Shellac removed with an electric nail file!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Passionate

Reaction score
A new client came to me for a manicure recently and she spotted my Shellac stand. She said to me 'That stuff ruined my nails!' I replied if its removed correctly it shouldn't. I quizzed her on how she had it removed by the last Nail Tech she had been to and she said with an electric file! I was completely shocked somebody would be so unprofessional! She decided to give it another try after I explained that is not how it is meant to be removed at all but it made me wonder how much other business are other good Nail Techs who do things properly missing out on because of unprofessional people like this!?

It's jut a matter of re-educating clients that have had a bad experience.
A few people have come into our salon saying the same thing. I ask what the other tech did who spoiled their experience then explain the correct cnd shellac application, removal and aftercare. That's usually all it takes to make them try it again.
:) xx

The amount of clients i've had complain to me about damage to their nails off electric nail files...

One of my local salons has just starting offering 15min gel polish because they now have a 30 second lamp!

Many people remove gel colour with a drill and many people do not understand that Shellac is not a gel. Of course you shouldn't remove gel colour with a drill either but there are some lazy technicians around who just don't give a rats behind one way or the other.

There are also many clients who put up with bad techniques and don't know any better. There is allot of ignorance.

There are bad practitioners in all businesses and I suppose it does have its affect somewhere down the line which you came across when you saw this client. I don't think it significantly affects our business in the long run, but as long as so many can get into the nail business with such a low standard of entry, there are going to be ignorant nail techs performing badly.

The other thing is that the client may have thought it was shellac they had on but it was actually a gel or imitation brand which requires filing to remove and then the client thinks all these UV products are the same.

Thanks everyone for your replies! Jazz Hand I decided to have a nose on the Nail tech's page and it's Perfect Match Gel Polish but advertising it as Shellac. I totally agree Geeg it's not too much work to break the seal of a gel polish with a normal file and soak it off!

Coloured hard gels need filing off whether by hand or e-file. Everyone forgets about those gels and automatically think the tech is a butcher!

I wish there was more regulation of the nail and beauty industry but I doubt it will happen. I had an interesting conversation with my facial company's head trainer just before Christmas and she had been to a seminar about how professional products will be a thing of the past as we know it. I was disheartened at the thought as yet another mobile tech had done a day course and was offering Red Carpet Manicure as a professional treatment.

I have done a spa manicure party today, and whilst it was all lacquer finishes...the ladies were commenting on my gelish...explained what it was and how it worked...

One lady mentioned she had had shellac befor, but when taken off it had ruint her nails they were all pitted etc...now I don't use shellac ..but still re educated my ladies on how the process works, howmitmis different to gelish...and that it really doesn't warrant and compete etch of the nail before application..

Hopefully I have pushed these ladies into perhaps trying it out again as she did like the look and feel of it ...I told her to check on the approved salon locater for a genuine professional application ...

We just need to keep re educating our ladies. ...alot of these fly by night, diyers...just want to make as much money as possible using cheap copy products and don't give a damn about damage to nails and how it can affect the client in the long run...

I personally care about what I do for a client and enjoy that...

Sarah x

We just need to keep re educating our ladies. ...alot of these fly by night, diyers...just want to make as much money as possible using cheap copy products and don't give a damn about damage to nails and how it can affect the client in the long run...

Totally agree with you! Such a shame that one person's poor application can scare people off good quality Shellac/Gelish/Any other brand application for good.

The amount of clients i've had complain to me about damage to their nails off electric nail files...

as with most things its down to education :(
its sad that so many tecs use E-files with out knowing how, and make so much damage , :(
I LOVE my E-file , it didnt take me long to learn how and when to use it i learnd as a
1 2 1 with a very capable teacher , with a fabulous Kupa E-file, through sweetsquared, it still took me a few months of practicing on "things" and my self before i got good at using it and started to use it on real clients :) so far i have never hurt , burned or drawn blood from anyone .

I dont think there is enough places offering GOOD training and equipment with e-files ,because of the continued bad press they are almost the
sky-blue-pink sheep of the nail world ,

sadly i herd S2 wear no longer doing it either . might be wrong there im a bit out of touch since i moved ,

Passionate,
I had to re educate a client today. Said all of what your client said, as well as using the drill to 'buff' the nail plate at the beginning of the 'treatment' so the 'Shellac' would adhere to the nail plate and last. I said whatever you thought you had, it wasn't Shellac at all. So I gave her a Shellac treatment today, and she's really chuffed and already sent 4 clients my way. So for most of us, this is how we pick up loyal clients, and then they really get to know what it is to have their nails done. X

Coloured hard gels need filing off whether by hand or e-file. Everyone forgets about those gels and automatically think the tech is a butcher!

I agree:) but the problem here is, it's being advertised as Shellac which is not a hard gel but it was removed like a hard gel.

Any decent tech knows the difference but also, any decent tech knows, if they use an E-file that you never go as far as to hit the natural nail no matter what.

If this tech was using a hard gel and advertising it as such, then yes, she can use an E-file to remove instead of hand filing and her mistake is, she's going to far with her E-file and damaging healthy nail but sadly, she's not being honest and she's putting the Shellac name to her service instead and this poor client got sucked in.

To be honest, I would love to go round the world and slap every tech like this really hard but I can't, so I just educate my clients instead and anybody else I can talk to about nails:)

as with most things its down to education :(
its sad that so many tecs use E-files with out knowing how, and make so much damage , :(
I LOVE my E-file , it didnt take me long to learn how and when to use it i learnd as a
1 2 1 with a very capable teacher , with a fabulous Kupa E-file, through sweetsquared, it still took me a few months of practicing on "things" and my self before i got good at using it and started to use it on real clients :) so far i have never hurt , burned or drawn blood from anyone .

I dont think there is enough places offering GOOD training and equipment with e-files ,because of the continued bad press they are almost the
sky-blue-pink sheep of the nail world ,

sadly i herd S2 wear no longer doing it either . might be wrong there im a bit out of touch since i moved ,

Its mainly damage to their skin around their nails & their actual nail plate off where they've been gettin an extension blended in & the nail tech has gone too far x

Latest posts

Back