Shingles

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara Satchell

Reaction score
I was diagnosed with Shingles on Monday this week. Luckily, I only had 2 clients so I've cancelled those, but should I cancel next week? It is contagious - but only to people who havn't had Chicken Pox, and pregnant women I think - I also think people can carry it and pass it on without actually getting it themselves. I don't know whether to cancel next week (i've got about 6 clients) - im sure i'll feel better by then, and I don't want to lose cleints - what should I do?

Hi Sara - sorry to hear you're not well - :hug: I'd be tempted to see the doctor again on Monday morning, just to be on the safe side. He'll be able to tell you whether you're still contagious or whatever - it'd be awful to pass it onto anyone - just a thought hun, hope you feel better soon! xxx

Hi Sara
I am sorry to hear you have Shingles, I hope you are soon feeling better.

I don't want to throw a spanner in the works, but Shingles is not 'normally' a quick getting over virus, it can actually takes weeks (months if you are really unlucky!). I am not sure tho how long it is contageous, but if I was you, I would do some research on the ol internet (google is a brilliant search tool) and see how long it is contageous, after that I think you will have to play it by ear, but any clients that are in the child bearing years should be warned if you carry on working, then its up to them if they put themselves at risk or not. Did you Doctor not advise you how long you should be off work?

Hope you are not in too much discomfort.

Thinking of you.

Hope you get better soon Sara.

This is something that I'm quite worried about myself. I don't think I have ever had chicken pox or shingles in my life time, and having a little boy who's 11 months now, he's bound to get something at some point.

When you say you can carry it with out knowing and pass it on...........I wonder if I'm one of those people! Scarey!!:Scared:

I would seek some advice from your Doctor - armed with that I would then call your clients next week and let them know the situation and they can decide with the facts.

They may choose to come anyway if they are well and not bothered - others may feel they would like to postpone until you are better.

More important is that you take care of yourself and don't work if you are unwell - this is your body's way of saying it needs a rest - make sure you listen.

Take care :hug: I'll give you a hug, I'm not bothered about shingles

Trin
xx

I had shingles on my face a couple of weeks ago due to the stress i was under after the fraudulent use of my card, some of you may remember me havin a whinge about it.

I went straight off to the doc's the day the tingling started and got my anti-viral tablets immediately, i felt better the day after but it took the same amount of time that it takes a cold sore to go for the shingles to go x

Go to the doctor. I seem to remember when I contracted shingles the drug prescribed was zovirax.

Dont delay

Steve

Hope you feel lots better soon Sara.

Julie Parkin said:
Hope you get better soon Sara.

This is something that I'm quite worried about myself. I don't think I have ever had chicken pox or shingles in my life time, and having a little boy who's 11 months now, he's bound to get something at some point.

When you say you can carry it with out knowing and pass it on...........I wonder if I'm one of those people! Scarey!!:Scared:

hi, not so sure about shingles but with chicken pox you've got the 3 weeks incubation period before the spots actually come out, this is also when its contagious, but you would come out in spots after this period! ...not to panic you or anything! lol :eek:

Hi Sara, wonder if this is a local thing? Maybe it's going around. Have heard of a couple of other people with shingles & chicken pox lately.

Hope you feel better soon.

Oh babe, i know how you feel...........
I had shingles too not so long ago,on my head and down my neck, thats why I couldn't compete at Excel this year I couldn't wear my glasses, but managed to work on the geek stand.....and never infected anybody else lol... I had mine on my head and boy did it hurt........My Doctor gave me Aciclovir tablets and it helped immensely, but only good if you are diagnosed very early, also I got mild tranquilisers to take the edge of the nerve pain...........
You need rest and plenty of it ......and they do make you feel so miserable, I was always close to tears and thats deffo not like me......

Hope you feel better soon xxx

Thanks everyone for your advice and kind replies.

I am on those Aciclovir tablets - they're MASSIVE!! Im still feeling really sore, tired and very tearful!! I thought it was just me being stupid - I cried all day yesterday!! Im going to go back to work next week, my first client is on Wednesday so I have a few more days off still. I will just ring them before and check they still want to come. I really need to go back though because im totally skint now!

Latest posts

Back