Shellac removal - wraps or tin foil? What's your preference?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shellac removal - wraps or tin foil?

• CND removal wraps

Votes: 83 34.9%
  • Cotton wool and tin foil

Votes: 155 65.1%

• Total voters
Ooh i like the look of the maji wraps. Do sweet squared still sell them...i couldn't find them on their website?

Where do you usually get yours? xx

I too believe the wraps LOOK more professional, but I have noticed I have to use more acetone to even penetrate the shellac because the wraps are quite thick.
I personally prefer to use lint free pads ( I use the ones that are packaged for estheticians actually for all my lint free work, very inexpensive and work fantastic), I always cut these in half because I like them to be thinner, then I fold that in half to size the nail itself better and then wrap in foil.
I find this works better to just hit the nail instead of the whole finger, which I know the cnd wraps claim to do but in my opinion do not.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using SalonGeek

cotton pads and foil for me. yes its more professional to do cnd wraps but then either i would have to charge more or lose money.

I was looking into the CND wraps when I first started with Shellac, but they're sold xx$ Canadian out here, just for 10, so I have to pay almost xx$ with tax to have 1 removal. I think that's ridiculous.

So I've been using cotton and foil and it's been working fine, both on me and clients. They don't mind the foil. I have a TV with a movie playing so they get distracted by that a lot. Lol

I use the cotton and foil on myself as well, I do one hand at a time and it works great. My foil doesn't loosen, it stays well in place and I've never had problems with this method.

I don't understand where your shopping lol there's a licensed Cnd distributor right on dalhousie street(don't know where you are in Ottawa exactly) they sell the big pack of 100 removers (I think it's 100 can't remember the amount in the big pack) for $xx.

If you don't know the company pm me ill give you the info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a little tip for those that use cotton wool and foil.

Try using the rolls of foil used by hairdressers as they are perfect width and you can easily tear it, then get yourself a lint free 4ply nail wipe, cut it into 4 and then in a ceramic ramekin (plain white, just looks nice) decant an amount of acetone, dip your lint free wipe square into the acetone then pop it onto the prepped nail, it wraps around much nicer than cotton wool, then wrap your foil around your client's finger just like the ordinary wraps.

I use both methods and i still haven't yet decided which i actually like best, i keep changing my mind. But i would never go back to cotton wool.
x

Last edited by a moderator:
i actually buy the foil they use at hairdressers fpr highlights its thicker then domestic tin foil. hths x

I use these also. They are thicker than ordinary foil, as you say and work just as well, if not better. x

Its CND wraps for me also. Have had magis wraps used on me also, and they are just as good. The reason I don't use foil and cotton is I have no patience :)

Thanks Seraphine!

I don't know how i missed them, haha. I don't do nail extensions and didn't think to look in that section :o

You're a star.

I've never used maji wraps but think i'll be giving those a go.

We need a new poll now with majis wraps, i hadn't heard of them before xx

Anyone know what Grahams wraps are like and where to buy them x

Anyone know what Grahams wraps are like and where to buy them x

Sally's stocks them, they are basiclly tech tape with an absorbent pad stitched in.

My clients prefer the tin foil and lint free nail wipe together, had a lot of complaints with the grahams wraps as the acetone is 'freezing' the fingers off them. I find the shellac wraps too fidlly although very professional looking.

I always use tin foil with cotton wool works a treat and keeps my cost down a little x

I've just checked out the Minaj wraps & they look just like foil to me? Or am I being silly

I've just checked out the Minaj wraps & they look just like foil to me? Or am I being silly

If i've got this right, they are basically a piece of foil precut to the right size for either fingers or toes, with a cotton pad already attached, to spare you the fussy bit and make it all a little bit quicker xx

As I use foil and wonderwipe for my bio-gels, I keep it consistant with Shellac too. I find that I use way less product with wonderwipe. You only use the smallest amount...

I have to say that I find it easier to use the CND wraps on myself!! Most of the time I wear Bio-gel though so I use the foil method to avoid waste of product.

Also foil is more economical. Being a home salon and keeping costs to a minimum, this is important to me.

I don't understand where your shopping lol there's a licensed Cnd distributor right on dalhousie street(don't know where you are in Ottawa exactly) they sell the big pack of 100 removers (I think it's 100 can't remember the amount in the big pack) for $xx.

If you don't know the company pm me ill give you the info.

Hi there! I've been shopping at CosmoProf.

I've been to the licensed distributor on Dalhousie and they had NOTHING in stock, just a few basic powders and polished. They had maybe 2-3 colors of Shellac, not even Top Coats. When I asked the lady at the counter when they would get stock, she told me she had no idea, to just call next week. When I called the next week, they told me they still didn't know and to call again.

So I've crossed them off my list, I really don't feel like throwing myself in traffic downtown, pay parking and get not so good service like that. Lol Thanks though :)

I use the Magis too but use some flexi tape also. I've never had them come off. I do love the CND wraps tho, it's about cost for me x

Hi there! I've been shopping at CosmoProf.

I've been to the licensed distributor on Dalhousie and they had NOTHING in stock, just a few basic powders and polished. They had maybe 2-3 colors of Shellac, not even Top Coats. When I asked the lady at the counter when they would get stock, she told me she had no idea, to just call next week. When I called the next week, they told me they still didn't know and to call again.

So I've crossed them off my list, I really don't feel like throwing myself in traffic downtown, pay parking and get not so good service like that. Lol Thanks though :)

Oh poor you! i've never had that problem when going to Intercos. mind you i always deal with Linda, she's amazing!. If you order online which is what i do most of the time seeing as i'm in quebec :p they have everything and you get it within 2 days :)

Oh poor you! i've never had that problem when going to Intercos. mind you i always deal with Linda, she's amazing!. If you order online which is what i do most of the time seeing as i'm in quebec :p they have everything and you get it within 2 days :)

I didn't think to order online, I'll have to check their websites. Thanks :D Too bad you're not in Ottawa, I would have liked to have a "new nail friend" Lol

I use the CND wraps - mainly because they look fab and professional - and I can manage to pop them successfully on myself...BUT in my experience, cotton wool and tin foil work way better - its a much, much quicker removal when used with the D-sperse. However - you will always find myself and my therapists using the CND wraps in my salon!!:biggrin:

Latest posts

Back