Shellac fading?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjg1

Reaction score
Hey!
Ive been doing shellac for about 6 months now and not had a any negative feedback. However, i did a lady 2 weeks ago for her hols and she returned yesterday to have them removed. She had tropix and i did everything i normally do but it had completely faded on her toes, no chipping or lifting just faded colour, and on her hands there were patches of faded areas. Has anyone else had this or does anyone know why it may have happened? Ive not had any other 'holiday makers' with this problem :-(

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Iv had it before when people have been on hol don't really know how to prevent it presume it's caused by sun sea pool? Maybe try putting s normal topcoat on top to protect them ive found it doesn't happen with the darker colours tho

I did wonder if it was due to sunlight but wasnt sure then thought maybe the sand?! I will try the top coat next time. Thank u x

Chlorine can cause fading.

Ok thank u

Lets get the right information !! :Love:

There are only a few Shellac colours that are prone to fading and these are the softer more semi sheer pinks .. and only the pinks. The pigment in the pinks is more prone to fading and this is unavoidable in all systems. Colour pigments have to be approved by health authorities in Europe and the USA and the approved one is prone to fading !

Why?

1. Because Shellac (and coloured gels) is more porous than L&P or Hard Gel which is why they come off quickly but the down side is they are more vulnerable to certain things.

2. Chlorine is a bleach

3. Sun Bleaches

4. Add the two together and you have double trouble, but a solution is to just dry your fingers and toes when you come out of the pool and then you remove the bleach (or half of it anyway.)

5. Some suntan lotions also break down the surface making it even more porous.

6. We all know that Brits abroad way overdo the sun thing, which means they way overdo the suntan lotion and the insect repellent thing and they swim allot more .... which certainly helps to explain why they have this problem and our clients in Spain who live here do not!.

All this information is contained on the Shellac Aftercare Advice sheet .. have you not been handing them out to your clients?? It helps to avoid allot of questions and disappointment. If you or anyone else wants a copy of the Shellac Aftercare Advise to print out for clients, just email me [email protected] along with your S2 (sweet squared) customer number for verification, and I will be happy to send it to you. :Love:

isn't it the Deet(insect repellent) in sun protection that causes problems with shellac??? and what exactly does the deet do.....???i have my science brain on today

Deet melts almost anything, nail coverings, varnish on furniture, etc. never handle it without something to wipe it off with, lol x

Thanks to Gigi, I have this all detailed on my aftercare advice card AND I have it printed and laminated right by where by clients sit and they all read it there too.

Deet causes the chipping and lifting of shellac. Best thing to do is avoid it altogether but if you can't try nit to get it in nails. With chlorine in water dry your nails off as soon as you get out so the sun can't react with the chlorine turning it White. Other than that the magic thing to use is SOLAR OIL!!! apply it to nails before going into pool or applying lotion etc as it will create a barrier over the nails and help to protect. Might not solve the problem 100% but will certainly help it not get so bad!

Thank you everyone. Will email you geeg thank you so much, i wasnt aware of an aftercare advice sheet and i did the shellac training day in london!
Im glad i asked now, thanks guys :)

Which pinks are not affected by this fading and which are affected badly by this ?

I was after a couple of new pinks on my next order and want non fading ones if possible !

None of the pinks will fade if clients follow correct aftercare.

posted the EXACT same thing yesterday, thankyou Geeg for responding to this. I must say I was aware of the possibility of fading with Chlorine and sun but not just sun.

so literally drying them off before sunbathing will prevent fade? Does coating your nails in sunscreen help?

posted the EXACT same thing yesterday, thankyou Geeg for responding to this. I must say I was aware of the possibility of fading with Chlorine and sun but not just sun.

so literally drying them off before sunbathing will prevent fade? Does coating your nails in sunscreen help?

Drying them may not completely prevent fading but it will certainly help.
Some of the pinks will fade when people 'go at it in the sun' the way they do, it all depends on how extreme the exposure is. Normal sun exposure won't fade the colours. Some sunscreens can ruin Shellac if they contain DEET.

Thankyou Geeg. I do give all of my home care advice at the time of treatment but looking like aftercare leaflets are the way forward, is it wise to warn them about the pinks being more susceptible to this?

Thankyou Geeg. I do give all of my home care advice at the time of treatment but looking like aftercare leaflets are the way forward, is it wise to warn them about the pinks being more susceptible to this?

Absolutely!

Latest posts

Back