Shellac removal - something's changed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been having issues with NR removals too and I'm waiting for my bottle to finish before I switch.

What I'd like to know is this...is there any difference between DSolve and regular Acetone? I thought they were the same thing? But DSolve is just S2's brand? Is it better quality than say Sally's or Ellisons own brand?

Damn I just bought a large nourishing remover the other day thinking it was better.

Dsolve and dsperse aren't actually made by CND either which I only found out yesterday. I don't think there's any difference,

If you do this Nicole, does it effect how quickly the Dsolve penetrates the shellac? Are you coating the whole nails or literally just the cuticle area?

One of my clients commented how she thought it aided removal when I did it this way with her (her removal is always a challenge!) and yes it would aid it because it stops the DSolve being evaporated at the normal rate.

I literally get my dropper and use one drop over each nail, it goes where it wants to go lol!

As soon as my big container of NR is used I'm also going back to DSolve. I'll just pop a drop of Solar Oil onto each nail before wrapping, it works like a dream at preventing the tell tale signs of temporary dehydration.

I do this but I use speed spray nit solar oil, but im thinking now solar oil makes more sense.

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

Does anyone put a drop of solar oil on the acetone pad before wrapping? Would this help with stubborn removal and also the white marks left on the nail?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I experimented last night; had a client who's had 2 applications of IBX and I deliberately used NR to remove Shellac, it hardly budged! So I swapped to pure acetone and it removed fine, I'd say slightly harder than normal (no IBX) nails but in an acceptable time.

The only issue I had was that the nails were dry after removal so I'd definitely use some solar oil next time. Part of the reason she has IBX is that her nails were dry after removal! so I feel I've sort of solved the problem but created a new and similar one by using IBX!

Karaxxx

I experimented last night; had a client who's had 2 applications of IBX and I deliberately used NR to remove Shellac, it hardly budged! So I swapped to pure acetone and it removed fine, I'd say slightly harder than normal (no IBX) nails but in an acceptable time.

The only issue I had was that the nails were dry after removal so I'd definitely use some solar oil next time. Part of the reason she has IBX is that her nails were dry after removal! so I feel I've sort of solved the problem but created a new and similar one by using IBX!

Karaxxx

Ive just ordered some bits & acetone from beautyexpress as its a vat free day. So when removing with acetone should I brush some solar oil around the cuticle & skin then wrap as normal? Really hope this make removal easier. I dread it at the mo....it takes about 30mins including the time wrapped. Far too long!!!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I bought DSolve to try removing Shellac instead of Nourishing Remover. I used the wraps but I shouldn't have as I can't get them on tight enough when I do it myself.

However the reason I post now is to say my nails were so white and dehydrated after it, I would have been totally embarrassed if they were clients nails. Honestly I should have taken a photo to show you all.

I reapplied Shellac, so they're out of sight now. Not happy about the way they are though.:rolleyes:

I bought DSolve to try removing Shellac instead of Nourishing Remover. I used the wraps but I shouldn't have as I can't get them on tight enough when I do it myself.

However the reason I post now is to say my nails were so white and dehydrated after it, I would have been totally embarrassed if they were clients nails. Honestly I should have taken a photo to show you all.

I reapplied Shellac, so they're out of sight now. Not happy about the way they are though.:rolleyes:

Add a drop of oil to the nails before wrapping, it works wonders for getting rid of the horrible white nails!

Had a really odd one today...
Luckily, was my sister and mother in law so didn't have to worry too much about time.

Soaked my MIL's off using NR, she just had a Shellac french. Left for 10 mins, unwrapped and it'd hardly budged. Re wrapped and left for a little longer, there was some flaking but not a lot. Got what I could off then had to re wrap.... Anyway, took about 30 mins in total for it to come fully off.

Then, SIL... She had had some chipping and had peeled a couple off (slapped wrist!!) luckily I had some acetone with me so decided to wrap with that instead... 45 mins it took... After 10 mins it'd barely even touched the shine! At first I thought I'd not wrapped right enough so I removed and re wrapped but didn't work! It was welded to her nail!

I don't think my base and top are too thick but I may be, and I'm using genuine Shellac.

Are these the sort of timings everyone is experiencing or is this just my application?

Well today I done a soak off with d solve and this one took 15 mins. I have been really struggling but this client had grape gum which is an old bottle as I havent has to replace that in six months. Perhaps the new bottles have slightly changed components or something? Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Mine are all fairly new bottles... Bought within the last 2 months.

My SIL had Wildfire layered with Negligee, I'm not sure if either of these are particularly difficult to remove but the MIL also had Negligee for her french.

It was just solid. Whenever I've removed Shellac in the past, it's just been crumbled when I remove the wrap and just brushes off pretty much.

Something has definately changed. I thought I had been sent a dodgy bottle of acetone so changed to NR then to Dsolve and now using the OPI remover but none are removing how they used to. I used to find 15 mins and the whole lot peeled off like magic. I did a removal the other day and after a good soak it had barely moved so I had to scrape and buff. It's so time consuming and the whole point of shellac is how easy and gentle removal is meant to be. Something is definately amiss!!! :-/

I've still not finished this darn bottle of Nourishing Remover. I can't bear the stuff, it's sticky and it stinks. I'm not paying more to have this 'pleasure'. :lol:

Latest posts

Back