Shellac or Gelish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruberio

Reaction score
hi there guys, i received a lovely gift voucher at Christmas for a reputable local salon that offers both Gelish and Shellac, i know this sounds incredibly dumb but i've never had my nails professionally done (yikes!), are gelish or shellac services done or natural nails or nails that have enhancements? is one better than the other for helping to strengthen natural nails? i like to have my nails fairly shortish (they split at the sides after a certain point) and i love dark colours xxx

Hi Ruberio,

Ok so Shellac and Gelish are both uv cured manicures done on natural nails (you can get them both over nail enhancements as well)

Gelish is a gel polish and Shellac is a power polish. I don't use Gelish in my business so I can only tell you about Shellac!

Personally speaking I feel Shellac is an amazing product and the best thing about it is that there is absolutely no damage to the natural nail, there is no filing of the nail plate either to Pre application or to remove and it removes quickly and easily. It goes on thin, so doesn't look like a thick overlay and has amazing shine that lasts perfectly. I wear it constantly and always have my nails fairly short. I get weeks out of mine but obviously your natural nail grows so regrowth will be visible after a couple of weeks at which stage you'll want to get it redone.
Some brands point out that their range lasts 3 or 4 weeks, I've had people last 6 weeks with Shellac and not one chip in site. You have to consider how fast your nails grow so with any long wear manicure once the regrowth is up it will be time to change, so your wear time will be the same irrespective of which one you go for.

Neither will add strength to your natural nail but will provide a layer of protection. I'd highly recommend CND Solar Oil and use twice daily to help deeply condition your nails and you'll find it dramatically improves nail health.

Shellac is in my opinion the best out there so that's what I'd recommend!

Let us know how you get on and enjoy your first manicure!

thank you lovie! i felt like a right idiot asking lol, am booked in for next thursday, i'm really looking forward to it, i fancy something dark and shiny and Shellac sounds as if it would be best for me xxx

Oooh well Dark Lava is one of my faves, it's a deep rich wine with a gorgeous wine shimmer through it..not glittery just a hint of shimmer as it hits the light. I love this colour and wear it a lot. Fedora is also beautiful rich colour, a chocolate browny wine.
Rock Royalty is another fab colour, a dark purple.

Best bet is to go onto CND.com and check out the colour charts, you should see something there that grabs your attention.

Also if the salon have the CND Additives Winter collection there's a glitter called Precious Pewter which looks stunning with Dark Lava, just as an accent nail say on your ring fingers. It's my favourite combination.

Last edited:
you are a star, dark lava sounds gorgeous, lol makes me reminisce about Chanel Rouge Noir! will definitely check out the CND site, i'm currently browsing through the what nails are you sporting thread for ideas, you guys are crazy talented xxx

Latest posts

Back