Shellac shrinking possibly?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetyStacey

Reaction score
I just applied shellac to myself, and someone else did a couple of nails yesterday. But tonight i've just noticed that it has shrunk from the eponychium a little less than a mm on most nails...is this normal growth, or have I done something wrong?

I only started using shellac yesterday..used it on 3 people yesterday including myself. One of my models being my mum and she has noticed this "shrinking" too.

Thanks.

How close did you get to the eponychium when you first applied Shellac? Do you have pics you can post?

Close enough I think, yeah I have a pic..embarassing pic with my uber short nails x.x The first two are after i applied them yesterday and the third is now.

Attachments

• IMAG0081.jpg
    IMAG0081.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 702
  • IMAG0080.jpg
    IMAG0080.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 765
  • IMAG0083.jpg
    IMAG0083.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 605
Have you done a class? My guess is no. Your application needs much improvement. There is a clear ridge of product at the eponychium which is way too thick which would account for the shrinkage and your colour looks very patchy and uneven which suggests you are dragging your brush instead of using a light touch.

I would advise you get booked on a class to learn painting technique and you will be much happier with the result.

I honestly don't think it looks any different.
What I can notice is that on the first day, you were smothered in cuticle oil and of course now it's all soaked in and washed off and it makes the gap more noticeable when there is no oil.

I agree with Geeg, you need to tweak your application process, so if you have not yet been a Shellac Attack course, it would benefit you and your clients to do so but if you have done the course, keep trying but remember, only practice good techniques, not bad ones:)

Don't stress about your nails being short, this is one of the things that Shellac and many of the SOGP are known for, is helping people to grow out their natural nails.

It's really important you shake your Shellac (like you mean it!) to combine all the components well before you use it - this is covered with other troubleshooting areas in Shellac Brings 'Em Back training. Did you give it a good shake?

And yes, your application could cause a little shrinking too, but I think these are not all bad for a first go - a bit of direction and practise and you will be flying! If you haven't already done the course, get booked on: it's great value and I think you'd really benefit. :)

Right ok, thanks for the replies guys.

@geeg, I'm on the CND complete course, the shellac day was on thursday..we were shown what to do a couple of times then sent off for to practice on other people for the rest of the day. So yes, that was my class..no more time will be spent on shellac now..yes of course I can ask my tutor stuff. I'm not too sure what you mean about patchy..looks all the same to me..maybe its the pic. I do agree that my application is on the thick side though.

@wooshka, my nails are normally naturally long, some just snapped and I cut them down..then people have been filing my nails for the past 2 weeks so there's hardly anything left!

@up to scratch, yes i shook the shellac quite vigarously for 30 seconds. thanks for saying they aren't all bad.

Great to see that you're taking everything on board hun - like I said, a bit of direction (shaking it well, keeping it thin, being mindful of no build-up of product at free edge or cuticle end) and careful practise and you'll get the results you want out of your Shellac applications. xx

Have you done a class? My guess is no. Your application needs much improvement. There is a clear ridge of product at the eponychium which is way too thick which would account for the shrinkage and your colour looks very patchy and uneven which suggests you are dragging your brush instead of using a light touch.

I would advise you get booked on a class to learn painting technique and you will be much happier with the result.

Should that make me think twice about booking a CND complete course, as Stacey has covered Shellac on the course and you guessed that she hadn't even been on a Shellac course??

Should that make me think twice about booking a CND complete course, as Stacey has covered Shellac on the course and you guessed that she hadn't even been on a Shellac course??

The shellac class that is offered outside of the CND complete course is the same, one day and you're set off to practice..so no, I don't think this should put you off...i'm just clearly not a natural like some people must be after 1 day of using shellac ;)

Thanks, up to scratch..i'm all for taking advice..and yeah, im setting up plenty of practice models so hopefully will get there eventually.

Latest posts

Back