Shellac chips on my nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

effossixy

Reaction score
Hello

I have just started using soak off polish this past months. I got done gelfx and I LOVE IT. It stays perfectly for 2-3 weeks (obv except for the regrowth) but it doesn't chip.
Also my technician said that when she uses gelfx she applied a different brand's top coat that doesn't chip. it's a black bottle with maybe like a tree or nature in the name or logo.

Yesterday I used Shellac for the very first time and I already have 2 nails that have chipped. So now I am confused. Everybody is always raving about shellac, however it's been hardly 24h and it's already chipping.

Is this normal?

What's the brand that stays the longest without chipping ? Gelish and some others are pretty popular here too.

EDIT : I am not a technician, I get it done in a salon.
My concern is, is this issue with shellac common or is it maybe due to the way it was applied? All products were Shellac and it is a nail salon that only uses CND products and they are officially authorized to do so.

Last edited:
Hi, are you using the full CND Shellac system including all PEP products and lamp, are you sealing the free edge and applying in nice thin layers..x

Agree with above, you want to cure Shellac in a CND lamp and apply properly in order to "test" it out

Why do i get the feeling your inflammatory title to your thread will start an endless war! I will disappear while still have my head!:smack:

I think you've already answered your own question there, if Gelfx is so good why not go back to that?

Also Shellac applied as per the CND training, using all CND products and the client following their aftercare is very durable? Did you ensure all of that?

Hello

I have just started using soak off polish this past months. I got done gelfx and I LOVE IT. It stays perfectly for 2-3 weeks (obv except for the regrowth) but it doesn't chip.
Also my technician said that when she uses gelfx she applied a different brand's top coat that doesn't chip. it's a black bottle with maybe like a tree or nature in the name or logo.

Yesterday I used Shellac for the very first time and I already have 2 nails that have chipped. So now I am confused. Everybody is always raving about shellac, however it's been hardly 24h and it's already chipping.

Is this normal?

What's the brand that stays the longest without chipping ? Gelish and some others are pretty popular here too.

I don't 100% understand your post, sorry.
Are you a nail technician or do you mean your having gel fx/ shellac applied at a salon?
Sam x

I use Gelish and love it, it lasts really long and has a lot of colours.

Shellac isn't a gel polish it's a "power polish" that's cured under a uv light (someone correct me if I'm wrong). It does need the shellac lamp to be cured properly, not just any lamp will cure it.

It sounds like you really like the gelfx brand, if you like it so much and prefer it to Shellac then you should invest in it. Shellac isn't for everyone, I'm going to give it a try some day soon and see how much I like the system and decide whether I'll invest in it to run it alongside my Gelish system :) xx

Agree with above, you want to cure Shellac in a CND lamp and apply properly in order to "test" it out

Hi, are you using the full CND Shellac system including all PEP products and lamp, are you sealing the free edge and applying in nice thin layers..x

I think you've already answered your own question there, if Gelfx is so good why not go back to that?

Also Shellac applied as per the CND training, using all CND products and the client following their aftercare is very durable? Did you ensure all of that?

I don't 100% understand your post, sorry.
Are you a nail technician or do you mean your having gel fx/ shellac applied at a salon?
Sam x

I use Gelish and love it, it lasts really long and has a lot of colours.

Shellac isn't a gel polish it's a "power polish" that's cured under a uv light (someone correct me if I'm wrong). It does need the shellac lamp to be cured properly, not just any lamp will cure it.

It sounds like you really like the gelfx brand, if you like it so much and prefer it to Shellac then you should invest in it. Shellac isn't for everyone, I'm going to give it a try some day soon and see how much I like the system and decide whether I'll invest in it to run it alongside my Gelish system :) xx

I am not a technician, I get it done in a salon.
My concern is, is this issue with shellac common or is it maybe due to the way it was applied? All products were Shellac and it is a nail salon that only uses CND products and they are officially authorized to do so.

Also I got it done around 5pm in the afternoon and it was cracked the next day when I woke up. I didn't do any washing, used products nor did any chore.

What condition are your nails in? Shellac works best on strong nails. You maybe need something stronger. (I believe CND now offer a product to go under shellac to give your nails added strength) My nails grow amazingly well with Bio sculpture gel on... The minute I remove it & get on with everyday tasks (cleaning , opening things) my natural nails break.

Xx

I am not a technician, I get it done in a salon.

Also I got it done around 5pm in the afternoon and it was cracked the next day when I woke up. I didn't do any washing, used products nor did any chore.

Ah that's what I thought you meant.
Did you return to the salon and tell the nail tech what happened? Maybe she can shed some light in the situation for you/ rectify it.
Shellac isn't for everyone though, but I'd definitely speak to your nail tech. x

Ah that's what I thought you meant.
Did you return to the salon and tell the nail tech what happened? Maybe she can shed some light in the situation for you/ rectify it.
Shellac isn't for everyone though, but I'd definitely speak to your nail tech. x
Yes I did and she fixed the one that broke.

She said that it's because I previously had another soak off gel polish (gelfx) and that's why shellac cracked and chipped. Don't see why , but that's what she said.

Yes I did and she fixed the one that broke.

She said that it's because I previously had another soak off gel polish (gelfx) and that's why shellac cracked and chipped. Don't see why , but that's what she said.

Ok, "fixed the one that broke"
Did you bend/break your natural nail?
If yes, there's your answer.

Shellac is NOT an enhancement system. It is UNIQUE. Other 'similar' products are thinner viscosity uv gel with colour. That is NOT what Shellac is.
It's a Power Polish, so it doesn't offer the 'hardness' of a gel product. It is simply colour that LASTS! While it does offer a form of protection against peeling, and doesn't chip under normal circumstances; if you bash a nail and bend/break the nail, the Shellac will go with it.

What you wore on your nails previously is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the performance.
HOWEVER if your nails were damaged and/or weak, this is a weak base for the Shellac.

Also it's not 'what' you do, but HOW you do it.
I've had clients break a nail just from pulling up a pair of jeans....
To give a simple analogy:

My youngest is 50lbs soaking wet, yet stomps through the house like an elephant.
My husband is built like an American Football player at 6'4" and 200lbs and you don't hear him coming.

I wear long nails and have done house renovations without chipping a single nail.
It's not the 'what' but the 'how'.

Some people are rougher on their hands than they think and require a stronger system.

Ok, "fixed the one that broke"
Did you bend/break your natural nail?
If yes, there's your answer.

Shellac is NOT an enhancement system. It is UNIQUE. Other 'similar' products are thinner viscosity uv gel with colour. That is NOT what Shellac is.
It's a Power Polish, so it doesn't offer the 'hardness' of a gel product. It is simply colour that LASTS! While it does offer a form of protection against peeling, and doesn't chip under normal circumstances; if you bash a nail and bend/break the nail, the Shellac will go with it.

What you wore on your nails previously is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the performance.
HOWEVER if your nails were damaged and/or weak, this is a weak base for the Shellac.

Also it's not 'what' you do, but HOW you do it.
I've had clients break a nail just from pulling up a pair of jeans....
To give a simple analogy:

My youngest is 50lbs soaking wet, yet stomps through the house like an elephant.
My husband is built like an American Football player at 6'4" and 200lbs and you don't hear him coming.

I wear long nails and have done house renovations without chipping a single nail.
It's not the 'what' but the 'how'.

Some people are rougher on their hands than they think and require a stronger system.
Thank you for your reply.
Im not actually blaming shellac but rather Im saying that I have rather weak nails and if that was common for certain type of nails.

In your opinion, what's the most effective soak off gel polish ? Is it the one with more gel in it? And which one would that be?

Thanks

Im not actually blaming shellac but rather Im saying that I have rather weak nails and if that was common for certain type of nails.

In your opinion, what's the most effective soak off gel polish ? Is it the one with more gel in it? And which one would that be?

Thanks

Shellac has various companion products that can be used with it to accommodate those with weak and bendy nails. There is both the Brisa Lite Smoothing gel option or the Brisa Lite hard gel option that can be applied underneath the Shellac, for challenged nails, and both are removeable as well. Ask your technician for one of these options and you will be sorted. x

Last edited:

Thanks

There is no such thing as "most effective soak off gel polish". Just as there is no such thing as "most effective acrylic" or uv gel, or shampoo, or soap.
Different strokes for different folks.

I'm a CND Tech. I don't use other systems. I've tried many, and found what I love. I would do as suggested below by Geeg.
;)
Shellac has various companion products that can be used with it to accommodate those with weak and bendy nails. There is both the Brisa Lite Smoothing gel option or the Brisa Lite hard gel option that can be applied underneath the Shellac, for challenged nails, and both are removeable as well. Ask your technician for one of these options and you will be sorted. x

Latest posts

Back