Shellac - Suitable for Vegetarians??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leanne P

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can tell me if Shellac is suitable for Vegetarians??
Had a client in today to book a Mani plus Shellac providing it doesnt actually contain "Shellac" from beatles
Have her booked in for tomorrow but trying to find info on it and now having any luck!! I assume if it wasnt suitable for veggies then it would be on the bottles plus woulda been mentioned in the training but wouldnt like to take the risk!
Thanks guys x

what on earth!! Shellac is a resin that is secreted from a bug, she won't be eating it!!lol.
Or is it that she just doesn't like the thought of bugs?

I'm a vegetarian but that is hard core vegetarianism. lol.

I know I keep posting but this really made me laugh!! Does she not wear silk then because it comes from silk worms, or won't wear wool because it comes from sheep!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a vegetarian but that is hard core vegetarianism. lol.

lol i know, she was a little crazy ha ha. I looked it up earlier and seemingly although its just secreted from bugs, some say its not suitable for vegetarians cos it MAY contain crushed beatles!! Very strange altogether!!! Thats exactly what I thought -she wont be eating it! Each to their own i guess... :) lol

Shellac is the trade name or product name. There are no, as far as I know, crushed beetles in Shellac. The trade name referrers to the shine xxxx

Shellac is the trade name or product name. There are no as far as I know crushed beetles in Shellac. The trade name referres to the shine xxxx

I thought so Ruth thanks, you meet some funny ones in this industry dont ya!! :)

Oh and just to clear that up I meant i read that Shellac the resin may contain crushed bugs and not CND Shellac! Just in case that looked the other way around!
"This coating is not vegan and most likely not vegetarian either as it may, and probably does, contain crushed insects."

Thanks ladies xx

No your right, for furniture polish yes it may but for nail colouring Shellac, she should be fine lol xxxx bless em xxxx

Think shellac is in some mascaras and eyeliners. Had a quick look on cosmeticdatabase.com x

The name shellac as a varnish refers to a durable hard shiny coating such as used to be used in the furniture business and preserving wood trim on boats etc.

The CND product 'Shellac' is so named for the same two qualities of durability and shine ... It contains no bugs or resins from bugs ... I thought I'd heard everything by now, but this one takes the prize, it really does.

Last edited:
Thanks gigi, i no i kinda laughed myself but i was told 'u can laugh if u want but im a devot vegetarian!' so thought id best ask the question!!
when u think about it tho if u start using a new shampoo called Pollen, would you blame someone for wondering if it contained pollen? especially as shellac the resin is used in varnish products to create a long lasting, high gloss shine..?
thanks for clearin that up everyone x x

I think it would be worth having a think about why people are vegetarians. It's normally because, for whatever reason, they don't think animals should be killed unnecessarily. Being vegetarian isn't just about not eating 'meat', for example gelatine (from bones) is in most sweets but a vegetarian wouldn't eat it.

Very few of the the vegetarians I know wear leather and several don't wear silk...it isn't that unusual and I think asking about shellac is a sensible question, it definitely shouldn't be laughable.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if Shellac is suitable for Vegetarians??
Had a client in today to book a Mani plus Shellac providing it doesnt actually contain "Shellac" from beatles
Have her booked in for tomorrow but trying to find info on it and now having any luck!! I assume if it wasnt suitable for veggies then it would be on the bottles plus woulda been mentioned in the training but wouldnt like to take the risk!
Thanks guys x

It is suitable and contains no beetles !! Lord's sake !!

Last edited:
'Gelicure' and 'Nubar Polishes' state that they are "vegan and cruelty free"!!! xx

No one is knocking vegitarians. The question has been answered and this is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back