Shellac partially removed but looks like sugar?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daisy Digits

Reaction score
:confused: Removed a client's Shellac today, after removing the CND wrap, what was left on the nail plate looked almost like sugar! Would appreciate some advice.

I'm pretty new to shellac but did have same problem and found on a thread this advice.
Put the wrap back on for couple mins then get the desolve on cotton wool and in circular movements remove what's been left on nail!
Works every time :) xx

:) Aw, thanks Lila22. Tried to find a link, but wasn't sure what to look for - other than Shellac removal :smack: Just given myself a slap!

:) Aw, thanks Lila22. Tried to find a link, but wasn't sure what to look for - other than Shellac removal :smack: Just given myself a slap!

I'll try and look tomorrow as on phone but I was just having same problem and remember reading it, just try that though I have just removed my shellac and had to soak a pad and give nails a rub, just comes off no probs, xx

Hi- it sounds like it's the remnants of base coat. If added to thickly it is harder to remove and is left on the nail plate. Put the wrap back on for a couple of mins and it should of lifted off.

:confused: Removed a client's Shellac today, after removing the CND wrap, what was left on the nail plate looked almost like sugar! Would appreciate some advice.

Daisy digits!!! .... That's actually a fab way of describing it! Looks like sugar! .... What it is is a small bit of base coat left behind on the nail .... Reasons..

-Base coat applied to thickly
- Remover wraps not been left on for full 10 mins

After you've removed the remover wraps and CND Shellac and If the 'sugar' is still there take a nail wipe with plenty of acetone on and give the nail a real good scrub over and this should remove the 'sugar'

:lol: Thanks for the advice ladies. It happened again today. Exactly the same thing - sugar fingers! I did what you suggested, it worked perfectly. As I was tidying away my kit, I put my timer away last, as usual, then :idea: could it be my timer? I picked it up from the £1 store, well, dafter things have happened! Anway, I'll use my phone from now on and see what happens. I'll let you know ♡

:lol: Thanks for the advice ladies. It happened again today. Exactly the same thing - sugar fingers! I did what you suggested, it worked perfectly. As I was tidying away my kit, I put my timer away last, as usual, then :idea: could it be my timer? I picked it up from the £1 store, well, dafter things have happened! Anway, I'll use my phone from now on and see what happens. I'll let you know ♡

Daisy digits.. Talk me though your removal process, there could be a few things we can tweak to help even more.

What are you using to remove the CND Shellac.. Acetone? Foil and cotton wool? Remover wraps? Soak bowl?

If you could give me a little step by step of what you do that would be great :)

Hi AmeliaR, here goes,
I use CND wraps and CND d.solve,
Start with thumbs, work my way round all fingers, obvs!
S.I.T
Start my timer, for 10mins.
Use a rubbing, twisting action to remove wraps.
Use orange wood stick to aid removal of residue.
Use d.solve on lint-free wipe to remove any stray product.
Any advice AmeliaR, would be appreciated.

Do you start your ten minutes from when the first or last wrap is applied? Always time ten minutes from when the first wrap is applied. Get those wraps on nice and snug too. Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I was going to say that it sounds like the remnants of the base coat!! It will come off with a little more soaking! X

Hi AmeliaR, here goes,
I use CND wraps and CND d.solve,
Start with thumbs, work my way round all fingers, obvs!
S.I.T
Start my timer, for 10mins.
Use a rubbing, twisting action to remove wraps.
Use orange wood stick to aid removal of residue.
Use d.solve on lint-free wipe to remove any stray product.
Any advice AmeliaR, would be appreciated.

Fab.. So when you SIT how damp is the pad? You want it to be almost dripping with acetone! When you apply it do you slide the finger under the pad or put it over the nail?
Again you want the remover wraps to be nice and tight then once you've wrapped the finger up give it a little squeeze and this will help release the acetone and let it get to work :)

Hi ladies, sorry for late reply. I start timing from when the last wrap goes on..10 mins. Re wrap being almost dripping - I must confess, it's not that wet.

I have to say when my remover wraps are almost dripping they then don't like to stick and keep popping undone!
There is a very fine balance!x

I guess I'll just have to keep trying. Nice to know that I'm not the only one, lol :)

You don't want it to be actually dripping but you do need it to be quite moist! A drop of acetone isn't going to work as acetone evaporates very quickly so you need to make sure you've got enough on there!

The wrap is quite moist, but will try a little more. Trouble is, if I get them too wet, they fall off, lol!

Latest posts

Back