Shellac with bitten nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky_simon

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have a bitten nail client requesting Shellac to help her fight the habit.

Any tips to help me make sure I don't get it all over her skin? I have seen the fingernail fixer Video on applying the Shellac horizontally rather then the traditional way along the free edge. Also mayb applying a form to help keep any mistakes off the skin.

I will retail her some SolarOil and of course home aftercare

I'm far from an expert but so far I've had 3 clients and every one of them has had short bitten nails- I must be lucky ;). I used the fingernailfixer tips and also just to be sure I ran an orange stick along the skin at the free edge after applying the topcoat before curing to make sure I hadn't left any on the skin. So far (knock on wood) they've all lasted well (actually not sure about my French from last week as not seen her again yet).

Depending on how far up from the finger tips the nails are, I've started framing the nails first, going from cuticle area to the sides then pulling back the skin a bit and using the very corner of the brush to cap the free edge before going in and painting the entire plate. Sometimes, I use a dotting tool to swipe across the free edge if it's too far up and I can't pull the finger tips back. These are on days when I just don't feel like messing around with forms :lol: This was a method my trainer taught me when I was training with OPI axxium. Of course it was easier with axxium because I was using the tiny, slim #4 brush, but framing first seems to work best for me when I have concerns about polish/gels touching skin.

Didn't want to read and run.

Holly's vid is fab so you've done the right thing in watching that. It might take a little extra time, just go slowly and steadily and clean as you go if needs be, it depends just how badly bitten they are.

I personally would go for a nice light colour so as not to draw attention too.

Think about retailing a file and cuticle eraser too, to make sure she keesp those edges smooth and the skin moisturised and prevent cuticle from building up. A lot of my ex biters went from biting the nail to the skin so you want to discourage this!

Good luck helping her break the habit, it is a fab feeling :)

So glad you asked this question as I was about to do the same! I've got some severely bitten nails to Shellac next week and I'm a little nervous.

Could you point me in the direction of Holly's video? Also, I only do natural nails so don't possess any of these 'forms' that you ladies speak of. Should I buy some?

Thanks all. Fingers crossed! x

I'm far from an expert but so far I've had 3 clients and every one of them has had short bitten nails- I must be lucky ;). I used the fingernailfixer tips and also just to be sure I ran an orange stick along the skin at the free edge after applying the topcoat before curing to make sure I hadn't left any on the skin. So far (knock on wood) they've all lasted well (actually not sure about my French from last week as not seen her again yet).
Yes I always have an orange wood stick when applying Shellac, so easy to quickly wipe any that accidentally touches the skin

Depending on how far up from the finger tips the nails are, I've started framing the nails first, going from cuticle area to the sides then pulling back the skin a bit and using the very corner of the brush to cap the free edge before going in and painting the entire plate. Sometimes, I use a dotting tool to swipe across the free edge if it's too far up and I can't pull the finger tips back. These are on days when I just don't feel like messing around with forms :lol: This was a method my trainer taught me when I was training with OPI axxium. Of course it was easier with axxium because I was using the tiny, slim #4 brush, but framing first seems to work best for me when I have concerns about polish/gels touching skin.
I can definitely sympathise with the faffing around with forms, normally I'm fine but on a bitten nail with lots of baulbas (sorry bad sp) skin I do struggle so if I can avoid this I will. Good idea with dotting tool, will have a practice tomorrow

Holly's vid is fab so you've done the right thing in watching that. It might take a little extra time, just go slowly and steadily and clean as you go if needs be, it depends just how badly bitten they are.

Think about retailing a file and cuticle eraser too, to make sure she keesp those edges smooth and the skin moisturised and prevent cuticle from building up. A lot of my ex biters went from biting the nail to the skin so you want to discourage this!

The cuticle eraser, does this prevent cuticle build up? I imagine a nail biter would get a lot. I will see what colour she wants and maybe suggest a light colour if she doesn't come up with one and see what she thinks

Do you have the link for that video?? Pleaseeeeeeee I'm very interested :)

Oh dear! Iv just had a text from this bitten nail client (that I did last night) to say as she opened her frosted up car this morning (and she said she struggled) one of her thumb nails came off.
One of her thumb nails was very short so I'm guessing it's that one. Just getting some details off her now, whether it came off in one or chipped.
If its come off in one it's probably my fault :-( I'm guessing I prob didn't seal the free edge well enough and didn't remove all the cuticle (even though at the time I thought I had).
Trouble is she is a teacher so can only do eve slots and I'm fully booked.
If I can repair it I will and I'm thinking free if charge as its happened so soon.
Would you say that's the right thing to do?

I'm actually serious but this worked for my friend wear gloves

Latest posts

Back