Should I get a kitten?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopyamylou

Reaction score
Just wondring if anyone knew what it's like if I was to get a kitten as I already have a house rabbitt?? Would they fight?xx

cats generally prey on rabbits, unless they've been together since they were born.

so by the way you are asking this, i wouldn't recommend it. getting a cat is a big deal. they can live over 15 years. mine lived 18 years. don't take it lightly. that's how so many end up abandoned and in shelters. the cost of caring for a cat is much larger than it is for a rabbit.

My border collie, rabbit and three cats get along famously! We had the cats first, then the dog, then the rabbit.

None of them like the tortoises :lol: (thus they are never allowed near them without a barrier protecting the torts and supervision - Just in case!)

Darwin the dog will even take Lola rabbit a biscuit on command now and Lola and Benji (cat) cuddle up together in the dog basket (that the dog refuses to use...)

Of course, I may just be blessed with incredibly stupid animals or I could be the next Dr Doolittle :eek: but it IS possible, just introduce them carefully. I'd think it would work better having rabbit first and a young kitten as the bunny will tell kitten off as appropriate...

Whatever you decide, good luck! :hug:

I had a cat for about 13years and then introduced a pole cat and my cat could never be left alone with him just incase. I think my pole cat would of won hands down but my cat was doing the stalking. It helps if you have a kitten that is laid back as my tom was a real protector.

Awwww these stories are so cute :) well I was hoping it would be like a little friend for him..would it matter whether it's a female or male kitten maybe I should try take him over my friends house and see what he's like with there cat? xxx

If you want a friend for your bunny get another bunny, but again you will need to bond them.

Cats and rabbits can get on but you need to constantly supervise them together.

hi, got a new kitten 6 weeks ago, she now sleeps with the dog and the other cat is now used to her (just avoided her at first) but keeping the kitten away from my sons snakes.. but i adore her and she has given us all loads of pleasure, so just go for it and have fun,

Awww sweet :)...Yeah think I will, don't know whether to suprise my boyfriend or wait till hes home lol..I suppose if I introduce the rabbit to it slowly he should be fine...might go for a female!!xxx

Have you thought about getting a guinea pig as a suitable pal for a rabbit?

Don't get me wrong I love cats, I have 2 myself, but not sure if a rabbit/kitten combination will be a happy ending. As a rabbit is food for cats in the wild, it may be a fun time :( Not for the rabbit though.

A word of caution - my friend had a house rabbit and then got cats - 3 to be precise. The poor rabbit got stressed and went bald. He had to be re-homed.

I would advise getting your kitty neutered if you are going to get one. Males particularly will get aggressive if not neutered and girl cats are not pleasant in season.

Thoroughly recommend pet insurance too. Cat's are like £££££ to vets if anything goes wrong - annual jabs, neutering, accidents and mishaps.

Good luck :)

I was thinking about a guinea pig but a friend told me that because iv had the rabbit for over a year it will bully the the guinea pig and attack it!!! Would they be able to live in the smae cage? But he's been the only one!!!xxx

That's an awfull story btw would hate it if my bunny went through that :( xxx

As long as the newcomer is a baby, things will be fine. My persians and the dog are all one big gang, and they make no distinction between feline and canine. All of mine arrived as babies though. (The poor dog used to get held down and washed though and no longer goes near any dirt or puddles because of this)

loopyamylou - I'm so sorry I don't know anything about guinea pigs so couldn't say if what your friend says is right. Sorry!

I had an outdoor rabbit and cats when I was little, but they had absolutely nothing to do with each other!! I just remember someone saying guinea pigs and rabbits go well together. But really don't know!!

Maybe, give a vet a call and ask them for advice.

I'm jealous you're getting a kitten, my old gals are nearly 10 and I desperately want a new cat. But it wouldn't be fair, and I don't have enough room for any more!! :D

Good luck x

Awww bless.. thanks for advice everyone.. Yeah I suppose that's right if it's a baby :) yeah I might give the vet a call actually n just ask him for advice..the dogs from upstairs ran in the other day 2x Staffies eventhough my rabbit was in his cage he was so scared bless him...I just think it would be someone else to play with he so full of energy xxx

perhaps get another rabbit?

I was thinking another rabbit but the one iv got has ruined my flat I have no skirting boards left if I had 2 I don't think I will have a flat left!!!!! He won't let you pick him up he is quite the nuisance bless him got to give him anti biotics atm in a syringe in his mouth and my god it takes me half hour!!!!! xxx

Animals can be really individual!!!

We got a kitten Lucky first, had her a couple of years, so friendly and loved to be petted and held etc!! Then we got a puppy Sheeba - she was tiny when we got her and Lucky wasnt too impressed with the new addition but she put up with her. They just left each other alone!!

Then we got another puppy - Kaiser!! Lucky was so not impressed and started to spend more time in our next door neighbours house!! The two dogs got on great though!!

Then we took in a homeless kitten - Sox!! She's a demon!! Lucky moved two doors down and only visited occasionally. Sox would spit and hiss at the dogs and she rules the roost. Everything is on her terms. She likes to be in the room with you but doesnt like to be held and only wants to be petted when she wants!!

You just never know what personality your pet will have :lol:

Animals can be really individual!!!

We got a kitten Lucky first, had her a couple of years, so friendly and loved to be petted and held etc!! Then we got a puppy Sheeba - she was tiny when we got her and Lucky wasnt too impressed with the new addition but she put up with her. They just left each other alone!!

Then we got another puppy - Kaiser!! Lucky was so not impressed and started to spend more time in our next door neighbours house!! The two dogs got on great though!!

Then we took in a homeless kitten - Sox!! She's a demon!! Lucky moved two doors down and only visited occasionally. Sox would spit and hiss at the dogs and she rules the roost. Everything is on her terms. She likes to be in the room with you but doesnt like to be held and only wants to be petted when she wants!!

You just never know what personality your pet will have :lol:

Awwwww bless I'm not sure what to do really? I really really want a puppy but I'm not allowed!!!lol so im not really sure my boyfriend hates guinea pigs :( and I'm not sure if I can cope with more destruction from another rabbitt so I'm swaying towards a kitten but don't want to upset my rabbit :( xxx

Latest posts

Back