Short graduation assessment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachy86

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have nearly finished my Level 2 all but a couple of short graduation cuts and one long graduation and 2 perms.
My question is on short graduation....I hate it!!!!!!! My assessor is very very strict and if you miss one corner or have a little strand she will fail me(I do appreciate this is also a good thing!)
Long grads I am not so confident on and still slightly unsure about.I always feel a bit cack handed when I do them.They way I have been taught is to take the guide from the crown and work downwards to the nape and then onto the next section at the top.
I find it hard to get all the hair in by the nape when I bring it in :S I am also finding it hard to not have any corners after a short graduation.Also am not 100% on the way in which to cross check a short grad.Basically it has to be perfect in my eyes and the assessors eyes.
Please can someone help me any tips or alternative methods very very much appreciated :)
Thank you in advance
Rachel xx

Hi guys,
I have nearly finished my Level 2 all but a couple of short graduation cuts and one long graduation and 2 perms.
My question is on short graduation....I hate it!!!!!!! My assessor is very very strict and if you miss one corner or have a little strand she will fail me(I do appreciate this is also a good thing!)
Long grads I am not so confident on and still slightly unsure about.I always feel a bit cack handed when I do them.They way I have been taught is to take the guide from the crown and work downwards to the nape and then onto the next section at the top.
I find it hard to get all the hair in by the nape when I bring it in :S I am also finding it hard to not have any corners after a short graduation.Also am not 100% on the way in which to cross check a short grad.Basically it has to be perfect in my eyes and the assessors eyes.
Please can someone help me any tips or alternative methods very very much appreciated :)
Thank you in advance
Rachel xx

Anyone??:(x

anyone?I could really do with some help :)x

hiya,
I did my level 2 last year and just doing my level 3 now so I know what you're going through. It's difficult to describe how to do a cut without showing someone but I've always found youtube really helpful. Just type in short grad tutorial or something and it shoul come up with some useful stuff.

I tried to reply last night but my computer is pretty useless!!!

Wigth regards to cross checking just remember, if you take your layers vertically to cut them (ie from the crown to the nape) then check them horozontally (ear to ear) if you understand? at the top, if you take your layers from one side of the head to the other, cross check by taking a section from crown to front of hair. think of it like a cross........you are cutting in one way and checking in the other, making an X shape?one line of the X is your cut, the second line is the checking.

Hard to explain. Do you do head sheets at college? I hated them but I seemed to be the only one who didn't get them at all :p

Good luck hun, and it is definitely for the best you get failed an assessments easily!!! Up here they pass you if you remember to bring your flaming scissors to college LOL

i was the same with long grad and the gettin all the hair in, it like its too much hair for the comb to hold so split the guide as u work down, like from ur guide take two inche up into it and follow, then lose half of what u have cut and use the other half as a new guide, because every bit of hair u are cutting is becomeing a new guide. with short grad cross checking, like said above u need to be checkin horizontally. so jus take fine sections and over direct upwards and look for bits that jut out or are unevern and skim them off, with short hair i always cross check wet and blunt cut and then dry and chip in to blend!! as for corners tale these off when u are finishing ur cut like in the final touches. cross checkin really is the key to success. wella do online tutorial videos in there website have a look they are very helpful x

Latest posts

Back