Shellac not curing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amymc15

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just had a new client who I put 2 l & p enhancements on (thumbs) and then a full shellac. I have done lots of shellac before and LOVE LOVE LOVE it after changing from an inferior brand!!! My problem was that all went well until I removed the inhibition layer on my last and final nail (which was a thumb) and the polish came off...I assumed I must have been clumsy and had forgotten the top coat so apologised and redid the polish as it was 2 colours layered!! I double checked the topcoat was TOP and not BASE and it was correct and I cured for 120 mins for each layer and again it came off!!!! ..The UV light was on and still has 90 hours left (and is a proper CND lamp from S2) I eventually put a layer of Brisa top coat on and this worked but what did I do wrong? ... could it have been the L & P underneath wasn't set properly? one thumb was fine though!!
I realise its me and not the products but want to learn from the silly mistake!!
Thanks in advance geeks x

Hey lovely, did you use base coat on the acrylic? This could cause a problem as you just apply colour straight to acrylic with no base coat at all x

How had you finished the L&P on the thumbs hun? i.e. what grit buffer did you complete the nail with before applying the Shellax colour coat?
And did you Scrubfresh or DSperse the L&P after removing all dust and debris from the enhancement before applying the Shellac?

I don't use Shellac, I use Gelish and GelColor. However, I don't think the product would just come off when wiping due to incorrect prep as others have said. Incorrect prep will cause wear problems. Also the fact that the other thumb was fine indicates that it was not a prep problem. I do agree though that on enhancements, UV cured colour coats do not need a basecoat and do need a lightly buffed surface.

If the product wipes clean off, it sounds more like a lamp/cure problem. The thumbs are effectively placed on opposite sides of the lamp (IYKWIM) hence the one thumb was fine. Check the bulb on the side of your lamp where the naughty thumb is be placed! Just my thoughts.

Thank you so much for you replies, I will check the bulbs and make sure one isn't loose! I did scrub fresh and no I didn't use a base coat!!! So strange but I will get to the bottom of it lol! X

this may sound daft but did your client actually sit her whole hand in the lamp ? my teacher told us a story exactly similar to yours, turns out the lady kept her thumb on the outside of the lamp :eek::confused: lol

It will either be the client tucking her thumb out of the way or facing downward, or the bulb not firing correctly. Always check the position of the clients hand and/or remind them where and how to put it.

When one thing unusual like this happens it is a curing issue and those things need to be checked first.

I had this problem yesterday when one thumb hadn't cured. I noticed this when I came to put the first colour coat on and it was as simple as the bulb wasn't fixed into the lamp properly. 1 little push in, problem solved.😀

Thanks again for all your advice, I checked the bulbs and they all seemed

Sorry didn't finish that post!!!
Bulbs all seem fine so it must be the position of her thumb ( she did have her thumb in the lamp but her position must of been tucked under I think!) ... I feel better knowing what the problem may have been so thank you all :0) x

Latest posts

Back