Shellac removal - wraps or tin foil? What's your preference?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shellac removal - wraps or tin foil?

• CND removal wraps

Votes: 83 34.9%
  • Cotton wool and tin foil

Votes: 155 65.1%

• Total voters

FlawlessBeauty

Reaction score
Hey geeks,

Just curious to find out what everyone prefers...the CND Shellac removal wraps or cotton pads and tin foil?

I'd appreciate your input :hug:

For me - the remover wraps. Foil doesn't have the grip, and when I've been in salons who use the foil it all too often starts to loosen. And when you have it on ten fingers and the tech has wandered off you can't really do that much about it.

Personally I think it would be better for the Shellac Certification if they required the CND wraps too!

In the salon setting, definitely the CND remover wraps. They look professional and allow the client to more easily drink a beverage or look through a magazine.

My PERSONAL preference, however, cotton and foil.

Interesting response - out of interest, any reason for your personal preference for the cotton & foil? And totally agree with the CND wraps being more professional.

100% the CND Wraps they are fantastic.
Clients can sit and read a magazine drink coffee all without the fear of them falling off, they dont leak so work quickly and efficiently.

I use Foils on myself as I havent mastered the wraps on myself and hate that they can rip and it always takes longer as the Dsolve can evaporate or leak out.
I also love the way the Wraps look like little nappies :lol:

LOL @ nappies

I think the wraps look great and very professional. I've only used foil once on hands, as i ran out quicker than expected.

I always use foil on the toes though xx

Wraps on everyone except me :( I can't wrap myself that's the only reason why. It ends up spinning round my finger
Vicki xx

I use magis wraps & find them great :biggrin:

I was looking into the CND wraps when I first started with Shellac, but they're sold xx$ Canadian out here, just for 10, so I have to pay almost xx$ with tax to have 1 removal. I think that's ridiculous.

So I've been using cotton and foil and it's been working fine, both on me and clients. They don't mind the foil. I have a TV with a movie playing so they get distracted by that a lot. Lol

I use the cotton and foil on myself as well, I do one hand at a time and it works great. My foil doesn't loosen, it stays well in place and I've never had problems with this method.

Last edited by a moderator:
i actually buy the foil they use at hairdressers fpr highlights its thicker then domestic tin foil. hths x

Interesting response - out of interest, any reason for your personal preference for the cotton & foil? And totally agree with the CND wraps being more professional.

No matter how hard I try, I can't put the wraps on myself. :sad:

I always use foil on the toes though xx

Agreed. I always foil the toes. Once I watched Holly's (Fingernailfixer's) video on how to foil the toes to remove Shellac, it works beautifully.

i actually buy the foil they use at hairdressers fpr highlights its thicker then domestic tin foil. hths x

Me too!

Agreed. I always foil the toes. Once I watched Holly's (Fingernailfixer's) video on how to foil the toes to remove Shellac, it works beautifully.

I agree completely for toes. For fingers ... I always use the CND remover wraps .. they work the fastest and the best.

100% the CND Wraps they are fantastic.
Clients can sit and read a magazine drink coffee all without the fear of them falling off, they dont leak so work quickly and efficiently.

I use Foils on myself as I havent mastered the wraps on myself and hate that they can rip and it always takes longer as the Dsolve can evaporate or leak out.
I also love the way the Wraps look like little nappies :lol:

I found it hard at first but have persevered and can now wrap my own nails...if it twists around I just twist it back. I tend to do one hand at a time which has helped I think. I just spend my waiting time shaking the Shellac I am about to use, so it's not really wasted time :)

We use the maji wraps and my nail tech prefers them to the remover wraps.

i use cotton and foil as i think it is one thing that you can cut costs on without compromising quality.

I prefer Magis foil wraps. I did used to use the CND remover wraps which were great, but I get a better result when using Magis. Plus - you get more wraps for your money.

I actually don't like the cnd wraps I find them a bit too fidgety. I am not going to get anymore once my supplies are gone.

I prefer the Grahams wraps they are more like a bandage almost but easy to put on and work just as well and the clients say they feel tighter than the CND wrap, presumably because they are stretchy so you can get them nice and tight.

Also in answer to the question, to be an acredited salon you don't actually have to only use the CND wraps.

I think cotton and foil looks a bit DIY:Scared: but horses for courses and all that.

I now use the Grahams nail wraps, a bit like band aids but obviously not sticky and they wrap really tight too. For as much as I love CND I just don't like their fiddly wraps.

For my own business, I don't like the foil and cotton approach it doesn't go with the image of my spa, I know that sounds snooty but I market the nail side of the spa against the NSS so need to have that perceived the best of everything is used. This is just my choice and not a criticism of anyone who uses foil.

Last edited:
Another vote here for the Magi wraps - I just buy the thin ones (there's thicker ones in boxes of 250, but I like the ones that come in 500's - the pad holds enough acetone for a 10 minute soak).

I just used a pack of CND remover wraps the other day and found them fiddly in comparison (I love the nappy analogy). I also find traditional foil and cotton pads fiddly. The Magi Wraps are really easy.

Latest posts

Back