Should a tan solution be green and smell?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigoletto

Reaction score
Basically, I received a sample few weeks ago that smelled really badly of rotting fruit and had a very definite green tint to it - it's paraben and fragrance-free. The company said they thought it might not be right and sent another but the trouble is, that also smells of rotting fruit and when I tried to spray it on the inside of my white bath, to get the right flow, it was a really yucky green colour :Scared:
Needless to say, I decided not to use it and swapped to a more familiar solution as I was too chicken to make a mistake.

I've seen other solutions with a slight green tinge to the brown but never like this. If a tan sprays out green and smells like that, then is it normal?
Of course I can only know for sure what it looks like after 12 hours and I'll do it on an inconspicuous patch on myself but I was just wondering if other Geekers had experienced this?

you could try it on someone but i for one wouldnt want to smell of rotting goods and dont think i would take the risk of being green hehe.

What brand is it? Definitely doesn't sound right!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

What brand is it? Definitely doesn't sound right!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

I don't know that I ought to say at the moment - just in case it's just an unlucky batch, or the guide tan is meant to be green lol!

Hun, think about it logically, a client comes to you for a spray tan, you explain that the colour they will see is the guide colour and that they need to leave it on for 8 hours then shower of to reveal the developed tan.
Who wants to walk around with a green skin stinking of rotten fruit for half a day, or risk stinking out their bed if they wear it over night.
I would return the sample to the company and ask them if this sample is in the state they intend it to be.
If, and I strongly doubt it, they say yes, then I would tell them that the product is not pleasantly scented and that you do not think it is a product that would enhance your reputation with your clients.

Hun, think about it logically, a client comes to you for a spray tan, you explain that the colour they will see is the guide colour and that they need to leave it on for 8 hours then shower of to reveal the developed tan.
Who wants to walk around with a green skin stinking of rotten fruit for half a day, or risk stinking out their bed if they wear it over night.
I would return the sample to the company and ask them if this sample is in the state they intend it to be.
If, and I strongly doubt it, they say yes, then I would tell them that the product is not pleasantly scented and that you do not think it is a product that would enhance your reputation with your clients.

That's what I think too but I just needed to check to see if anyone had come across any solution that has a green tint, in the vain hope that the guide-colour may turn brown on contact with the skin, or perhaps after a couple of hours :lol:
I'm deffo going to send the bottles back - the first time I told them about it, they said there was an issue in the warehouse and someone had sent me old stock "from the back" with this particular DHA level. Looks like I drew the short straw again :biggrin:
Thanks for all the help and ideas, I really appreciate it:Love:

The only solution I've seen that was green is my gone off solution.

I have different pots for every % I stock and I left one of my pots in my kit bag by mistake and I keep that in a warm cupboard - when I next got my kit out about a week later I spotted the spare cup and checked the solution - it was green and didn't smell the same as my solution normally does (wouldn't say rotten fruit but it was not as plesant as normal) I threw it out as I knew it had gone off through getting too warm.

I got the bottle out and checked that - and it was fine thankfully - as it had been stored correctly at a cool temperature.

My solution recently went green and although I was told it would be ok as it is only the guide colour that if affected, I threw it out . As said - I wouldnt feel happy if someone came round to me and left me GREEN!

The only solution I've seen that was green is my gone off solution.

I have different pots for every % I stock and I left one of my pots in my kit bag by mistake and I keep that in a warm cupboard - when I next got my kit out about a week later I spotted the spare cup and checked the solution - it was green and didn't smell the same as my solution normally does (wouldn't say rotten fruit but it was not as plesant as normal) I threw it out as I knew it had gone off through getting too warm.

I got the bottle out and checked that - and it was fine thankfully - as it had been stored correctly at a cool temperature.

So I was right to throw the samples I got sent!! they were green too! How long does solution stay fresh and what temperature is right?

This type of post comes up every summer on this site unfortunately,
Tanning solution that Has Organic active ingredients and does nt use paraben and alcohol as preservatives, (like ours) only has a shelf life of around 12 months if its kept unopened in a cool dark place.
Our bottles have a 9 month stamp on the label, so that means we have to sell each batch within 3 months of manufacture to keep the customers supplied with fresh solution that will definately last the 9 months. Our solution is made in the UK, But a lot of other Brands on the market are from abroad, Hence it could of been on a ship for 8 weeks in searing heat before it got to the Uk distributor, We have a stock rotation system so that older solution is first to leave the building, ect Maybe your supplier has sent an old bottle in error ?
Once opened it will last around 6 months, The green colour is because the solution has spoilt usually because its over heated, it should not be green, we have an air con unit in our solution store, and we keep the room cool, to prevent this from happening,
however once its left the building its another matter, it could be in the back of a van in blistering heat for 8 hours on the delivery day ?
Personally i would not use it at all,

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back