Should I do Training again?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuzieBeautique

Reaction score
Just wanting some thoughts really. I qualified in Level 2 Beauty last year and set up mobile alongside my office job. I had lots of people asking for acrylic nails but there were no courses available on an evening near me. I searched all summer for a college course but nothing. In the end I was recommended to someone who does private run courses with salon certificate. I did this last August and whilst I feel my acrylic nails are good and always get good feed back from clients. My actual training was very poor, really basic and theory work pretty much no existent! Had i have known this before hand, i would never of signed up with the salon. I am now working full time with my mobile business and even though I only have a couple if L&P clients as it's mainly Gelish my clients want, I am wondering if to redo my training this September as I will be able to do a day time course. I originally thought about just doing a conversion course but like I say the course was so basic, I feel like I want to start all over again. Or am I just wasting my money if I re did the whole course again? xx

I think the feedback from your customers will speak for itself. Having said that if you think it will help you progress on other levels ie your confidence with your products etc then you should invest some time and money as this is now your full time income and you need to be at the top of your game in this business.

Good Luck with whatever you decide! X

Having a theory based knowlege is essential. You need to know about the skin and nails in depth to know what damage could be caused. For instance, how the nails is formed etc. You also need to know about the structure of the hand and wrist and the whats safe to do and what isnt. Which chemicals are safe and what arent etc, whats best for the nail and what isnt etc.

I would suggest taking a course to get the knowlege you really need. Plus you will be doing you and your clients a favor. The course will enable you to know more about what your doing and will give you a better insight as to how to do it correctly. This will like i said benifit your client aswell as you.

Good luck in what ever your decide to do. :)

Having a theory based knowlege is essential. You need to know about the skin and nails in depth to know what damage could be caused. For instance, how the nails is formed etc. You also need to know about the structure of the hand and wrist and the whats safe to do and what isnt. Which chemicals are safe and what arent etc, whats best for the nail and what isnt etc.

I would suggest taking a course to get the knowlege you really need. Plus you will be doing you and your clients a favor. The course will enable you to know more about what your doing and will give you a better insight as to how to do it correctly. This will like i said benifit your client aswell as you.

Good luck in what ever your decide to do. :)

Thanks. I do have a lot of knowledge and theory regarding hand and natural nails from my Level 2 course. My college teacher was fantastic and I'm very confident in all my treatments except l&p. I have had to do some much research myself after passing the private course. I think redoing it at college will be the best thing. I have found a course which does just acrylic nails over 18 weeks with NVQ certificate. Rather than having to redo my manicure and pedicure again with the full level 2 nails x

Yeah, thats a good idea. There are quite a few course that do just L&P. Some do L&P and gel too. It all depends on which one you would rather do, however ive noticed alot of people dont like how L&P are on their nails and prefer gel. It might just be this area that has this opinion but thats why im training in both. Might be worth looking into trying both? The courses that apply to both are generally cheaper then doing both courses seperatly. Just a thought

Yeah, thats a good idea. There are quite a few course that do just L&P. Some do L&P and gel too. It all depends on which one you would rather do, however ive noticed alot of people dont like how L&P are on their nails and prefer gel. It might just be this area that has this opinion but thats why im training in both. Might be worth looking into trying both? The courses that apply to both are generally cheaper then doing both courses seperatly. Just a thought

Yeah I thought that but not been able to find one yet. They either do all nails including manicure again or just l&p. To be honest I only have about 5 l&p clients anyway because everyone has Gelish. So that's why I'm in two minds what to do for the best x

What brand are you using? I've recently done a conversion with nail harmony and feel soooo much better about l&p now! Like you, I didn't feel my course was great....I was fine with everything apart from l&p. Maybe a trouble shooting class would be good for you? xx

Thats true. If most of your clients arent L&P then maybe like JulieHawes said, maybe a conversion course would be a good idea. And you never know once you start doing L&P on your clients that are wanting it, and like it. They will recommend you to their friends, and your client base will grow :)

I'm using NSI. I tried out Harmony Fusion about a week ago and it was a disaster. This lady is a regular and had a soak off and new set so tried fusion and all her nails have cracked and are coming off. Having to redo them tomorrow. I've got my name down for the conversion course but was in two minds if to just do my course again first. Then do conversion. Or is that a waste of money doing both xx

Well it all depends on how you feel doing the nails. I dont know what your knowlege is so i cant really advise what would be better for you. If you feel you need more theory knowledge about nails and the 'background info' Then maybe doing your course again would be a good idea. Although if you know all the basics and feel comfortable with that but just want help touching up your technique and getting a little bit more confidence and practice then maybe the conversion course would be best. Think about which will help you benifit your clients more.

You could always to the conversion course first and then if you feel a little bit in over your head then you can do the course again. You might get there and think, wow im glad i didnt waste my money on doing the entire course all over again. Iykwim..?

Latest posts

Back