Shellac is dull; help me problem solve?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tina <3s Nails

Reaction score
I have been using Shellac for quite a while, and my customers and I love the product. Recently, though, I have had two instances where a couple of the fingernails are not as shiny as they should be. I love the product, but I need to figure out why this has happened. I strongly suspect that my topcoat has gone bad. Does that happen? I opened this bottle in mid-July, and I store it in darkness in the pocket of a bag/caddy that I use to carry products around the salon. I only use it when I use Shellac colors (if I use another brand of color, I use that brand's base/top).

LIGHTS - I don't think it's the lights because I used one hand in one lamp and the other hand in a second lamp. The dullness happened to two fingers of each hand. I don't think both lamps would be showing age at the same time since one has pretty new lights. It would have to be a weird coincidence for it to be the lamps. I also did a pedicure recently with a completely different light, and I think there was a little dullness there as well but didn't want to spend too much time inspecting and bringing it to the client's attention since she was really happy with the service and it was a color that didn't show the shine/dullness very well.

DISPERSION LAYER - I have always used isopropyl alcohol to remove the dispersion layer, and it has never been a problem. The alcohol I use has not changed.

TOPCOAT: When this happened the first time, I re-topcoated the four dull nails with the same topcoat. Doing this made two of them shiny, but two of them remained dull. When this happened the second time, I grabbed a different bottle of topcoat (still Shellac, but just a different bottle), and two of them became shiny but two were still dull. It's not always the same two nails, by the way, but it is weird that it's always two nails on each hand (I think that's a coincidence).

Can any of you think of another reason that I would be having this problem? If not, then I have to assume that my topcoat has become old and no longer cures properly, in which case I will toss it in the garbage and use a new one. Does this happen? Is it something I need to look out for? I didn't realize that the topcoats only lasted a certain amount of time (this would be about three to four months since opening, and stored in a fairly dark spot in the pocket of a bag/caddy).

Thanks for any information or experience that any of you have had about similar situations. I love Shellac and want to continue loving it.

Check that you haven't got any shellac on the bulbs of your lamp. I know it sounds strange but it could be that. Just thinking if it's the pointy finger on each hand they can easily get a mind of their own and twitch touching the bulb.
Also how many hours are left on it. If you are about half way it will be worth turning the bulbs round.
Vicki x

Dream Nails by Victoria

I've had the same problem, and I went to my old work where I worked with Pamela Rolf and she told me
I might be applying the top coat to thin or that my bulbs might be dirty but I've only had my lamp less then 3 months so maybe try and apply your top coat a bit thicker and see if that's help x

If they are not CND lamps then that is the problem ... If they are then turn all your bulbs around to the clean side. Shellac should be super shiny and if it isn't it is a curing issue. Either the wrong lamp, dirty bulbs or if the bulbs are more than 6-8 months old.

Just a thought, it may be completely off...
But I was told that after a gel top coat on acrylics you need to wait a min for the gel to cool down before applying cuticle oil. If it goes on too soon after coming out of the lamp then this can dull the top coat..
Would this be the same with shellac geeg?
xx

Just a thought, it may be completely off...
But I was told that after a gel top coat on acrylics you need to wait a min for the gel to cool down before applying cuticle oil. If it goes on too soon after coming out of the lamp then this can dull the top coat..
Would this be the same with shellac geeg?
xx
I don't think so. I never wait to apply Solar Oil. I know my Shellac is cured in the CND lamp. My Shellac is mega shiny. If cured, a top coat shouldn't be dull. If not fully cured it may well be.

Could you have touched the nails with oily hands before using IPA? If solar oil or oily hands touch that top film before you wipe it with IPA the nails will remain cloudy. HTH

I think we need to first establish if you are using CND lamps recommended for the Shellac service.

Sorry if I have missed anything but I really think the actual lamp being used needs to be confirmed first and trouble shoot from there.

I've had this happen on a little toe and the light didn't quite get to the toe as it was slightly curled! It went matte when I wiped with dsperse so I just did another layer or top coat and held them lamp over the toe :)

Latest posts

Back