Should I be worried?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NailsByShakira

Reaction score
My best friends, younger sister has started a nail tech course at our local college where we trained a few years back.

Even though she only started the course a few months ago, she seems to be good at acrylics. I asked her to do a set for me and they weren't bad. She's getting a lot of attention from her friends to do their nails, she does nail art too. I think she charges £15 for a set as she's still training.

I've been doing nails a long time and have never got on with acrylics, I only offer Shellac (£20), Brisa Lite Gels (from £20-£25) and Manicures (£17) atm.

Should I be worried that she may be more popular than me, as we work closely together? Or am I being silly and a little jealous? Lol

I'm just saying, I believe in quality over quantity. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
It does sound that way, why would you not want anyone to do well? would it be better if she was terrible at nails? If acrylics aren't your thing and it is hers then surely you would get the clients that want the other types of nails that you do and she could take all of the acrylic clients, I would have thought that would work out well really :)

The first two sets of nails are beautiful - especially the blue ones.

I am not so sure about the French ones.

She is good. You may be good too?

Although you work closely together she is working with acrylic and you work with natural nails so two different clienteles.

I would urge you not to let jealousy enter the arena ... acknowledge her acrylic nails are lovely - and make sure your natural nails are equal or better!!!!

Up your game if you need to - take the competition and make it improve what you can do.

Good luck :cool:

I think perhaps you are a little jealous? Which I guess is natural, as you are so 'close' to one another. As she seems to have an aptitude for length in acrylics and 'out-there' nail art she will probably organically follow a career in that direction. I would say that if she needs any advice then she is free to ask you etc.
Are all three pictures of her work? As you can tell on the last french picture that there needs to be work on the smile lines as some are 'v' and some are perfect smiles.
Chin up, this market is always going to be saturated with nail techs :)

Thanks for everyone's honest replies. I'm not saying I don't want her to do well, of course I do.

I guess there's plenty of room for everyone in this business! 😊

The first two sets of nails are beautiful - especially the blue ones.

I am not so sure about the French ones.

She is good. You may be good too?

Although you work closely together she is working with acrylic and you work with natural nails so two different clienteles.

I would urge you not to let jealousy enter the arena ... acknowledge her acrylic nails are lovely - and make sure your natural nails are equal or better!!!!

Up your game if you need to - take the competition and make it improve what you can do.

Good luck :cool:

I always love j-annas posts! Agree with every word of this one. Xx

Nice to see you are from Gloucester - I'm originally from Churchdown:). There is plenty of room in this business, but at the end the people who are really successful continuously develop their skills. So it's not so much about the others but you and what you make of your career. Why not ask her to help you learn acrylics?

I wish my acrylics looked like that when I first started 😊. She does seem very talented. But as you both seem to offer different services, I don't think it be will be detrimental to your business. You will probably end up referring clients to each other.

Nice to see you are from Gloucester - I'm originally from Churchdown:). There is plenty of room in this business, but at the end the people who are really successful continuously develop their skills. So it's not so much about the others but you and what you make of your career. Why not ask her to help you learn acrylics?

Thank you, I'm on the way of bettering myself as a nail tech. I want to become a CND Master Painter & Sculptor eventually. Contacting my local CND educator as we speak! Oh no, I just can't hack acrylics. I've tried multiple times. I'll stick with Shellac and Brisa Gels 😊 xx

Lets hope shes not on here and reads this post & sees pics of her work.....Oops! Could be awkward :eek:

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back