Shellac Rockstar, how to deal with this one?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsP

Reaction score
Customer had Shellac rockstar nails done by my assistant on the 5th Nov - 10 days ago!

She called today and said that from last Thursday they started chipping and today one peeled right off whole (she kept the peel to show me ;))

She is housewife. She is very angry that these have not lasted and can't possibly go round with 1 nail missing so wants removal and thinks Shellac rubbish.

I said I need to see the nails - but I get the impression she wants a free removal tommorow!:rolleyes:

Advice pls Geeks!!!!:eek:

Customer had Shellac rockstar nails done by my assistant on the 5th Nov - 10 days ago!

She called today and said that from last Thursday they started chipping and today one peeled right off whole (she kept the peel to show me ;))

She is housewife. She is very angry that these have not lasted and can't possibly go round with 1 nail missing so wants removal and thinks Shellac rubbish.

I said I need to see the nails - but I get the impression she wants a free removal tommorow!:rolleyes:

Advice pls Geeks!!!!:eek:

I personally think that a week of rockstar on fingers is quite good wear for a housewife! Especially if she is not following the aftercare. I would ask if she's been wearing gloves when cleaning, using SolarOil every day etc, as if she isn't then your assistant is not at fault.

It is a bit odd that just one nail has "peeled off", I doubt it's just happened without any encouragement.

Have a look at them tomorrow, as you have offered to do, and you should be able to tell what has happened and ask her the sort of things I mentioned above. Hopefully she won't be awkward or rude about it! x

Yes I asked if she wears gloves and got a defensive 'I use a dishwasher'. I said household chemicals will damage as per the aftercare instruction card I give out.
I asked if that nail was peeling and she said no.

Very defensive, very disappointed and I hate these situations :evil: because I have to take extra time now to sort this out...my other customers are all very happy and if they have a heavy week they dont blame me or the product - they just come back do it again and happy days.

Yes I asked if she wears gloves and got a defensive 'I use a dishwasher'. I said household chemicals will damage as per the aftercare instruction card I give out.
I asked if that nail was peeling and she said no.

Very defensive, very disappointed and I hate these situations :evil: because I have to take extra time now to sort this out...my other customers are all very happy and if they have a heavy week they dont blame me or the product - they just come back do it again and happy days.

The fact that she's being so defensive makes me inclined to think she has been doing something at home that has damaged them. It's not really fair to ask you to remove it for free when she's had it on for 10 days. I hope she's not expecting you to re do them?!

no she wants a removal - but if I do it I'm admitting a prob and I'm not happy doing that!!:rolleyes:

no she wants a removal - but if I do it I'm admitting a prob and I'm not happy doing that!!:rolleyes:

It is a difficult situation. I would just explain to her that damage can happen if the aftercare advice is not followed, so removal will be charged at XX pounds.

Has she had it done before? If so you could always offer to re do them (at full price!) but remove the current ones for free.

I should add she was a 50% off customer|!!! A groupon type offer for my assistant only...

If you include the removal price in your original price she's really not getting anything for free. Considering your assistant performed the service, have them be the one to remove after you've had a chance to take a look.

Anyone who wants a removal without a re-shellac doesn't need an appointment with me. Takes two minutes to wrap them up and two minutes to remove the wraps. Have them wash off the acetone residue and drop some solar oil on their cuticles for them to rub in and they're good to go. I even offer some nice lotion in the bathroom if they would like to use it. Removal doesn't have to include anything but that. If she wants them filed or manicured, she should have to book an appointment and pay.

I dont have removals often. Mainly on clients who get Shellac only on special occasions instead of regularly.

If she gets defensive on how long her shellac lasted tell her that it lasts UP TO two weeks and that 10 days is really good for someone who uses chemicals often. No service is guaranteed on anyone. Hair color lasts on some people 4 weeks... Some people 6.

Point out evidence of forced removal after you have examined her. Explain how if it just "peeled off" there would be absolutely zero damage to the nail. Also let her know your track record with other clients and offer a copy of the aftercare.

And do it all with a smile. :)

I should add she was a 50% off customer|!!! A groupon type offer for my assistant only...

Now why does this not surprise me?:eek:

Always been against groupon deals - but for a new staff member it would work well - although a couple of bad experiences over the last 3 days :rolleyes: - yet none over 14 months of exclusively shellacing!!!!

Andrea - no she's a first timer. Our rockstar shellacs usually last 3 weeks!

(Unique tips - Assistant not in tommorow - or she would be removing at charge. removal is charged if not with re-shellac..)

I think I will text her and say after 10 days there will be a charge for removal. That way she will likely not come...

I've only had Shellac applied once when I was on holiday and two nails peeled within 48 hours. The second one was when I got out of bed and a whole nail was there on the duvet. I was on holiday and so not doing any household chores. There was no chipping though.

I didn't go back to the Spa as I was moving to another venue but just accepted it as one of those things. I use Gelish now and have not had a problem since.

My point is that I think on some people, they can just peel and so it isn't always the wearers fault.

Obviously, you will need to see her nails before deciding how to proceed.

Best of luck.

I've only had Shellac applied once when I was on holiday and two nails peeled within 48 hours. The second one was when I got out of bed and a whole nail was there on the duvet. I was on holiday and so not doing any household chores. There was no chipping though.

I didn't go back to the Spa as I was moving to another venue but just accepted it as one of those things. I use Gelish now and have not had a problem since.

My point is that I think on some people, they can just peel and so it isn't always the wearers fault.

Obviously, you will need to see her nails before deciding how to proceed.

Best of luck.

Whilst I get that not every person gets on with every product i would quite disagree here, if its applied correctly they dont just peel off by themselves.

I've been shellacking since the day it launched and have never experienced this.

With regards to the client, I think at 10 days she's out for a freeby.
If she had a problem on the thursday she should surely not have left it until now?
But, if I were in a salon (I'm mobile) I probably would just wrap her up to shut her up :lol: No frills removal.
It does only take a minute to wrap her and would be a more positive outcome then leaving bad feeling.

Always been against groupon deals - but for a new staff member it would work well - although a couple of bad experiences over the last 3 days :rolleyes: - yet none over 14 months of exclusively shellacing!!!!

Andrea - no she's a first timer. Our rockstar shellacs usually last 3 weeks!

(Unique tips - Assistant not in tommorow - or she would be removing at charge. removal is charged if not with re-shellac..)

I think I will text her and say after 10 days there will be a charge for removal. That way she will likely not come...

If that's your policy, stick to UR guns. I did a Groupon. Half were horrible, the other have been great! But this one sounds like she just wants a free removal with her discounted service.

hey hun

do you tell your clients it last fourteen days or do you say up to fourteen days? Just a thought as i always say up to fourteen days whilst following the aftercare.

Aside from that i did a little experiment on my nails the other day. After reading things on here where clients have said their shellac peeled off i wanted to know what lengths they were going to to peel it off as my shellac does not budge. I noticed on one of my fingers on my right hand I'd wobbled when getting that nice clean sweep at the bottom. So i set to work on trying to pick it (I'd never normally do this obviously but i was curious). Anyway i did get a tiny bit off but i really had to pick it. That was about a week ago and the rest of my shellac hasn't moved. Also my mum the other week when i did her nails her nails prior to shellac were in dreadful condition. Peeling, broken the lot. Anyway i shellaced her clearly pink went back a week later, and still perfect. She's really heavy on her hands and works with money, lots of coins and counting in the cash office.

as long as your tech's application is tip top then i can't see it coming off without her help. Personally I'd charge her for removal, she's had ten days and to be honest if they started chipping earlier she should have contacted you then.

Good luck hun x

Latest posts

Back