Shellac timings!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm taking ages too! I can do full set of acrylics faster which seems bizzare?!! I'm so careful to get it neat and tidy that it takes blooming forever.....and if they want a design.....well!! I may as well book out the rest of the day!! Losing my confidence!

i have to be honest here and say i cant understand how its taking so long...if it was a set of enhancements we were talking about i could but not shellac??

I think we are all sometimes a bit too ott with cuticle work and with perfection, take a step back, relax when you are working and the timings will come down.

It takes me half and hour to do a plain colour in shellac and 45 mins for french or nail art. I can do rockstars in around 35 mins too. hth

i have to be honest here and say i cant understand how its taking so long...if it was a set of enhancements we were talking about i could but not shellac??

I think we are all sometimes a bit too ott with cuticle work and with perfection, take a step back, relax when you are working and the timings will come down.

It takes me half and hour to do a plain colour in shellac and 45 mins for french or nail art. I can do rockstars in around 35 mins too. hth

is this for a removal and re shellac or just a shellac? just curious :)

I am quite new to this (4 months) and it takes me 1 hr 15 mins to do removal and re-shellac/Gelish....the actual polish stage only takes me 30 mins so I'm taking 45 mins on removal which is about 5 mins to wrap, 15 mins resting in heated towels while we sort out colours, then about 25 mins to get any residue off, file nails and tidy cuticles etc....

I need to be faster and not so OCD - it will come with experience and confidence I'm sure x

The removal took the usual 15 mins but I find when I scrap the shellac off bits of base coat still on the nail, so wrap it again.

Then clients who are regular I still clean cuticles with CA because they look untidy.

Polish took me about 40 mins.

I started at 7pm, an hour and a bit for removal and cuticle tidy.

I'd like to book more than one client an evening but the rate I'm going I can't.

Maybe because I'm a perfectionist and check every little thing closely, I don't know where I'm going wrong.

Can you try wiping/rubbing the last bit of base residue off with remover on a wipe rather than wrapping? Might shave ten mins off your time. Maybe base is too thick and that why its not budging easy enough?

I'm new like you so by no means an expert - hopefully others will have more ideas for you x

I am quite new to this (4 months) and it takes me 1 hr 15 mins to do removal and re-shellac/Gelish....the actual polish stage only takes me 30 mins so I'm taking 45 mins on removal which is about 5 mins to wrap, 15 mins resting in heated towels while we sort out colours, then about 25 mins to get any residue off, file nails and tidy cuticles etc....

I need to be faster and not so OCD - it will come with experience and confidence I'm sure x

You need to be using CND Nourishing Remover, after you wrap, time 8 mins and off it comes. It's waaaaaaay better than acetone and the Shellac removes beautifully. 25 mins to get residue off, you may need to look at your base coat application as really should take 15 mins including wrapping. Add an extra five to run over the nails to remove any remaining product.

Thanks for your help x

I use the nourishing remover or d-solve. 25 mins removal of residue AND prep. What about time to remove the fresh cuticle at the regrowth area and time to file and shape the nails?

I found it helpful to break it all down as I struggled with timing in the beginning. I'm a talker as well so will happily yap away, I now talk to the hands!

Removal
5 mins to wrap
8 mins nourishing remover/10 mins acetone
3 mins remove wraps twisting on removal to take off loosened product

10 mins file & cuticle work (1minute each finger)

Scrubfresh all nails 1 minute

Base 10 secs
Colour 120 secs x2
Top 120 secs
6 mins 10 secs for each hand. Total 12 mins 20 secs.

Generally should be polishing one hand whilst other is curing. Obviously when adding nail art/additives/glitter etc this will add time.

You do have to factor in when clients have a lot of cuticle work to be done or a lot of filing so don't be hard on yourself when it takes you over time. The above times are what I try to set myself against but it's not a hard and fast rule. Also you have to add in consultation and sanitising hands.

Yeah i cant quite understand how its taking so long.....it takes me 45 mins removal and new shellac,30 mins new shape and polish shellac & 45 mins french!!
We have a few new girls at work just started on the shellac and they take a lot longer but i do think its the perfectionist in people which isnt abad thing but you dont also want to get a reputation of taking too long/running late all the time!!
Like someone said above.....always work on the other hand when one is
in curing

I'm doing everything as mentioned here.

I had a client tonight and same thing 2 hours!

I apply base coat thinly. I'm am using CND nourishing remover. Tried to be quick with cuticle as well, but still taking way too long.

I just don't know where I'm going wrong? I don't like rushing the work either.

I'm doing everything as mentioned here.

I had a client tonight and same thing 2 hours!

I apply base coat thinly. I'm am using CND nourishing remover. Tried to be quick with cuticle as well, but still taking way too long.

I just don't know where I'm going wrong? I don't like rushing the work either.

You don't need to rush and speed will come the more you do so don't stress out on timings, as long as client is happy that's most important.

Ok so when you take off the wraps is there product still on the nail?
Are you using Cuticle Away? Do you think you might be going too ott on the prep?

I dont think you should be hard on yourself for wanting to make them perfect when doing shellac......just make yourself aware that you need to speed up!!
Do you stop when you chat to your client rather than work and chat??ive seen that happen a lot!!
Keep a clock or watch next to you and clock watch so to speak and set yourself personal targets......your doing everything correct & once your confident with a product speed will come!!

Yes there is product on the nail after I remove the wraps. So re-wrap them.

My clients love their nails! I always get messages thanking me on how beautiful their nails look.

I talk but I don't stop working!

Yes there is product on the nail after I remove the wraps. So re-wrap them.

My clients love their nails! I always get messages thanking me on how beautiful their nails look.

I talk but I don't stop working!

You shouldn't need to rewrap them, the product should be nearly all off the nail and anything remaining easily removed with light touch of orange stick or pad soaked with remover.
Try go thinner with base, I know you probably think its already thin but I honestly had same problem when I started. Now what I do is take brush from bottle, wipe off excess into neck of bottle and dot the brush onto each nail starting with thumb. Then go back to thumb and cover whole nail...all this without re dipping the brush back into the base coat bottle. It really is amazing how little product you need and how far it goes. Once I got into habit of doing this the residue isn't on the nails.

Try it :)

You shouldn't need to rewrap them, the product should be nearly all off the nail and anything remaining easily removed with light touch of orange stick or pad soaked with remover.
Try go thinner with base, I know you probably think its already thin but I honestly had same problem when I started. Now what I do is take brush from bottle, wipe off excess into neck of bottle and dot the brush onto each nail starting with thumb. Then go back to thumb and cover whole nail...all this without re dipping the brush back into the base coat bottle. It really is amazing how little product you need and how far it goes. Once I got into habit of doing this the residue isn't on the nails.

Ok ill definetly try that! Thank you!😃

Probably a really silly question but do you remove all the excess from both sides of the brush or just one. I thought I was doing my base coat too thick as was having problems with removal but when I did it really really thin I found it difficult to cover the whole hand with what was on my brush, there was literally nothing on my brush. It also made no difference to the residue when removing so I'm thinking the problem lies elsewhere like not saturating the pads enough? x

Just did a shellac and removal on hubby (hehe) and it took me 55 mins for application and about 20 for removal - so I've got my time down by about 45 mins!! Thanks for the tips ladies!! Having a clock near me definitely helped and it was for sure my prep that was taking too long! Still got work to do to get the time down more but definitely on the way :)

x

i take around 40 minutes start to finish for shellac. I have been doing it for 2 years though.

Hey! Can I ask if the 40mins includes cuticle work everytime??

Probably a really silly question but do you remove all the excess from both sides of the brush or just one. I thought I was doing my base coat too thick as was having problems with removal but when I did it really really thin I found it difficult to cover the whole hand with what was on my brush, there was literally nothing on my brush. It also made no difference to the residue when removing so I'm thinking the problem lies elsewhere like not saturating the pads enough? x

I kinda wipe the brush both sides off neck of bottle, not for ages until there's nothing at all left. There is still product on it but not loads and by sitting it on nails starting with thumb I just find leaves the right amount needed for each nail. I used to always start with little fingers and work across that way but I don't do this for the base.
The pads need to really be well saturated and wrapped nice and snug against nails so that's a good point to note.
Great that you got the removal to 20 mins, I don't believe that people need to totally rush things just to fit into a time scale but at least by keeping an eye on the clock you really do start to see where the time is going and if overall the Shellac appointments are taking longer than the norm you can see where you need to improve.

Latest posts

Back