Short nails, Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkles26

Reaction score
Just over from hair to ask what you would all recommend for short nails in terms of colours and nail art from shellac to show the nails to their best. Thanks in advance xoxox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually don't recommend anything too dark for short nails, something neutral or french depending on the length. Cocoa is quite popular for me. French can give the illusion of a little more length if the nails aren't TOO short. :Love:

I usually don't recommend anything too dark for short nails, something neutral or french depending on the length. Cocoa is quite popular for me. French can give the illusion of a little more length if the nails aren't TOO short. :Love:

I don't use Shellac, I use Gelish. Personally I think short dark nails look fab.

I think it depends on your finger length which colors are best suited. Long fingers easily pull off dark shades with ease where lil stubbed like mine it doesn't look so appealing. At the end though color tones of skin and personality choice is where most go. Think of it as hair color and you will easily find your fab shade☺ happy shellacking ;)

Thank you! It'll be my first shellac!!

I agree. I love short dark nails. I love Gelish's "Bella's Vampire" on myself when my nails are short!! Looks so chic and classy!!

Oh right I might have to find somewhere that does Gelish then as my local salon only does shellac , there's a dodgy oriental salon in town but wouldn't trust that one at all after what I've read on here xoxox

Did shellac wildfire on a lady with very short nails and it looked very classy.
I have shortened mine and put fedora on with some random spots of creme puff on the ring fingers, also looks good.

Sparkles26 if its for you why.not pop a pic on her of your nails now so we cab suggest a colour a bit better. Ike its been said above some people versions of short are different.

My.nails for example are short at the moment but I've got long fingers and long nail beds so I could pull off darker colours if I wanted but I won't because my personal preferrence on myself is dark colours when my nails are long.

I do dark colours n a lot of clients with short nails but if they have small nail beds I do try to steer them away from darks because it can make them look even smaller.

Definitely try and get a pic up on her then we can help a bit more.

xxx

I think colour can look fab on short nails

You can use the "slimline" technique to slim down a wide or short nail bed.

Pep
Base, cure
1x nude like Cocoa as normal, cure
2x target colour, leaving a visible margin away from the lateral folds (but not away from the eponychium).
Top coat, cure.
Wipe with IPA

Depends how short short is? Bitten short or broken short with no free edge I would say nudes and naturals. No nail atr as it draws attention.

Manicured, purposefully short and tidy I would say dark colours are fab.

I agree with Zooks. A short nail that's short because its been bitten right down (the sort with the bulbous tissue at the end of the free edge) is best in a neutral colour, maybe a silver chrome if they want a bit of colour. A short nail that's short by design with a tidy free edge looks wonderful in a dark colour, in fact I prefer darks on this length of nail. Blackpool looks very classy on a short nail.

I do a nail biters programme (weekly visit for 6 weeks minimum). I have had most success when I insist that for the first few visits the client has a dark colour even on the most badly bitten short nails with bulbous skin. It doesn't look great but they can't help but notice them every time they go towards their mouth! If I have allowed the nail biters to have a light or neutral colour they just mess with them or bite them :p

Here's one of my recent successes before and after eight weeks. Excuse the part prepped state of the second picture.

Attachments

• CIMG5417.jpg
    CIMG5417.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 13,959
  • CIMG5893.jpg
    CIMG5893.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 3,618
Sparkles26 if its for you why.not pop a pic on her of your nails now so we cab suggest a colour a bit better. Ike its been said above some people versions of short are different.

My.nails for example are short at the moment but I've got long fingers and long nail beds so I could pull off darker colours if I wanted but I won't because my personal preferrence on myself is dark colours when my nails are long.

I do dark colours n a lot of clients with short nails but if they have small nail beds I do try to steer them away from darks because it can make them look even smaller.

Definitely try and get a pic up on her then we can help a bit more.

xxx

These are my nails but I am having acrylics put on for a ball and it I won't keep them on long as they do my head in. And last time I had gels removed I needed my nails doing really short afterwards so I'm going to have them shellaced :)

yhy3yryq.jpg

Latest posts

Back