Shellac colour faded towards free edge?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waffle4

Reaction score
Hi Geeks, I've recently invested in Shellac and did a Shellac class too. I have not yet started on paying clients but did my friends' 8 days ago as a trial and I saw them yesterday (1 week since applying) and the colour has all faded up towards the free edge. What on earth could have caused this? She is wearing Romantique which I applied in 3 very thin coats (over the basecoat) as it wasn't solid enough. I then used topcoat. I sealed all edges and apart from this colour fading the nails are perfect, no chips or anything. My friend has been wearing gloves for all housework etc and is using solar oil twice daily so I don't understand what's happened. Any ideas?? I can't let myself loose on the paying public til I'm 100% confident in it so need to sort this problem out pronto.

All help gratefully received,

Thank you xx

I would firstly look at your polishing techniques, keep the brush as flat to the nail as possible, this will ensure an even coverage of product over the entire nail, if you are using the brush at more of an angle, when you pull your brush down to the free edge you will find you are starting to apply more pressure which will just be like pulling/dragging the polish off, if that makes sense. Romantique gives a great coverage in 2 coats, the above maybe the reason you had to do a 3rd coat.
David

Well some colours are just more sheer than others, although I don't like Romantique so I don't have it. I don't like to put any more than 2 colour coats on as a rule, and I always tell my clients whether the colour they're choosing is sheer or semi sheer or opaque.

Anyways, did she use anything like sunscreen? Go in a pool? The only time that happened to me was being in the pool on holi. The chlorine was so hard on them.

Hi, Thanks for your replies. The colour looked perfect when it was done - just approx 3 or 4 days later it started fading and she hasn't used suncream or been in a pool or anything so it's really weird. The CND lady said that Romantique is fine to use in 3 thin coats because apparently it does have a tendency to come out patchy she said (so it's not just me). This is the only colour I've tried so far apart from a french on my daughter and that has lasted perfectly. I'm just really confused about the fading?????

If it was fine when she left you and you used all the correct equipment then in my opinion it sounds like client interference. Perhaps cleaning products, hair dye... often people will either not remember or not want to admit responsibility.
Get Shellacing at look at results across the board as opposed to one individual application :hug:

try it once more on her with romantique and see what happens. let us know!

try it once more on her with romantique and see what happens. let us know!

Will have to try it with someone else coz this has put her off Romantique! I honestly don't think it's anything she's done coz she would tell me coz she knows it's a trial (free!)............

Will have to try it with someone else coz this has put her off Romantique! I honestly don't think it's anything she's done coz she would tell me coz she knows it's a trial (free!)............

you'd be surprised what people wont tell you. my mom will never tell me the terrible things she does to her nails and acts all bewildered when she messes them up. silly woman. :lol:

you'd be surprised what people wont tell you. my mom will never tell me the terrible things she does to her nails and acts all bewildered when she messes them up. silly woman. :lol:

agreed! My sister in law swears blind she solar oils/ looks after her nails etc... usually I catch her with them in her mouth before I even leave! She doesnt realise she's doing it!

People also do things without thought so when you ask... no they didnt do anything to spoil them... as far as they remember.

But what would cause the colour to fade? x

But what would cause the colour to fade? x

Waffle, you haven't explained it clearly on here but I assume when you say fading, you actually mean the colour fading and not just 'wearing off' at the free edge..?

To retain colour stabillty, special stablilisers are added to the majority of cosmetic products to prevent colours from changing and fading.
Unfortunely though, some pigments that are approved for cosmetics are more likely to fade than others. Therefore, just like when wearing nail polish or other cosmetic products, some clients may experience slight fading when wearing some shellac colours.

Some colours have a greater tendency to fade than others. In general, lighter colours are less stable than darker colours.

Shellac is formulated with acetone soluble polymers which creates the tiny tunnels allowing it to be removed in 10 minutes. These tiny tunnels also make Shellac less chemically resistant than other more stronger products such as L+P and UV gel. Therefore some pigments in Shellac can be easily attacked by chemical exposure during daily activities such as cleaning, laundry, gardening, swimming, car washing, bathing etc...

Sun light exposure can also make colours fade faster. Heat and humidity can accelerate fading when combines with chemical or sunlight exposure.

We have had some very hot and nice weather last week. I personally don't think it is just the one thing which has caused the fading, I think it could be the combination of several things together - chemicals, heat and UV exposure.

I am not quoting that CND Shellac has a major problem with colour fading, as yet, I myself is still to meet a client whose Shellac has faded. But I am aware of this possibility and IF your clients are the very small minority who are experiencing fading problems, then these could be some of the causes to consider.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Waffle, you haven't explained it clearly on here but I assume when you say fading, you actually mean the colour fading and not just 'wearing off' at the free edge..?

To retain colour stabillty, special stablilisers are added to the majority of cosmetic products to prevent colours from changing and fading.
Unfortunely though, some pigments that are approved for cosmetics are more likely to fade than others. Therefore, just like when wearing nail polish or other cosmetic products, some clients may experience slight fading when wearing some shellac colours.

Some colours have a greater tendency to fade than others. In general, lighter colours are less stable than darker colours.

Shellac is formulated with acetone soluble polymers which creates the tiny tunnels allowing it to be removed in 10 minutes. These tiny tunnels also make Shellac less chemically resistant than other more stronger products such as L+P and UV gel. Therefore some pigments in Shellac can be easily attacked by chemical exposure during daily activities such as cleaning, laundry, gardening, swimming, car washing, bathing etc...

Sun light exposure can also make colours fade faster. Heat and humidity can accelerate fading when combines with chemical or sunlight exposure.

We have had some very hot and nice weather last week. I personally don't think it is just the one thing which has caused the fading, I think it could be the combination of several things together - chemicals, heat and UV exposure.

I am not quoting that CND Shellac has a major problem with colour fading, as yet, I myself is still to meet a client whose Shellac has faded. But I am aware of this possibility and IF your clients are the very small minority who is experiencing fading problems, then these could be some of the causes to consider.

Hope this helps.

That is a brilliantly informative reply, thankyou:hug:

Yes, the colour isn't "worn" away but actually faded. Gosh, i'm coming to the conclusion that Shellac may not be as "strong" as I imagined........ xx

Just thinking about flowers reply. Does your client use sunbeds? X

That is a brilliantly informative reply, thankyou:hug:

Yes, the colour isn't "worn" away but actually faded. Gosh, i'm coming to the conclusion that Shellac may not be as "strong" as I imagined........ xx

The thing is, that shellac is not meant to be 'strong'. Yes, it gives protection but it does not give the strength of enhancements.
Shellac is a power polish which means that it acts almost the same as a polish. It is a natural nail product. So if polish stays on your clients nails for 3 days before chipping and shellac stays for a week. Then your client has instantly achieved more with shellac already.
I think it is important for us to not misunderstand shellac as a product that it is not.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using SalonGeek

Yes, sorry "strong" was the wrong word. Just didn't expect colour fading. it is billed as "14 day wear"............

Just thinking about flowers reply. Does your client use sunbeds? X

Good thinking, but alas, no, she hasn't used sunbeds............ xx

I have used Romantique on myself for the past three months, and has never experienced any fading (two layeres). And I am very hard on my nails.
I agree with Jaydee, and her advise on brush position.

Good luck on finding the solution, and let us know :)

Latest posts

Back