Should I deny Service to a Client.....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POSHEMAN

Reaction score
I had two customers visit my business. Obviously they were very middle eastern . Traditional dress etc. they began talking about politics and the current war in Iraq. :zzz: you know the rest. However it really upset my regular clientelle. :Scared: Even to the point of not wanting to return.:evil: the conversation was so upsetting that one of my clients began to argue with them.:rolleyes: Should I deny services to these people ? what about the legal ramifications?:eek:

do you have a sign up that says "we have the right to refuse service to anyone!" that makes a difference in my state.

perhaps the salon manager, or a "person in charge" could of said something to them? just to keep peace!

people go to salons to relax and treat themselves, not to discuss politics... geez, what next, abortion religion and stem cell research?!?!?

I was told in my training that discussing religion and politics was a BIG NO NO - don't be dragged into it. Are they gonna come back again? If so you may have to set some boundaries - like we are chilled out in this salon we only like talking about nails, beauty etc. As for your other clients if they are true to you they will realise that its not you to blame and come back:Love:

POSHEMAN said:
I had two customers visit my business. Obviously they were very middle eastern . Traditional dress etc. they began talking about politics and the current war in Iraq. :zzz: you know the rest. However it really upset my regular clientelle. :Scared: Even to the point of not wanting to return.:evil: the conversation was so upsetting that one of my clients began to argue with them.:rolleyes: Should I deny services to these people ? what about the legal ramifications?:eek:

I don't think you should deny services to them right off, let it be known that there should be no religious or political debates within the shop because people tend to get very heated about such things and if they insist on bringin up such topics then you deny service for the comfort of yourself as well as the rest of your clientele.

I don't think that it's necessarily wrong to discuss politics or religion in a laid back way in a salon - however, if it was clearly upsetting your other clients, in order to keep your clients, you need to put a stop to it.

It could be argued that they were being disrespectful (of course i wasn't there...) to you and to your other clients.

Either way, it's not what you need for your business - if that happens again, i think you should first try to subtly change the subject.

If this doesn't work, then taking them aside and explaining that this is a space for relaxation, not controversy.

Then if they really don't get the message, explain that you will need to exlude them if they do not respect this.

yogacat said:
I don't think that it's necessarily wrong to discuss politics or religion in a laid back way in a salon - however, if it was clearly upsetting your other clients, in order to keep your clients, you need to put a stop to it.

It could be argued that they were being disrespectful (of course i wasn't there...) to you and to your other clients.

Either way, it's not what you need for your business - if that happens again, i think you should first try to subtly change the subject.

If this doesn't work, then taking them aside and explaining that this is a space for relaxation, not controversy.

Then if they really don't get the message, explain that you will need to exlude them if they do not respect this.

Change the subject and if it goes back to this subject then tell them to stop, it won't do your business any good and it's not professional to talk religion/politics etc.

I don't think you should deny the client, as they are likely to claim their right to speak(and if not, they might tell you they come from a country without the right to speak etc).

Second, your salon is also a place where they want to relax and enjoy spending time, and denying them will only give them the feeling of restrictions(and that's no good considerating their probably huge family and all their friends, i.e the big word of mouth). I'm saying that having a racist-label put on your forehead is not the best in the end... And in the end that will be the result if you deny them...

Latest posts

Back