Shellac help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twiggs89

Reaction score
hello, ive got a client booked back in this week who loves having her shellac manicure done by me even though i can never get it to last longer than a week! all my other clients can have it on for nearly 3weeks!

I remember reading on here a while back that some clients nails may be naturally more oily than others which makes shellac harder to bond. They suggested to scrub fresh the nail plate and apply a thin coat of base straight away, then flash cure it in the lamp?

Has anyone had this problem and tried this method? Id really love to get it last longer than a week on her!

Thanks xx

I think , may not be right!!, someone said using cool blue after scrub fresh for extra dehydration x

For those ladies I do a nailfresh sandwich, scrub well with scrub fresh, apply nailfresh then re scrubfresh. Remember when scrubfreshing that it is a scrub not a soak don't get them too wet.

i cant see that being right as the base only cures for 10 secs anyway!!how would you flash cure it !!

i think with this client you either need to be extra sure that you are thoroughly scrubfreshing and prepping or just maybe it doesnt suit her nails!

i have used a 2nd top coat on some clients that are a bit harder on their nails xx

Sorry I'm a bit confused.

When you say flash cure the base what do you mean? - Usually if you flash cure, it would be curing your product for 10 seconds and this is what we cure for the base for anyway.

I personally wouldn't use any other products to dehydrate the nail plate, as it wouldn't be part of the system.

Try a second coat of top coat... this tends to work a treat for chip prone clients like this.

HTHs

i cant see that being right as the base only cures for 10 secs anyway!!how would you flash cure it !!

i think with this client you either need to be extra sure that you are thoroughly scrubfreshing and prepping or just maybe it doesnt suit her nails!

i have used a 2nd top coat on some clients that are a bit harder on their nails xx

souz, you type WAY faster than me! :lol:

Sorry about that! :)

thanks for all your comments. what i think i read 'flash curing' means to scrub fresh one nail, apply base coat, cure for ten seconds, then start on the next nail until all 10 have had that process? Instead of scrubfreshing all of the nails then applying base coat to all of them?
Im guessing the nail stays super dehydrated then without any oils coming back before getting the chance to put the base coat on? What do you think?

thanks for all your comments. what i think i read 'flash curing' means to scrub fresh one nail, apply base coat, cure for ten seconds, then start on the next nail until all 10 have had that process? Instead of scrubfreshing all of the nails then applying base coat to all of them?
Im guessing the nail stays super dehydrated then without any oils coming back before getting the chance to put the base coat on? What do you think?

Awhh I see what you mean.

Well, unless you were a very slow worker, the natural oil wouldn't have time to come back into the nails, although sometimes oils are transferred back onto the nails when clients touch their face or hair after you have scrubfreshed.

Instead, I would scrub each nail for about 10 seconds, making sure you scrub well as if you were removing red polish.

Give the extra top coat a try and see how you get on.

Awhh I see what you mean.

Well, unless you were a very slow worker, the natural oil wouldn't have time to come back into the nails, although sometimes oils are transferred back onto the nails when clients touch their face or hair after you have scrubfreshed.

Instead, I would scrub each nail for about 10 seconds, making sure you scrub well as if you were removing red polish.

Give the extra top coat a try and see how you get on.

Please excuse my newbie ignorance but where would the oil 'come back' from unless the client was doing as you say and touching their face and hair etc? I love this site. I am learning so much more on here than I ever did at college! x

Please excuse my newbie ignorance but where would the oil 'come back' from unless the client was doing as you say and touching their face and hair etc? I love this site. I am learning so much more on here than I ever did at college! x

We have natural oils and moisture in our nails and after roughly 45 minutes the natural shine will come back as the Scrubfresh only temporally dehydrates them.

We have natural oils and moisture in our nails and after roughly 45 minutes the natural shine will come back as the Scrubfresh only temporally dehydrates them.

Thank you :)

souz, you type WAY faster than me! :lol:

Sorry about that! :)

angel - i was a PA to 6 Directors so i had to type fast!!!

I do always say to them to not touch anything once ive scrubfreshed but i will definitly give it a go holding the scrub fresh on the nail alot longer than normal, and try a second base coat on her.
If anyone else thinks of something then please let me know :) i love learning other peoples little tips :)

Sorry second top coat not base.

I do always say to them to not touch anything once ive scrubfreshed but i will definitly give it a go holding the scrub fresh on the nail alot longer than normal, and try a second base coat on her.
If anyone else thinks of something then please let me know :) i love learning other peoples little tips :)

second top coat not base coat was advised

Remember, it's also just as important that you aren't in the habit of touching your client's nails after you have scrubfreshed for the same reasons.

I personally wouldn't use any other products to dehydrate the nail plate, as it wouldn't be part of the system.
A scrubfresh nailfresh sandwich has been advised by Sweet Squared in rare instances. It's not usually necessary but is ok to do.

A scrubfresh nailfresh sandwich has been advised by Sweet Squared in rare instances. It's not usually necessary but is ok to do.

Oh I never knew that!

Hi,

When you say the Shellac only lasts a week, what happens to it? Does it chip?

I've found that Shellac lasts for ages on clients with strong natural nails, but if a client has weaker, flaky or more brittle nails then they will need to have it re-done more frequently. Also, does she do anything with her hands that might mean the Shellac lasts less? i.e. lots of gardening without gloves etc?!

From what she tells me she is very good with her nails. Applies solor oil once a day doesnt pick at things, wears gloves when shes cleaning etc.

A scrubfresh nailfresh sandwich sounds like a good try. Ive seen that on sweet squared but didnt know if that product was used to dehydrate for nail extensions instead. But i guess maybe nailprime would be used for those?

Latest posts

Back