Shellac lifting-help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krum

Reaction score
I can only use the products I have at my work so I was wondering do older, thickened bottles of shellac lift and chip more easily? Some at work are quite old and very thick.
Some of the newer, still thin bottles have lifted too though [emoji37].
I file and do cuticle work, scrub the nail, base coat applied thinly, cure, 2 coats of colour, cure and the new express 5 top coat then cure and wipe. I of course make sure I don't get it on the skin and I seal the edges.
I find shellac so thick as I'm used to other gels. I do apply thinly but sometimes find when applying thin it drags.
And tips and hints? Had quite a few customer come back with lifting/chipping soonish after and I need to sort the issue!
Thanks

It shouldn't be thick. If you've only got the dregs of bottles to work with then what's left will depend on how well the previous tech has shaken them before using.

But if your new bottles are also lifting and it's on everybody, it's probably application.

Is it lifting from the cuticle or free edge?

Oh I see so the fact they weren't shaken properly before means the mix is now wrong?
I always ensure I shake them but I don't think the person who did nails there before me did. I'm not 100% sure as I'm not always in when people come back. The other staff say lifting but the ones I've seen look more like bad chipping or the whole nail/ nearly whole nail just coming off.

Do you use a nail dehydrator before putting The foundation layer on? Xx

Are you making sure to really scrub the nail with scrub fresh? I scrub it until I hear it squeak!
I know CND don't recommend this but if I notice a client has considerably smooth or oily nails I will give them a very light buff with a soft buffing brush before scrubfreshing. Just a quick once over. I've found its really helped my retention on some clients who's nail were previously lifting.

I don't have scrubfresh I'm given an orly nail cleanser. I do really scrub the nail and sometimes use prep and clean dehydrator too. Other members of staff keep telling me to use gellux fast bond but I worry as its so against everything CND say!
I'm aware I don't have all the right products which is frustrating but I have to make it work with what i have. They give these products to all the nail techs across the company and they aren't having problems I've been told.

Give the buffing a try! Again I know its against what CND say but tbh with some clients you do need to.

Give the buffing a try! Again I know its against what CND say but tbh with some clients you do need to.

Thanks I'll try that. What kind of nails do you think benefit? If they are a new client I want to be able to tell just by looking at the nails! [emoji4]

I buff, cleanse, dehydrate nail plate and dry brush before putting foundation layer on and have never had a problem. In training we were also told never to shake the bottles (but that was with Gelish, not sure whether shellac would be different?)

I buff, cleanse, dehydrate nail plate and dry brush before putting foundation layer on and have never had a problem. In training we were also told never to shake the bottles (but that was with Gelish, not sure whether shellac would be different?)

Yes that's the steps with Gelish (I've used both) there's no probond or dry brushing with shellac.

Anymore advice?

If the shellac is very thick, then it is probably applying to thick, which is exactly what causes the polish to lift and then peel away, almost like in a whole sheet.... Is that what's happening?!

I would say that the problem is a combination of the fact you aren't being given the complete CND shellac system to work with, and the fact that the salon probably need to invest in some new polish :(
I'm sorry Hun, I can't really offer any advice on but if they won't invest in new polish maybe ask them to compromise and buy scrub fresh at least, or better yet nail fresh which is a stronger version of scrub fresh??!!

I also do not believe AT ALL that every other tech across the company is having ZERO shellac issues when they are not being given a complete system - That's a big fat fib :( xxx

Oh I'm sure it is. They just won't tell me about others probably [emoji20]. I find the polish drags if I apply it very thinly. I still try to though with the bottles I can. Is this normal? That it feels like it's dragging?
Is prep and clean not comparable to scrub fresh? It's a dehydrator. How does scrubfresh differ do you know?
Thanks for the help. I know what would solve it of course but I have to work with what I have [emoji21]
Also I've been given a generic LED and a generic UV lamp. I the CND lamps should be used but am I better off using UV or LED if it's generic?
Thanks so much!

Last edited:
The product shouldn't really drag. Maybe your base coat is too thick so when it's coming out of the lamp ready for colour it's too wet/sticky? X

Oh I'm sure it is. They just won't tell me about others probably [emoji20]. I find the polish drags if I apply it very thinly. I still try to though with the bottles I can. Is this normal? That it feels like it's dragging?
Is prep and clean not comparable to scrub fresh? It's a dehydrator. How does scrubfresh differ do you know?
Thanks for the help. I know what would solve it of course but I have to work with what I have [emoji21]
Also I've been given a generic LED and a generic UV lamp. I the CND lamps should be used but am I better off using UV or LED if it's generic?
Thanks so much!

In my experience, it may drag if you apply 'extremely' thin but it does tend to self level a little so this should self right itself. Dragging happens when it gets old and gloopy too.

I'm sure there isn't a great deal of difference, after all scrub fresh is a dehydrator, but like all systems, products are formulated to work in harmony, the formula of your dehydrator will differ to that of scrub fresh and any small change can alter the whole system. Like wise with the lamp.
It's such a shame that you are having to make do, sometimes I think companies don't realise how much better off they'd be long term if they just spent a little more on their initial outlay :( feel for you Hun xx

Thanks so much!

Assuming it's 36W you are safer off using the UV. It emits the entire range of UVA whereas led's are calibrated to a narrower range & vary much more in terms of power/performance.

Yes it is a 36W UV. It's a the edge lamp. I'll continue using that then.
I do think it might be the thickness causing the dragging. Where I worked before I used artistic colour gloss and shellac is so different in consistency. It's quite frustrating that it goes thick!
Other gels don't seem to do that.
I'm using the new express 5 topcoat now and am finding that goes very thick after only being open a couple of weeks! Then it drags. Argh!
Thanks for the help geeks! [emoji4]

Also do you think it's worth trying the gellux fast bond with it? X

Correct me if I'm wrong but as Shellac is a hybrid product I thought that meant that it also contained a solvent unlike say Gelish which is a gel polish. When products with solvent are continuously opened the solvent evaporates so the product can eventually become 'sticky, tacky or gloopy' this is usually what happens to regular nail polish!

Latest posts

Back