Shellac staying on for 2 months. Boss does not like...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holly Byers

Karma and love
Reaction score
Like it says in the title. I am very carful how I do my work and to much of a perfectionist. Ok can take me about an hour and half... Manicure takes 30mins depending on cuticles. then hour is for shellac less if not French.

But my work stays on for well over a month! People tell my boss how happy they are and yes it's await but worth it! and only get it done cos it lasts this long! They have come back just for the nails. (hair salon)
I do there nails while there getting there hair coloured so they have over 2 hours more to wait.

But he's not happy with how long it takes and how long it stays? I'm getting faster.
I do not have a work table as not got one set up for nails.. I go around the room sit next to the person who wants it and work with what space I have...
He wants me there every day as he wants to have manicures open to over when ever his clients want... Well not paying me an hourly wage I agreed to help out for the first few months to let people know I'm there and get set up. But did say have to go down to a few days as this is all I have to offer as got clients i need to go to there home!

Well time is over. He keeps booking one client every day... I can not do that as about 3/4 hour drive away costs me to drive over then the work... Expects me to sit there all day with no work. I did that and explained only reason why I did was to show people I am working there.
I advertised on his Facebook page.

We agreed 70/30 till there is more clients so I have enough to cover my costs (maybe profit) which wasn't.
Then change to 60/40. But clients have not increased (recession in spain)

I agreed to go 60/40 on card as he said it costs him a lot blar blar..
Now he wants to go 50/50 and it's still not improved in clients or money for me... Says the amount he's getting shows no interests to him... But he isn't paying me hourly I am getting the money in he wouldn't of had? Very strange.

I have done a price list of express shellac which is less time wont stay on for two months but will for two weeks.
And the deluxe one which will be on for over a month etc.

I did ask him to advertise I am there.. But nothing..

Do you think he's being greedy asking 50/50 when there isn't much money coming in?
Now he wants to go 50/50

I go in Wednesday Thursday Friday and Saturday
Told him no more on wed as there is only one client now and then...
I am working 6 days and not even fitting in all my other clients.. Could loss them..

Is it me or is he being unfair.

Thanks for reading sorry if some of it wont make sense I'm really ill

Xxxxxxxxxxx

Sorry to hear. One question I wanted to ask is, are you buying your own supplies, products, and stock? If so, I think 60/40 should be fair for someone who buys their own stuff. 50/50 (from my experience) is for techs who is working on commissions and is provided the products, but is not being paid hourly. I also think , since it sounds like you're pretty much working for yourself, you should start advertising for yourself and pull in your own clients. Print out cards with your services and prices on the back and pass them out or ask nearby cafes and corner stores if you can leave a stack there. Make a facebook page displaying your work. Have a way for clients to contact you via mobile number, facebook page, or email to let YOU know when they'd like to come in or when they'd like you to go over to theirs via mobile service since you don't even have a table set up for you. It just sounds like he hasn't really considered the demand for nail service in his salon so he's very ill-prepared, impatient, and a bit ignorant. If he's not going to put in the advertisement work for you, you'll have to just do it yourself. After all, this is your time and effort and it's up to you to get people coming in for you. Good luck, girlie! x

I wanted to ask whats the difference between the express and deluxe shellac? :)

Lolly22 I wanted to ask whats the difference between the express and deluxe shellac?

me too. curious also as to shellac staying on for 2 months, surely that doesn't look good by that stage . would you not encourage your clients to have it done more regular than that ?

A lot of my clients can get 3-4 weeks without a chip but 8 weeks seems really long. Is it cnd shellac? What are you doing that makes it last so long on everyone? Do you encourage your clients to come back more regular so you make more money?

Really don't understand why I did ther notified with all these lovely replys.

Thank you for replying and wish I saw this sooner!

Well you are right about the persent as it was all my products. No hourly wage.
And what you said I have already done and gone my own way as didn't like to sit about waiting for one/two clients..
I now mobile and love it! My own time and clients and no one hassling me about the time..

Express and delux is something I came up with as people where getting annoyed it took about an hour....
Well express can be 20-30 mins less. As no cuticle work?

But you can advice them if they need it...

And the delux is longer but all the works?

Do you think this would've a good service to offer?

And I don't know why it stayed on for so long but I al very carful on how I do it and make sure it's all thin?
And I do belive this one lady dose no house work etc ;)

I have two clients who could go that long... They do work, but the growth near the cuticle is obvious, so we don't usually wait that long. I would suggest getting a portable mani table and bringing in your own clients, also, pass out cards of your own, with YOUR phone number, so clients can book directly with you. TELL him.that you require a day or two to get in your previous clients, or have them come to you ar the salon. Don't let him book for you, and don't depend on him. (learned all this the hard way)

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

In fact, take that day or two and go see your clients... Otherwise he gets commission.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Express and delux is something I came up with as people where getting annoyed it took about an hour....
Well express can be 20-30 mins less. As no cuticle work?

;)

Part of the Shellac treatment is the PEP on the nails and this includes full cuticle work- I don't mean to sound harsh but by not doing the full cuticle work then the client is not receiving the proper service. I appreciate time is a factor but I feel it is up to you to work on your timings to ensure that full prep of the nail is done. I presume you are charging differently for the deluxe Shellac when in reality you should be starting from the basis of what a Shellac treatment is and build your services around that...by all means have a deluxe manicure but the basics of Shellac should apply for all clients.
I am like you, a total perfectionist and I have had to work a lot on my timings as I could take ages to do a Shellac but when you have other bookings in you soon learn to speed it up and get it done properly in a shorter time- It is possible! It takes me 30 minutes now, a little more maybe depending on how bad nails are and how much prep is needed. I have had people have Shellac last 6 weeks with not a chip in sight- lots of regrowth which didn't look so nice but I rarely have problems with chipping etc, only where people abuse their nails and don't follow aftercare.

Latest posts

Back