Shellac removal - something's changed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky_simon

Reaction score
Hi there

As the title says really! Iv been performing Shellac Removals for ages and it's always been a breeze.

All of a sudden it's become hard to remove. I'm making sure my base coat is applied thinly and I'm only using 1 top coat. Even after 10 mins I'm having to re-wrap my clients nails as it's not 'sliding off'. Iv used Shellac Nourishing Remover as well as D-Solve to see if it was the remover playing me up, but both had the same result.

One thing iv visually noticed is normally when I remove the foil/pad the top coat looks like it has either peeled up or completely gone. Where as now the edges are either slight lifted or nothing at all. In fact the top coat has gone squeaky almost!

Help! x

Mine haven't been as quick lately either if noticed! I've recently bought a new bottle of remover, have you got a new one? My coats are the same as always and never had any trouble before. Wondered if it was anything to do with my new nourishing remover? :/

Mine haven't been as quick lately either if noticed! I've recently bought a new bottle of remover, have you got a new one? My coats are the same as always and never had any trouble before. Wondered if it was anything to do with my new nourishing remover? :/

Thinking about it, I think my trouble has started since iv used my new remover, but that doesn't explain why my D-Sperse is doing it either! x

Having same issues with nourishing remover i dunno seems to be not strong enough or something im at a loss :(

If your base coat is thicker when you apply it, it can take a while longer. . . also if your clients are looking after their nails and making it go 3 weeks instead of 2, that will take longer also.....I'm sure you know this anyway but it was my first thought x

Maybe try adding some heat eg wheat pillow/hot water bottle it could be the clients hands or the room is really cold x

Maybe 'nourishing remover' contains less acetone, sometimes CND can be too clever for their own good. Gotta be the remover i can't imagine them changing the top coat formula without advertising 5 new obligatory training courses ;)

I haven't noticed as i have never used their remover

If your base coat is thicker when you apply it, it can take a while longer. . . also if your clients are looking after their nails and making it go 3 weeks instead of 2, that will take longer also.....I'm sure you know this anyway but it was my first thought x

I definitely haven't applied my base coat any thicker. How does wearing the Shellac longer and looking after it effect the removal time? (No I didn't know that). I have one lady who can make it 3 weeks and uses tonnes of SolarOil, but yet I wear it (and im not so good with SolarOil) and I have to change every 2 weeks and its hard to remover on me too. Never EVER had a problem with it before.

Hello! I absolutely agree, been having the same problem for the past few months! Thought it was my new bottle of nourishing remover, could it maybe have anything to do with the temperature being colder too? X

Hi, wearing it longer does affect the removal time eg apply it now and remove in 1 hour it will almost peel off, 3 weeks will be marginally harder to remove than 2 weeks! Still say its the remover, perhaps the nourishing remover contains more vitamins (which really don't do anything at all) and less acetone, i don't use the CND liquids so not my area of expertise, its certainly not got anything to do with the temperature of the nail, not unless your talking extreme cold or extreme heat

me too .. but only on a few colours strangely ... lobster roll and nude knickers i noticed again today

kx

Hi there

As the title says really! Iv been performing Shellac Removals for ages and it's always been a breeze.

All of a sudden it's become hard to remove. I'm making sure my base coat is applied thinly and I'm only using 1 top coat. Even after 10 mins I'm having to re-wrap my clients nails as it's not 'sliding off'. Iv used Shellac Nourishing Remover as well as D-Solve to see if it was the remover playing me up, but both had the same result.

One thing iv visually noticed is normally when I remove the foil/pad the top coat looks like it has either peeled up or completely gone. Where as now the edges are either slight lifted or nothing at all. In fact the top coat has gone squeaky almost!

Help! x

If a clients hands are cold it tends to take a little longer to remove - just put a towel over whilst they're wrapped up and make a drink usually they're ready to remove by then.

Ive noticed exactly the same thing, I thought it was me! I've not made any difference in my application or removal, its just takes a lot longer and I've had to use my cuticle remover to get it off as when I use the orange stick, it just glides over the top and doesnt remove anything underneath. It also leaves a residue when I just use the orange stick :(

I've noticed the same. I wasn't willing to scrape my clients' nails relentlessly to try to get their polish off but I was finding with the Nourishing Remover, their Shellac wasn't coming off. And that was with heated mitts! I was having to re-wrap way too much!!! I was even saturating with cotton and foil.

I love all the properties of the Nourishing Remover but it's just not getting the job done for me. I went back to pure acetone and 10 minute-timings and the Shellac is crumbling like it used to.

I'm not dissing Nourishing Remover. But for me, pure acetone is my choice for effective removal.

Last edited:
I've noticed the same. I'm wasn't willing to scrape my clients' nails relentlessly to try to get their polish off but I was finding with the Nourishing Remover, their Shellac wasn't coming off. And that was with heated mitts! I was having to re-wrap way too much!!! I was even saturating with cotton and foil.

I love all the properties of the Nourishing Remover but it's just not getting the job done for me. I went back to pure acetone and 10 minute-timings and the Shellac is crumbling like it used to.

I'm not dissing Nourishing Remover. But for me, pure acetone is my choice for effective removal.

Hi gr8nailz, when you say you have switched to acetone do you mean d-solve or are you using something else?

Yes me too... I've been noticing the Shellac Remove isn't removing as quick or the same, I use the Magis foils which I find great.
Shame because I don't want to go back to acetone it's too harsh! Love the principle of the Nourishing Remove, strange how a lot of us are having the same issue??

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Hi gr8nailz, when you say you have switched to acetone do you mean d-solve or are you using something else?

We don't have d-solve here in north america, we have acetone. You can use d-solve :)

Meira, in the US we don't have D-Solve. We've been using pure Acetone to remove all of our non-traditional polishes until CND's Nourishing Nail Remover came out.

I've simply switched back to pure Acetone and am incorporating Solar Oil in the soaking off process for additional hydration. Works wonders.

Maybe Cnd are sneakily changing the polishes ready for their LED lamp coming out, that way by this time next yr everyone should have new formula polishes and they can say its already LED curable and nothings changed x

I'm glad it's not just me. Am finding it a lot harder to remove lately. Think I'll get a small bottle of D-solve and see if that helps like Gr8nailz has done. Used to lift up like one of those fish you got in Christmas crackers but now it barely removes. Taking me longer which isn't good.

I've always found that some colours are easier to remove than others. Purple purple and Sugared Spice are a dream to come off xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back