Shellac repair on peeling

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newatnails

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've been doing Shellac on this client for a while now, think this may be her 6th re shellac. She has a French manicure everytime, the last time I did her she came to me with 2/3 fingers that had started to chip/peel on the whites - she openly admitted she hadn't been looking after them like she usually does had been working in the kitchen at work not wearing gloves etc..., so I repaired them for her and she paid me £3.00 for the repairs.
So did her a reshellac again nearly 2 weeks ago now, and did them slightly different, I put some of the white onto a tile, and used a nail art brush to do the smile lines which was abit easier as didn't get 1/2 as much white on the end, they did look abit thin but ok once top coat had gone on etc...,
Now she is saying she has a couple of fingers that need repairing again and this time she has really looked after them (she raves about Solar Oil and said she is using it daily) although she is on the same mini bottle I gave her at her 1st appt (so can't she how she can be still using twice daily really) - I am now wondering wether because I applied the white differently this time that it was TOO THIN ??
Any advice on this would be much appreciated - and how much do you all charge if/when doing repairs do you charge per nail ? x

If applied correctly a solar oil mini lasts about 2 weeks, so I would say that she isn't following the aftercare. It is important to stress aftercare and insist that they can't use too much solar oil lol!
I don't like french it's a personal pet hate of mine and very rarely do one in shellac (although I occasionally stamp a french in with Konad) I find when I do french in shellac unless I apply it in a very very thin coat it chips so I don't think you can have applied it too thin.
How long has it been since application? Shellac is only 'up to' 14 days and if she's getting more than a week with poor aftercare she's doing well.
Some people keep it on longer than others too, just the same as regular polish I have some ladies who get 5 weeks out of it others just over 10 days, I tend to find that the 10 day ladies are the ones who can't keep normal polish on for more than a couple of days too!
Make sure you are sealing the free edge, and remember thin to win!

I really struggle to charge for repairs so I must say you are doing better than me to start with.
I feel you need to tell her this is very rare and charge her again.
If you keep charging her fir repairs you will find they last longer ;)
Or maybe try brisa x

Shellac just doesn't peel or chip on its own, your client must be doing something which is causing her nails to do this, does she wear gloves when using detergents, does she pick at them? I always charge for repairs per nail, I'd try double top coating or power her shellac with Brisa lite smoothing gel xx

Thanks ladies, to be honest she was the only french shellac I did till a couple of weeks ago and she's always managed to keep it on for 3 weeks without chipping, she is usually very good at looking after her hands/nails..., however as I said last time she admitted she hadn't been wearing gloves and solar oiling every day nearer to her reshellac as knew she was due to get them done again, she's had it on a about 10 days now, but not sure when they actually started peeling.

I always seal the free edge, and apply the white as thin as I can, infact this time was def the thinnest I've applied it doing it this way - she definately doesn't need brisa smoothing gel under it, she has good nails although I have noticed them getting thinner at the ends when i've been reshellacing, I did wonder wether this was the acetone or the nourishing remover being used every 3 weeks that was having an adverse effect on here nails ? x

To be honest she is getting a good spell of wear before they chip. I wouldn't be repairing any nails at all at this stage as she would be due a re-shellac anyway. I'd only offer repairs if it were in the first 5 days as after that it is definitely something they are doing/not doing that causes the chipping and some people just can't get more than 8-10 days out of their manicure anyway due to the condition of their nails or their lifestyle.

For future appointments you can try using 2 topcoats. This works great for my clients who like French but are prone to chipping due to their lifestyle or lack of aftercare.

I'd also comment at her next appointment saying something like "you must be out of oil now as they only last 2-4 weeks, would you like to purchase more today?" to let her subtly know that YOU know she's not using her oil as directed or she'd have none left :wink2:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

i had a few problems with the french style - when I had my own ones done the white chipped and when I asked the person who did it she said the french style doesnt last as long as the white tends to be thicker than the solid colour one as it goes on in different layers.

i was having a similar problem when doing it myself as the white always seems to be a bit thicker even if I try to make it thin.

So is it true that french style doesn't last as long as the solid colours? x

Thanks for your replies ladies, however she has got 3 weeks wear out of a French Manicure on at least 3 occasions previously because she does generally look after her nails, she has just popped round and at least 3 nails are chipped at the ends/corners but I do make a concious effort to seal the free edge/corners always and she said she has been using her gloves all the time this time and she would have left them till her next appt but she's going out this Saturday - she's fine with it and i've mentioned the solar oil again and how amazed I am that she is still using her 1st bottle as i've gone through about 4 of them in the same time and I don't use it every day

I usually do soak off and reapply - but on this occassion to just repair them for another week, coud I just go over the whites thinly and recoat with top coat ?

Any advice welcome - thanks again x

Just out of curiosity, what did she say when you brought up the solar oil usage issue?

I use Gelish and never have any problems with French chipping. It lasts a good 3 weeks or longer, as long as they're using their oil!

She just said she is using it at least once a day and since she had her reshellac last week she's been using it twice! x

Latest posts

Back