Shellac - what's going on?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashlash

Reaction score
I'm having varying success with Shellac I have to say at the moment. I did 2 clients last week, one on Thursday and one on Friday.

The Thursday I did in the funny named blue/green one and used Blackpool on the Friday girl. The Thursday girl has one chip on her thumb (small) and one on her pointer finger. These are obviously the fingers which get the most bashing. She doesn't use gloves to wash up and has a busy life with 3 kids - always in and out of water.

The Friday girl lost one yesterday (6 days) and another one today and has taken them off. She did say she'd been gardening and only had one glove, that was the first hand which started to go. I have had another client who only got a few days out of hers too and my sister-in-law who has badly acrylic scarred nails never gets more than about 7/8 days ever.
AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG?

I almost feel as though I should be giving a rebate to these people and yet on me they last great - so what's going on? I scrub fresh, I now use the CND cuticle away but sometimes still soak them. I think I'm doing everything well. My lamp is in good nick with plenty of hours left. I'm beginning to really doubt myself and it's knocking my confidence.
Does everyone else get 2 weeks out of it without fail - are they unchipped and just have regrowth when they come off? Please can you give me some advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Joanna:Scared:

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, You should try & do a dry pep of nails only & if using cuticle away use a fine soapy spray to cleanse the nail plate. Don't submerge the hand. Shellac won't adhere correctly if the nail is hydrated. Secondly, your clients are tending to abuse their nails!! ALL clients do it! So yours aren't the only ones!! "Nails are jewels not tools"!! Its a must to wear gloves when washing up or gardening - so this is down to them & you shouldn't feel guilty or refund them!! Make sure they are using Solar oil twice a day if not more!!

Sorry my stupid phone keeps sending before I have finished lol!!

You are doing a great job! Don't berate yourself!! It happens to us all including the 'Best'!! It's all a learning curve - but that is the best thing about SG! We are all here to help each other
HTH
Fiona :)

Thank you - how about wiping off cuticle away with a damp flannel, does it have to be soapy?

I'm not even that careful with my nails. I'm doing treatments all the time, never wear rubber gloves and they are great. Currently I have Dashing Diva White French tips under Moonlight and Roses with the new VIP Status glitter. They look stunning and last an easy 2 weeks. I do think the tips help. Why is the solar oil so important and does it have to be solar? I do sell it but not all take it. Is it to keep the nails flexible under the polish to avoid brittle and therefore cracking polish? Obviously it keeps cuticles nice too. Should I be more forceful perhaps about the CND Solar Oil and the gloves. Is it acceptable to say that given the right conditions they'll last 2 weeks but if abused - ie; gardening/excessive bashing/washing up without gloves etc it's unlikely. Mine chipped this week as I picked pasta off the bottom of a pan.....however, being a technician I just filed off edge and applied glitter and top coat and they are fine again! I love it - I just hate the thought that other people think it's me? Should have more confidence - you are right!!

I have a little sprayer I got from Boots in the travel section and what I do is use cuticle remover, then a light misting and a good wipe with lint free pad to remove any residue :)
It does seem these ladies are quite hard on their hands, I wouldnt worry too much as from my own experience wiht Gelish, I can barely keep it chip free for 4 days because im busy with 3 small children, constantly in water, Even though I do wear rubber gloves when washing up!
Just advise them with their aftercare that unless they wear gloves, look after their nails, they will not last.
Chin up
xx

I too have ups and downs with Shellac. The more Shellac's I do the more I am certain that my application doesn't change and those clients who don't manage to get two weeks have usually done something to affect the Shellac.

I was taught to wash off the cuticle away with 10 parts water to 1 part liquid soap in a spray bottle and rub each nail with a flannel or lint free cloth. This works for me, although I always get the odd client who just never gets much past 7 days. It's very disheartening, but try not to worry. No refunds just offer to fix the problem and charge if they caused the problem.

Sometimes clients surprise you.... Today I had my first client who had worn shellac for 21 days! There was one chip but I was amazed and very pleased! :D

Good luck, stick with it and you'll be fine xx

On clients that have acrylic damaged nails or problem nails i tried after prep a small layer of primer and it worked a treat xxx

On clients that have acrylic damaged nails or problem nails i tried after prep a small layer of primer and it worked a treat xxx
you NEVER need to use a primer with Shellac ? ! ?
I think you need to do a Shellac class asap , sorry .

Please dont blame yourself, by not following aftercare what does your client expect?! Shellac is not indestructible!!

I recommend dry PEP only unless the cuticles are very bad then I will use cuticle away then deactivate it with a soap and water mix sprayed onto the nail and removed with a hands down pad. When using scrub fresh, really scrub the nail and free edge, it's not just a wipe over it's a five second scrub of each nail. Also check you are sealing the free edge with a swipe of the brush. Clients MUST follow aftercare otherwise there is no point. I give a strict aftercare guide and I am quite firm about making them follow it!!

Shellac does not suit everyone, if they have weak damaged nails they cannot expect to get the same wear as someone with good strong nails. You can either be picky about who you Shellac or if they insist on having it warn them they may not get the two weeks. You don't need to rebate them at all just get them to appreciate and look after your hard work :hug:

E x

you NEVER need to use a primer with Shellac ? ! ?
I think you need to do a Shellac class asap , sorry .

No need for sorry. I should have said in post im not fimiliar with shellac only other gels x

Shellac is not bullet proof , it is not as strong as some people tend to think , at the same time i dont wear gloves i file with mine , i remove and aply 15 or more Shellac clients per week , I have 3 kids and a house , 2 dogs to walk a graden to play in and yes im sure you get the point ,

normal wear and tear ,
if you pick things like stickers , if you have them in your mouth , grate a bunch of cheese or do things that would wreck your natral nails then there probably going to wreck your clients Shellac to .

When you do Shellac you shuld make sure that you scrubfresh properly , scrub it into the nail not wipe over , be sure to get the side walls and under the free edge . its not just a dehydrator its a pathogen fighter to ,

be sure you have removed all blue film from your CND light

you also need to be seeling not capping each layer inc base and top coat .

maybe your working to thick?

it really is hard to say where you are going wrong with out seeing some photos or reading a step by step, but your clients shuld be getting a much better result than it sounds like your geting . It might be worth going to see your CND educator , i am sure they could set you back on track very quickly :)

Thanks guys.....2 booked in today. Will use your tips and see how I go. Will also be stricter with the aftercare advice. Do they have to use Solar Oil or will any oil do?

Some of my nails....what do you think? Look OK?

Attachments

• IMG_1088.jpg
    IMG_1088.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0839.jpg
    IMG_0839.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 230
  • 47 nails.jpg
    47 nails.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_0937.jpg
    IMG_0937.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_1081.jpg
    IMG_1081.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 241
Solar oil wins awards and is in the beauty hall of fame for a reason.

It has The highest grade cosmetic oils that will not only penetrate the shellac, but right through to hydrate the natural nail. It will help keep shellac (and other enhancements flexible and tough. Reducing chipping and brittleness. Plus with a cosmetic grade anti aging vitamin e it keeps soft tissue young and healthy...

Most oils are larger in their molecule an do not penetrate like solar oil. It is 'a miracle in a bottle' for both the client and you... Make sure every client has it and uses it ...

Hth's

Thanks guys.....2 booked in today. Will use your tips and see how I go. Will also be stricter with the aftercare advice. Do they have to use Solar Oil or will any oil do?

Some of my nails....what do you think? Look OK?

I think your nails look amazing. Your smile lines are fabulous... secrets please!? Mine to could be a lot sharper!!

Thank you thank you thank you!!! Used 2 new Shellac colours together. Looked amazing. Dry manicure, using all your tips. Still found cuticles quite hard to remove even with Cuticle Away - but ploughed on!

My fab smile lines are not really down to me I'm afraid but to Dashing Diva's French Wrap tips which come in 0-13 sizes and in two thicknesses. Check them out - they are amazing. Really easy to do and excellent with Shellac. Hold out really really well provided the natural nails are not 'flat' ie they have a curve. If not, they can lift and move away from tip.

I do do freehand french too which I think I do get away with pretty well. Have attached pic. What do you think? x

Both clients purchases solar oil from me today.....think I scared them into it. Now count down of days begins. Pleeeeeaaaase let them last!!! x

Latest posts

Back