Shellac (I could CRY)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsellor

Reaction score
Hi All

Please help

I have been doing shellac now for 3 months and LOVE IT but recently every one I do seems to loft straight off! my application is spot on BUT when prepping I have used an nsi de hydrate instead of scrub fresh and after application I have used nsi cleanse instead of d sperse!!! Could this be why???????

I was told at nsi that I could use these!!!!!!!!!!

My ladies keep coming back and I could cry some have lasted but the majority have lifter straight off!

Please help as I am having sleepless nights about this xxxx

Hi there

I would imagine its probably not helping matters. You should be doing a thorough dry PEP or if using cuticle remover make sure the residue is washed away afterwards and dried properly.

You should be using scrubfresh, not a nail de-hydrater as I believe the de-hydrater will not be cleaning the nail plate and removing contaminates and oils.

You should also be using d-spearse to make sure the inhibition layer is removed correctly, leaving Shellac with the glorious shine that it is known for.

Last edited:
I think you've answered your own question OP

definately use scrub fresh :)

Thanks I ran out of scrub fresh and have just re ordered! I will see how this goes other than that I have no idea what I am doing wrong x

i was using nsi as well instead of scrub fresh as my local distributor said it was the same thing but cheaper in price. WRONG! all my shellac was lifting and i never had that problem before so it was definitely the nsi stuff.

CND PRODUCTS FOREVER!! :lol:

I use NSI dehydrator and don't have a single problem. The ONLY reason I use it is cause I can buy it from the wholesalers within walking distance of my house, rather than pay delivery charges from S2 - works fine for me so honestly can't see that being an issue.

I've created a product for cleansing the nail plate AND removing the inhibition layer of Shellac. It really works, and it's cheaper than ScrubFresh.

I suppose any company could sell that line. LOL. No, I don't have a product. But, if they tell someone it works with Shellac, anyone is bound to try it. So, no fault on yourself, there!

I'd say that's the problem. It's definitely a system. CND Shellac. CND ScrubFresh. CND lamp. I'd pay more for the confidence CND gives me! :)

yep, use the whole system, it'll end up costing you more in the long run, Scrubfresh and D-sperse are just as essential, otherwise it's not really Shellac, it's designed to work with these products.

I use NSI dehydrator and don't have a single problem. The ONLY reason I use it is cause I can buy it from the wholesalers within walking distance of my house, rather than pay delivery charges from S2 - works fine for me so honestly can't see that being an issue.

I'm glad for you that you don't have any problems with using multiple products! That really is great.

In my experience, however, a dehydrator isn't a "cleanser." It removes moisture. Not contaminates. Not oils. Not residue. ScrubFresh is all of those. It's possible that you're removing all of those other things through some other method?

Using Shellac as a system is the only way you can guarantee the best results, it really is as simple as that!

I have never once had an issue with Shellac since I've invested in it and loved it so much that I even became a Shellac Ambassador.

It's not worth messing around with other products and if you are having problems with Shellac, then using NSI products with it will defiantly be the reason.

I'd get some Scrubfresh and D sperse as soon as possible and believe me, you will notice a HUGE difference.

Thanks ladies

I feel terrible for using these products beacuse cheaper etc when deep down I think I knew xx

Thanks for all being so lovely and not shouting YOU SILL GIRL USE CND xxx

Scrubfresh may be a bit more expensive, but a small amount goes a long way and if you buy the bigger bottle, you'll save yourself a few quid... it's well worth the money, it's a brilliant product.

Don't forget to come back and let us know how you get on and I'm glad you were honest, rather than just saying you were having problems and leaving the nsi bit out. :wink2:

I'm glad for you that you don't have any problems with using multiple products! That really is great.

In my experience, however, a dehydrator isn't a "cleanser." It removes moisture. Not contaminates. Not oils. Not residue. ScrubFresh is all of those. It's possible that you're removing all of those other things through some other method?
No, I don't use any other method other than what I've been taught and read many, many times on here. I didn't buy it to save pennies or anything it was simply because my CND bottle leaked whilst out in the car one day so I had to pop to the local wholesalers, I did panic that there was going to be problems but there never has been - I shall return to using Scrub Fresh when I next put an order in but it's been a while and no difference from when I was using it.

I do agree about using the system and I'm not one to cut corners - all I was saying is that I think there could be other reasons for the issues with the OP's Shellac'in as I've not had problems with countless clients, perhaps it's the Cleanse that's been used rather than D-Sperse?

I have ordered and put it on next day my ladies coming back thursday and has been lovely about it ! I think I knew deep down.....

Lets hope that soon as I replace my nsi back to cnd my clients will be happy ones xxx

could be that its time to get new bulbs for your CND light ?

Hey Guys,
Just wondering, i was told scrub fresh was used to remove the shiny layer on top as well.
What's this D-Sperse you mention?
Pretty sure All my instructions have mentioned to use scrub fresh.

Hi

D Sperse removes the tacky layer after your top coat has been applied and set for 2 mins x

I have heard scrub fresh can be used too but I am going with the D sperse as had a few problems and need to get back to using the correct items in the correct order otherwise there is no point me offering a shellac service x

You heard wrong!

ScrubFresh cannot and must not be used to remove the sticky layer ... Ever! Wher do people pick up such inaccurate information?

D.Sperse for those in the UK who can buy it and IPA for those in other countries who cannot .. 99% IPA

I am not sure what there is NOT to understand in th phrase, "use the whole system". How many times and how many ways does it have to be said?

Not all clients will be as understanding as this one seems to be, when their service breaks down. Messing about with the system will loose you clients.

Last edited:
I discovered that here in France as well as Morocco that techs were being told to use scrub fresh to remove the inhibition layer " as it gives a better shine" this is simply NOT true obviously as Scrub fresh having acetone in it will damage the surface of the shellac ( invisibly!)causing breakdown, Over here we do not have Disperse so it should only be the IPA, it seems to me that there has been language issue for this and the training in shellac doesn't exist so bad information travels! Hopefully this is going to change soon...

I think the problems is, is that you are not using the entire Shellac system.

I do want to clear up that NSI Nail Pure is a temporary dehydrator plus it does remove contaminates and oils and it also leaves behind bacterial fighting agents, so yes it it designed to be the same step as CND's Scrubfresh and NSI Cleanse is designed to remove the tacky layer after curing and to help remove dust and clean the nail after filing etc and this is the same step as CND's D-Sperse obviously.
But the difference between them is, CND made their products to go with Shellac and NSI made theirs to go with Polish Pro, not to be used with the Shellac system or viceversa.

I also want to say that the impression that seems to be given throughout this conversation is that because NSI is cheaper, it's inferior to Scrubfresh etc......that is not necessarily the case, it's simply that NSI was not made for Shellac and because it MIGHT be what's causing the problems, does not mean it's because NSI products are bad or cheaper.

I have used NSI for many many years now and find all their products to be of high quality even though they might be a bit cheaper than CND but I think we all have to remember to use our systems as a whole, not try and play scientist by mix and matching our systems.
We owe it to our clients to offer them a pro service with pro products and when they walk in to have a Shellac or Polish Pro service, they should be getting that entire service which in my view, includes all the correct brand products, unless the company states otherwise that you can use a generic or other companies product.

So simply saying, NSI Nail Pure and Cleanse are surely the problem here but not because they are bad products, it's because they are being used with the wrong system:)

Latest posts

Back