Should I be getting paid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandita8601

Mandita
Reaction score
sorry if this is a repeat question, i've looked for answers to this but can't find it.
I'm 31 and just completed level 2 in hairdressing. I will be going back to college in August to do level 3. The thing is i've just started in a salon 1 day per week and as i'm not doing a course at this moment, should i be getting paid form now till i start the course? I know i won't get paid when i do start as my bursary is supposed to cover it. But obviously i'm not getting anything just now. It's costing me in travel to get there. Feel like i'm being grabbed by the short and curlies :mad:

er, was this arranged as work experience or a job? We are currently inundated with requests for w/e at the moment from college leavers.

If you feel unhappy about doing work experience, or do not wish to do it, you can always leave. I dont think you have to do it as part of your course.

Most people are doing unpaid internships because there are not many jobs around, it is good for your CV, good experience, and a foot in the door of the industry.

Mmm if its a good Salon i would bite the bullet and think you are getting paid in non monetary terms... somethings like experience are priceless!!!:D

i was quite lucky really, i get paid 4.25 an hour plus most clients give me tips, but i was prepared to do it unpaid to help me with college, but she said she wanted to give me some money so i could get the bus home and have some dinner. xx

I personally worked in a salon in the lead up to and during my level 3 for free..............yes i was out of pocket lunches petrol etc..but that is not for the salon owner to get you through level 3 as such.its yourself....if you work one day a week...do you choose the day and times.........then i dont think you should be paid to be honest...I felt at my age 37 that it was down to me to get into a salon work for free.....as at my age i cannot afford to start asking for a wage to be turned down because the salons cannot take on staff........at least working for free....the salon owner let me be part of the team and have a client base at no extra cost to themselves....and giving me much valuable experience.

at my stage in the game what experience do you think i should be getting? Joanne when did you start getting clients of your own? You obviously got yourself into the right salon. I've worked one day a week through level 2 and will be doing the same through level 3. During my time in the salon through level 2, all i did was clean and shampoo. I didn't expect to get clients but i did ask one day if i could blow dry a member of staffs hair. The reply was no. Hence not sticking it there for level 3. I just feel there's an awful lot of working for free with very little return. Work placement is part of my course, i have to do 1 day per week to get my bursary (i would do it anyway). This new place i've started in might give me my placement if i do well through the summer. I see it as getting extra shifts from me free of charge. I don't choose the times. There's a girl there that's been training in salon now for 4 years. She said she's had 3 cutting models in the last year and a half. She still isn't qualified. Do you think i should go elsewhere? Think i just feel uneasy about working free for 56 hrs when there's not a definate placement. Feel wide open to them saying it's not working out and having to look for somewhere else last minute
Oh and i don't expect any salon to get me through level 3, they didn't get me through level 2.

Last edited:
To the OP you have said it yourself you have just started in the salon so chances are the manager is sussing you out!!! I know it sucks when you are working for free and all you are doing is cleaning , making tea, and backwash but that is how it is starting work for the first time in a salon. We have all had to do it.
My friends daughter is in this position so i booked in last week for a blowdry so she can show the manager what she can do. Chances are she will be moving salons as i feel they arent intersted and just want a skivvy!!!
Good luck:lol:

at my stage in the game what experience do you think i should be getting? Joanne when did you start getting clients of your own? You obviously got yourself into the right salon. I've worked one day a week through level 2 and will be doing the same through level 3. During my time in the salon through level 2, all i did was clean and shampoo. I didn't expect to get clients but i did ask one day if i could blow dry a member of staffs hair. The reply was no. Hence not sticking it there for level 3. I just feel there's an awful lot of working for free with very little return. Work placement is part of my course, i have to do 1 day per week to get my bursary (i would do it anyway). This new place i've started in might give me my placement if i do well through the summer. I see it as getting extra shifts from me free of charge. I don't choose the times. There's a girl there that's been training in salon now for 4 years. She said she's had 3 cutting models in the last year and a half. She still isn't qualified. Do you think i should go elsewhere? Think i just feel uneasy about working free for 56 hrs when there's not a definate placement. Feel wide open to them saying it's not working out and having to look for somewhere else last minute
Oh and i don't expect any salon to get me through level 3, they didn't get me through level 2.

at your stage now (end of level2) the day i started my placement the salon owner put posters up on the windows asking for models....with prices £10 cut and blow £20 perms and £30 colours....and i was pretty much booked up from the start...
as i was working for free i picked my set days and time...tuesday and fridays 9 till 4..as i was at college for 2 days. i personally world go round every salon before you go back to college...also speak to your tutors if you struggle to find one...find out what salons their students did their placements at and what salon are good for college placements...there is bound to be a salon near the college that has had students before and knows the form...
i think the (working for free) is a better insentive for a salon to take you on and get clients through the door ..but its finding the right salon...just go into the salons explain you will work for free on a set day and times....and would they advertise for models in the window for you.......
i think you should look elswhere if you feel your arent getting any experience xxx
I have built up a good client base now starting at the end of level 2 friends , friends of friends etc so over the year i was doing level 3 i had enough client base to go to once i had completed level 3.
hth

My friends daughter is in this position so i booked in last week for a blowdry so she can show the manager what she can do. Chances are she will be moving salons as i feel they arent intersted and just want a skivvy!!!
Good luck:lol:
I'm getting the feeling that happens alot in hairdressing. It makes me mad. I'm not scared of hard work, just don't want to be taken for a ride. At least your friends daughter has you to look out for her :)

at your stage now (end of level2) the day i started my placement the salon owner put posters up on the windows asking for models....with prices £10 cut and blow £20 perms and £30 colours....and i was pretty much booked up from the start...
as i was working for free i picked my set days and time...tuesday and fridays 9 till 4..as i was at college for 2 days. i personally world go round every salon before you go back to college...also speak to your tutors if you struggle to find one...find out what salons their students did their placements at and what salon are good for college placements...there is bound to be a salon near the college that has had students before and knows the form...
i think the (working for free) is a better insentive for a salon to take you on and get clients through the door ..but its finding the right salon...just go into the salons explain you will work for free on a set day and times....and would they advertise for models in the window for you.......
i think you should look elswhere if you feel your arent getting any experience xxx
I have built up a good client base now starting at the end of level 2 friends , friends of friends etc so over the year i was doing level 3 i had enough client base to go to once i had completed level 3.
hth
Thanks, think you're right. I'll stick with doing 1 day a week through hols and try to find an alternative that might get me models, before going back to college. Maybe see if i can get myself some mobile models. Do you think i should charge for travel if i get mobile models? I don't mind doing the cuts free. I feel better now, thanks everyone for giving me some good advice xxxxxx

it takes time to be a good hair dresser..
more practice, more patiencce..
and have to be careful all the time..

Thanks, think you're right. I'll stick with doing 1 day a week through hols and try to find an alternative that might get me models, before going back to college. Maybe see if i can get myself some mobile models. Do you think i should charge for travel if i get mobile models? I don't mind doing the cuts free. I feel better now, thanks everyone for giving me some good advice xxxxxx

I have allways charged....people coming to me or myself going to them they dont expect it for free, and most wouldnt hear of not being charged. as i was level 2 i felt i could charge for mobile services..i do discount on clients who where the ones who acted like guinea pigs from level 1 but they go by my pricelists now and wont hear of not paying the full price..but that is separate
you need to get the salon placement sorted though mate x.... this is where i learnt so much and was very lucky with my placement....start knocking on doors and pushing yourself forward expalin what you want to gain from working in their salon.models, get your timings down, observing etc ...then you understand each other...i know a few girls had a nightmare at their placements but once they spoke to our tutor she helped them get another one....your tutor will also visit the salons to explain what you need to be doing too xxx hth

i have a salon and the girls from collage get paid if they do more than 1 day a week, but where i live you cant do level 3 unless you have a placement, so there grateful to have the place, i think you should think of it as experience and be glad of the spot there, do you get tips?

no i don't get tips. In fact another girl in my placement was left a £10 tip by a gent, and the bosses didn't tell her. The girl who did let her know about it was given a written warning. I don't know the ins and outs of why. I was told the bosses keep all gifts and tips at christmas time too. Not even a box of chocolates left in the staff room. They take all of it. That's decided it for me. I'm looking elsewhere.

no i don't get tips. In fact another girl in my placement was left a £10 tip by a gent, and the bosses didn't tell her. The girl who did let her know about it was given a written warning. I don't know the ins and outs of why. I was told the bosses keep all gifts and tips at christmas time too. Not even a box of chocolates left in the staff room. They take all of it. That's decided it for me. I'm looking elsewhere.

WHAT?
At Xmas, all boxes of chocs and bottles of wine are kept until xmas eve, and we have a staff raffle so that everyone has a chance at the celebrations!
Diddling the juniors is very low behaviour.

I agree that work experience should be unpaid, as long as some teaching/training is involved, but at least the salon owners should be kind in other ways.

thats not funny, at least where i was although un paid tips where mine and i was treated exactly the same as the other staff, biscuits chocs etc they even got me a little tip pot and even bought a bottle of champers from the boss for xmas..i was treated no differently

Hi there just wanted to put my two penneth in :)

A placement can be the most important part of your education,however it can also be detrimental if you are in the wrong salon. Working towards your level three you should now be working on clients,all be it at a discounted rate.Any salon worth it's salt should give you this opportunity and leave the sweeping etc to those less qualified than yourself.By not gaining the experience you need at this time,long term it could knock your confidence and hold back your progression in skills .

However i would say give it time,let them suss you out,ask them how they see you progessing within their team,if you get the answers you weren't hoping for cut your losses and find a salon willing to support your educational needs.

Best of luck. Becki x

Hi, Just thought id get my 10p in!

I work in a salon that does in-salon training so im not sure on how the placements go BUT it is up to our trainee's to find their own models (the other girls in salon are good for bringing in friends/family etc for them) but ALL tips/gifts belong to the person that done the work, whether it was full service payment or a training model! Even within the normal salon working day if some one leaves a tip for the stylist but not the person at the backwash the stylist should be kind enough to share.

As for training get yourself some cheap cards printed up and have them on you at all times especially if your on a nite out this is the best time to find models as theres usually 100 girls in the pub toilets fixing hair/make up, just make sure ure not legless and are tactful when approaching them i.e your hair is gorgeous im training to be a hairdresser an would love to work with u.... NOT ure hairs a riot but i can fix it... Gumtree is also a good place to advertise for models.

I hope this is of some help,
Good Luck!

Lindsay

rock-n-rollers.co.uk

sorry if this is a repeat question, i've looked for answers to this but can't find it.
I'm 31 and just completed level 2 in hairdressing. I will be going back to college in August to do level 3. The thing is i've just started in a salon 1 day per week and as i'm not doing a course at this moment, should i be getting paid form now till i start the course? I know i won't get paid when i do start as my bursary is supposed to cover it. But obviously i'm not getting anything just now. It's costing me in travel to get there. Feel like i'm being grabbed by the short and curlies :mad:
As a salon owner i have allways made it my policy to pay volunteres what i think they are worth ie if they try hard or not also they are always invited to our salon staff training HOPE THIS HELPs

Latest posts

Back