Shellac lifting-help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can only use the products I have at my work so I was wondering do older, thickened bottles of shellac lift and chip more easily? Some at work are quite old and very thick.
Some of the newer, still thin bottles have lifted too though [emoji37].
I file and do cuticle work, scrub the nail, base coat applied thinly, cure, 2 coats of colour, cure and the new express 5 top coat then cure and wipe. I of course make sure I don't get it on the skin and I seal the edges.
I find shellac so thick as I'm used to other gels. I do apply thinly but sometimes find when applying thin it drags.
And tips and hints? Had quite a few customer come back with lifting/chipping soonish after and I need to sort the issue!
Thanks

not sure what every body else thinks, but not a fan of the new express top coat, ive had a couple of regular clients come back wih a few chipped nails, ive gone back to the old cnd top coat and my clients nails are fine again. x

not sure what every body else thinks, but not a fan of the new express top coat, ive had a couple of regular clients come back wih a few chipped nails, ive gone back to the old cnd top coat and my clients nails are fine again. x
I didn't get on with the new express coat either, panicking that the original top coat will be discontinued
!!!!

And it has a yellow tinge over French or pale colours

Old topcoat has been discontinued so stock up ladies. Existing stock is all that's left. After that it's Xpress5 all the way!!!

That's shocking. What are CND playing at? I'm going to email them. If they can only offer xpress5, at least make sure it doesn't turn a beautiful French into a smokers French!!

Old topcoat has been discontinued so stock up ladies. Existing stock is all that's left. After that it's Xpress5 all the way!!!
Ono no no!!!! I'm going to have a nightmare

I hated the express 5 too [emoji24] it was awful - went gloop literally within weeks and I only work a few hours here and there doing nails!! I still have well over half left in the bottle, but I just cannot put it in people's nails, I've been using it for pops and swatches. Ongoing to bulk buy regular topcoat - cannot deal with that [emoji24] xx

Why do they keep discontinuing what we love .....there is nothing wrong with the original top coat and if they are going to improve they need to make sure it does exactly that....I have been a loyal customer to CND but now with news of this and the disaster stories that are going with it I am worried ....I cannot afford to lose clients because the topcoat isn't up to its job....I think I might need to look for an alternative brand very upset :( x

Mmmm, as a newly trained Shellac artist & someone who has stocked up on a range of colours, should I be concerned about a. The shellac going gloopy as I have no clients yet? & b. Issue with Xpress5 discolouring French manis?

I've had the Xpress5 topcoat on my own nails applied by my local salon & not had any probs with chipping, or it not lasting. But I've not seen it over a French manicure.

I'm sure someone will settle the issue & reassure us but I would like to know from SS - from the horses mouth as it were.

I've come to the conclusion that Xpress5 yellows if it's applied a little to thickly. I use the new LED lamp and under LED it needs to be thin or I can yellow as I think if it's too thick it doesn't cure properly and so picks up colour and stains

That's good to know jigily - as a newbie on my training we were provided with the older top coat as its easier for beginners so I'm gonna have to research the Xpress5's application

How thinly should the express 5 be applied? It's easy to apply thinly when you first open it but it goes gloopy in a matter of weeks! Then it's hard to applying thin.

How thinly should the express 5 be applied? It's easy to apply thinly when you first open it but it goes gloopy in a matter of weeks! Then it's hard to applying thin.

All this 'gloopy' talk is all new to me being recently trained and no real experience with Shellac. I wonder if its down to not shaking the bottle enough each time its used, so as you get further down the bottle you're having unmixed product that should have been with previous uses? I may be talking rubbish :( I don't know a thing yet but it's just a theory. I wonder if the moderators could enlighten us?

All this 'gloopy' talk is all new to me being recently trained and no real experience with Shellac. I wonder if its down to not shaking the bottle enough each time its used, so as you get further down the bottle you're having unmixed product that should have been with previous uses? I may be talking rubbish :( I don't know a thing yet but it's just a theory. I wonder if the moderators could enlighten us?

It could partially be related to shaking but mine went gloopy after maximum 6 uses, so I don't think it's solely that. It has to be a difference in the formula that is making the solvents evaporate quicker.

I'm so careful with mine, I keep it stored correctly, tightly shut and always shake vigorously. I think CND are going to have to seriously re think this top coat situation, it can't be down to misuse if so many people are experiencing issues xx

So I'm think I'll start buffing the nail and using the gellux bonder.
I think I might buy some nail fresh myself. Is this ok to use instead of scrubfresh? I'll cleanse with the orly cleanser then use nail fresh. What do you think?
I'm shaking super hard every time and I've thrown out the gloopiest ones. I apply thinly and cure under the generic uv for longer to be sure. I've been doing 1 min base coat, 2 min colour coats and 3 mins the xpress 5 topcoat.
What do you all think?

Nail fresh could be a good start - and yes it'll be fine to use instead as its basically just a stronger version of scrub fresh.
I think absolutely your doing the best you can with what you've got. So long as your taking all the precautions you can then your doing everything you possibly can. I'm sure you will find a way to make it work - and it's all knowledge and experience at the end of the day :) xx

Thank you for help! You are right it means I'm always learning [emoji4]
I use the Skintruth Creamy Cuticle Remover. I don't have access to water so make sure I wipe thoroughly after with acetone and then with nail cleanser. Do you think this suffices?

Thank you for help! You are right it means I'm always learning [emoji4]
I use the Skintruth Creamy Cuticle Remover. I don't have access to water so make sure I wipe thoroughly after with acetone and then with nail cleanser. Do you think this suffices?

I find having a small spray bottle filled with soap & water to spray on the hands to remove the debris and stop the action of the Cuticle Away really helpful, then ScrubFresh really well.

I find having a small spray bottle filled with soap & water to spray on the hands to remove the debris and stop the action of the Cuticle Away really helpful, then ScrubFresh really well.

How do you get rid of the soap? What kind of soap and how much? I don't use cuticle away I use a different remover. I know not all need deactivating in the same way.
And no scrubfresh [emoji17]

How do you get rid of the soap? What kind of soap and how much? I don't use cuticle away I use a different remover. I know not all need deactivating in the same way.
And no scrubfresh [emoji17]

We were taught in class to have a flannel under the clients hand spray then gently but firmly rub the nails and surrounding skin. You literally only need a small amount of soap, my tutor put some CND Scentsations Wash with water into my tiny bottle of spray. Works perfectly. Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back