Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayhills

Reaction score
I've just been wondering if shellac top coat can be put over normal nail polish? I've googled this and got mixed answers but has anyone else got any answers?

Thanks
K x

You can always just try it and let us all know😃

I am sure you have found CND does not recommend it.

I have tried to sandwich regular polish between Shellac back and top coat with no success. I thought if I let the polish dry for several hours it would work. However, it chipped very quickly and was not worth the time it took to put it on.

Well it said on beauty box, that if you let the polish dry for 30 mins and then did shellac, it would work. But yeah I might just try and see.

I don't want to offend anyone but... Why on earth would anyone want a service like that? Polish & Shellac???

I am sorry but for me it's just totally ridiculous.

One either offers Shellac- a complete service, or not.

X

It's not to offer a service, it's for me and my family. As I cant afford all the shellacs yet, and I'm slowing building up my collection whereas I have alot of polish so could offer a bigger range.

No, this is not recommended procedure and I would not expect it to last at all well. Instead, why don't you do a complete Shellac service using the CND Shellac base coat, colour coat and top coat, then remove the tacky layer and paint your nail polish on afterwards? The Shellac being on the nails will give them a little strength, and also lengthen the wear of the polish.

I don't want to offend anyone but... Why on earth would anyone want a service like that? Polish & Shellac???

I am sorry but for me it's just totally ridiculous.

One either offers Shellac- a complete service, or not.

X

Totally agree with this.
I don't know why anyone would bother. Makes no sense to me at all.
Sorry to be blunt.
x

I have done it before as I have some regular polish that I love but after always now using shellac and I'm heavy handed regular polish just seems such a let down with the length of time I don't get out of wearing it always chips the next day! So did regular polish base two coats colour and then hellac top coat and no isn't work. I let my polish dry for just over half an hour befor applyin the shellac and it wasn't worth my time doing it it still didn't last.
Using an OPI topcoat does help it last a little longer tho.

No, this is not recommended procedure and I would not expect it to last at all well. Instead, why don't you do a complete Shellac service using the CND Shellac base coat, colour coat and top coat, then remove the tacky layer and paint your nail polish on afterwards? The Shellac being on the nails will give them a little strength, and also lengthen the wear of the polish.

Completely agree with this- I would use clearly pink, which means client can always remove the polish with an acetone free remover & still have beautiful shiny nails underneath :)

Completely agree with this- I would use clearly pink, which means client can always remove the polish with an acetone free remover & still have beautiful shiny nails underneath :)

I think the OP doesn't mean for clients like she said for herself and family to use. Not for a service

Thank you, this is a brilliant answer and I'll follow what you said. Then at least I'm getting best of both world, the strength but also more colours.

Thank

I would agree that this is not an appropriate service for a professional to offer, as it is not sanctioned by CND, but DIYers have been doing this for quite a while with varying degrees of success. It's called a "gelly sandwich," gel base rnp and gel topcoat. The key to success seems to be allowing the rnp to dry absolutely thoroughly, overnight even, before using the topcoat.

A better solution to my mind is doing a complete Shellac service using Clearly Pink for a natural look and then using rnp over the Shellac. That allows you to change polish using a non-acetone remover and leave the Shellac intact underneath.

I think the OP doesn't mean for clients like she said for herself and family to use. Not for a service

I consider family and friends to be clients when I do their nails. I treat them with the same care and consideration as other clients, and provide the same quality of service. They might be getting a freebie but I wouldn't want them to suffer from product breakdown, or for them to think that Shellac isn't a quality product. And we all know that our own nails are our best advertising tool- no way would I risk a chip through incorrect use of products, especially when I could apply polish over the top rather than between layers.

I consider family and friends to be clients when I do their nails. I treat them with the same care and consideration as other clients, and provide the same quality of service. They might be getting a freebie but I wouldn't want them to suffer from product breakdown, or for them to think that Shellac isn't a quality product. And we all know that our own nails are our best advertising tool- no way would I risk a chip through incorrect use of products, especially when I could apply polish over the top rather than between layers.

As I'm sure many of us do also when doing family and friends. But if it was done that way then it's not a shellac treatment and its proved to not work so no I wouldn't recommend doing it or using it. And yes a better way is todo natural shellac and apply over the too. But I seem to recall the OP asking if it works and I think she has her answer. No it doesn't, and its not recommended to be used. Do shellac base light pink top coat an then if you wish use RP over te top and can remove when needed with non acetone polish remover.

Latest posts

Back