condition her nails were in first app. 😞

Are you using Acetone, or Dsolve ?
Acetone is very drying.
I use Gelish, but when I used Acetone to remove it I found a lot of my clients nails were drying out even though they were using Solar Oil.
I switched back to the Harmony Remover and have had no problems like this since.

Maybe try the new CND remover whe it gets launched here in the UK as it is supposed to be less drying on the nail.

Every now and then I do my shellac clients a warm oil manicure and use OPI avoplex cuticle cream s the nail is really clean and hydrated, it works out about every 5th or 6th treatment. I also think environmentally the change in season can dry nails as it does our skin. :)

Hey ladies

Out of interest how old are the ladies with quite dry or peeling nails? I have had a few around the 50-55+ bracket who sometimes have issues with dry nails. Of which we've discussed and we have come to the conclusion that it is either a lack of solar oil use and/or their own health/time of life effecting the nails. It's not been shellac thats caused it is what im trying to say :) We've upped the solar oil from twice a day to 4 times a day, use of a good hand cream and added a moisture pack (cuticle eraser and solar oil) at each appointment and they have been fine again.

The other thing is lifestyle, yes solar oil hydrates the nails but the other aftercare has to be followed also- gloves to be worn etc, as well. It may be that its something they are using or doing, despite solar oil usage, that is causing the issue.

Hth x x x

I had this too! Although everyone says shellac does not damage nails I do belive the scrubfresh is to temporarily dehydrate the nail plate of surface oil and the dsolve is strong enough to remove the shellac so may dry nails slightly then you are covering them for weeks at a time. Long term user of mine, although not many are having this. As a therapist I feel it my duty to explain although shellac does not ruin nails having all the prep and removal and constant wear may cause a little dehydration and I suggest they take a weeks break If i see signs of dehydration. They respect me more and they always come back for more Shellac when their break is over.;)

Every now and then I do my shellac clients a warm oil manicure and use OPI avoplex cuticle cream s the nail is really clean and hydrated, it works out about every 5th or 6th treatment. I also think environmentally the change in season can dry nails as it does our skin. :)

Do you mean you do this instead of the Shellac service? How would you include this?
I like the idea of it.

My ladies range in age from 26 up to 54.

I use Dsolve and will be switching to the new remover.

I dont want to go down the whole "take a break" debate as it seems to be so ill advised if you are doing it correctly they should need a break, or so I keep telling them. I have contemplated it. Maybe making it part of the routine like Sandwhiches says? Like one normal manicure every 2 months or something. To include a good moisture boost? Not sure if I would retain many clients that way though if they left with bare nails??

I have exactly the same problem with dry flaky nails some of my ladies it does seem to be after 4th or 5th time I do the exact method of application and removal & use all correct products I've read it on here :) I'm actually using shellac sandwiched between gelish on mine & a few clients now & am finding less dehydration & stronger nails !!

Hey lovey

How about giving sweet squared a call. Remember they don't stop helping you after training or buying products- they give ongoing support :)

X c x

I didnt honestly think they were there for that but I certainly will.

I am interested in the idea of marketing a nourishing mani ever so often especially for those clients that admit they dont use their oil but still dont see its them causing the dryness. Maybe this could prevent it?

I didnt honestly think they were there for that but I certainly will.

I am interested in the idea of marketing a nourishing mani ever so often especially for those clients that admit they dont use their oil but still dont see its them causing the dryness. Maybe this could prevent it?

Zooks their support is amazing and sometimes speaking to someone on the phone helps even more. Im not sure who you would call exactly but call the main number and id say press the option for a little love and respect. Ive not had issues with shellac when ive called them, but i emailed debbie davies in training who put me through to someone else and she helped me with a part of a treatment that i wasnt sure if i was able or allowed to do. She talked me through the whole process and the appt went like a dream. S2 arent just a supplier :)

Yes you could do a nourishing mani, warm oil soak perhaps to drive home the use of solar oil. Its a tough one when they dont do as theyre told isnt it, especially when you know its them causing it. Alternatively you could always do a solar oil benefits and properties print out and give to each client. Explaining not only the positives of using it and why its essential with shellac but explain the negatives if you dont use it. Would this work? i dont know, but sometimes people need to be taught in different ways if verbal isnt getting through :)

X x x

I was also having this problem.

We currently only have pure acetone here in NZ which is obviously very drying on nails. When I am removing Shellac, I douse each nail in solar oil as I finish each nail.

By the time removal is finished, each nail has had a good wee soak of oil. I scrubfresh as usual afterwards which removes all the surface oil, but the nails are hydrated underneath.

By doing this, I have eliminated the dryness and dehydration I was seeing in my clients before. No problems at all with the Shellac lifting etc - just get everywhere with the scrubfresh :) This has made a great difference for me and my clients.

I was also having this problem.

We currently only have pure acetone here in NZ which is obviously very drying on nails. When I am removing Shellac, I douse each nail in solar oil as I finish each nail.

By the time removal is finished, each nail has had a good wee soak of oil. I scrubfresh as usual afterwards which removes all the surface oil, but the nails are hydrated underneath.

By doing this, I have eliminated the dryness and dehydration I was seeing in my clients before. No problems at all with the Shellac lifting etc - just get everywhere with the scrubfresh :) This has made a great difference for me and my clients.

Does this not effect the longevity of you service? I cant imagine this being a recommended thing to do although I understand the reason why.

Does this not effect the longevity of you service? I cant imagine this being a recommended thing to do although I understand the reason why.

No it is does affect the longevity at all. As I said, the Scrubfresh removes the surface oil whilst leaving the nail hydrated. No problems whatsoever with the Shellac lasting, and I have a lot of regular Shellac clients.

Do you mean you do this instead of the Shellac service? How would you include this?
I like the idea of it.

My ladies range in age from 26 up to 54.

I use Dsolve and will be switching to the new remover.

I dont want to go down the whole "take a break" debate as it seems to be so ill advised if you are doing it correctly they should need a break, or so I keep telling them. I have contemplated it. Maybe making it part of the routine like Sandwhiches says? Like one normal manicure every 2 months or something. To include a good moisture boost? Not sure if I would retain many clients that way though if they left with bare nails??

As well as, I just say that next visit I think they'd benefit from it and they are happy. I charge an extra £10 for it :)

Edited to add I think you can scrub solar oil into to the nail plate too for added hydration.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back