Shellac colours - your top 5 must haves if you were just starting out!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjmadmum

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I have just done my Shellac course, and as the title says I would like to know peoples favourite colours to buy if you were buying for the first time and could only afford 5. I have bought the Shellac starter pack which included, wildfire, fedora, cream puff and negligee but need to add to my collection. My problem is I have also bought the Brisa Light Smoothing and Sculpting Gel kits and paid for the courses, so I am now on a limited budget. I really want to start practicing with a few more colours, and have read through loads of threads on here (actually all I do is spend my time on here researching :eek:).
I have written down recommended colours from the 'basic collection thread', fabulous and very helpful, but now I am bogged down with what I should buy. I would love to buy them all! I know I need, 1 dark, 1 dark red, 1 red, 3 pinks, (super, light and bright), 1 wild card, 1 neutral, 1 sheer, 1 white, 1 wild card, and a sheer for french, and don't even get me started on wanting to buy the glitters and additives (not to mention wanting to buy every colour! )
Would love a bit of guidance from all you lovely experts, just to get me started on my exciting new adventure. :hug:

Sarah xxxx

1 red - Wildfire
1 dark - Fedora
1 White - Cream Puff
1 Sheer for French - Negligee

Personally, I couldn't get by without a purple (Rock Royalty) and Blackpool

Wildcard - Tropix
Dark Red - Masquerade (this is popular with all ages)
Bright Pink - Tutti Frutti or Hot Pop
Light Pink - Strawberry Smoothie/Cake Pop depending on your client base

Blackpool
Dark lava
Hot pop pink
Negligee (and cream puff if you want to do French)
Tropix

X

It really does depend on your client base. My most popular (not necessairily my faves) are

tutti frutti
wildfire
purple purple
blackpool
midnight swim

You may be as well getting a couple of additives as this will give you more colour options and will be cheaper than buying more colours :)

wildfire (classic postbox red)
masquerade (dark red)
moonlight & roses (pearly shimmer on its own or used as a top layer, turns anything else into a lighter shade of itself, effectively doubling up your colours)
strawberry smoothie (pale pearly pink on its own or as a top layer, turns you other colours into metallics, giving you even more options!)
tutti frutti (fuschia)

These options should give you several options:

Each colour by itself (5)
Wildfire, masquerade and tutti frutti plus moonlight & roses (3)
Wildfire, masquerade and tutti frutti plus strawberry smoothie (3)

I make this 11 colour options from your 5 colours and all really popular ones.

Hi geeks,

I have just done my Shellac course, and as the title says I would like to know peoples favourite colours to buy if you were buying for the first time and could only afford 5. I have bought the Shellac starter pack which included, wildfire, fedora, cream puff and negligee but need to add to my collection. My problem is I have also bought the Brisa Light Smoothing and Sculpting Gel kits and paid for the courses, so I am now on a limited budget. I really want to start practicing with a few more colours, and have read through loads of threads on here (actually all I do is spend my time on here researching :eek:).
I have written down recommended colours from the 'basic collection thread', fabulous and very helpful, but now I am bogged down with what I should buy. I would love to buy them all! I know I need, 1 dark, 1 dark red, 1 red, 3 pinks, (super, light and bright), 1 wild card, 1 neutral, 1 sheer, 1 white, 1 wild card, and a sheer for french, and don't even get me started on wanting to buy the glitters and additives (not to mention wanting to buy every colour! )
Would love a bit of guidance from all you lovely experts, just to get me started on my exciting new adventure. :hug:

Sarah xxxx
1 dark - dark lava
1 dark red - decadence
1 red - holly wood ( but you already have wildfire in your start kit so would get another dark like midnight swim)
3 pinks - hot pop pink, rose bud and then lilac longing, which isn't pink but do you really need 3 pinks??
1 wildcard - hmmmmm overtly onyx!!!
1 neutral cocoa or rubble
1 white you already have cream puff
1 French pink BEAU!!! My fav French colour!!

Also think in your head (as we are not aloud to post trade prices) how much a bottle of CND Shellac cost???

Now think how much those pots of glitter cost?? You could probably buy 4 pots of glitter for the price of one bottle of CND Shellac!? And of course you charge extra for glitter on top of CND Shellac so would be minimal costs but getting more profit :)

Thank you thank you so much ladies

This has really helped me, and confirmed virtually what I was thinking, just needed some experts to give me the guidance, as said before I have just got bogged down, probably becauseI have gone into this far too deeply. I really should lighten up and just go for it, all I do is worry (lol).

And adding a few additives is a fabulous idea!

Am off to put my first 5 colours in (and a couple of additives - mmm now what should those be I ask myself ha ha ha). Then I can have a play day all day tomorrow :biggrin:.

Hopefully I can get some more colours very soon, really love the new Springtime collection.

Once again, thanks for your help I really appreciate it xxx

Latest posts

Back