Should I give up?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlytaylor1986

Reaction score
I really don't know what to do. I offer Shellac and spray tans mobile in the evenings and at weekends. I have been doing this now for just over a year. I have a website a yell.com ad, have advertised on lots of different websites, have my own website, have a facebook page and post pictures regularly and I still only have 2 "regular" clients. and when i say regular, they are not every 2 weeks for Shellac it's more like every 2 months! or as and when they want.

I started to do 3 of my friends nails last week and that looked really promosing they were like oh lets get our nails done twice a month and then booked me in for this saturday coming, but only one is now coming as the others are not sure they want them done even though they were really impressed.
I NEVER get any spray tanning clients and am in the process of changing my spray tan again and have a "try me" size bottle which will do about 5/6 spray tans so I dont want to buy the full size yet unless i have bookings! I am really not sure whether to just give up as I haven't had any new interest in about 6 months!
There was a really successful mobile business offering the same as me and they have closed down a few months ago, and i havent even got calls from their regular clients. so i am wondering if i should follow in their footsteps. I am getting fed up of it to be honest, i have a full time job already and do make enough from this.
Nails and tanning was my hobbie but i am also getting fed up of people cancelling last minute (out of my whole 2 clients) or wanting to change their appt time at the last minute. I was thinking of perhaps looking in the local area for a saturday job as i do enjoy doing it and i know in a salon it will be steady money if im not self-employed? What do you think? anyone else in the same situation and apologies for rambling xxx

oh and out of all my equipment i have bought, i dont even think i have broke even yet :( i probably have made about £300 in the past year and spent WAY over that on equipment. x

You could try some non online based marketing, a leaflet drop or putting adverts on local notice boards. Local groups (weight watchers, mums & tots etc) are good places to approach too. Is there a hairdressers locally that doesn't offer any beauty services? You could ask if they'd have some of your leaflets or price lists in the salon in exchange for offering their staff a discount. If the staff like your service they'll recommend you, this works really well with nails as the hair clients will notice them & ask where they get them done x

You could try some non online based marketing, a leaflet drop or putting adverts on local notice boards. Local groups (weight watchers, mums & tots etc) are good places to approach too. Is there a hairdressers locally that doesn't offer any beauty services? You could ask if they'd have some of your leaflets or price lists in the salon in exchange for offering their staff a discount. If the staff like your service they'll recommend you, this works really well with nails as the hair clients will notice them & ask where they get them done x

I have literally tried everything. I have done huge leaflet drops before and completely doesn't work. I didn't even have one call! I've popped into my local hairdressers and they don't want my leaflets either because it makes their reception area look "messy" or they already have leaflets from someone who got there before me! I've tried local colleges etc and adult education centres but they have all said no too. I just find it beyond frustrating and definitely thinking of working on a Saturday in a salon is the best option for me. It will also keep my skills up to date as I currently don't offer every treatment I am trained in. I think I've made my mind up to be honest. Thank you for your reply :) I really do appreciate it. Just having a bit of a bad morning also. xx

I did not want to read and run, especially as I do feel for you lovey, I think most of us have been there over the years. It is a very expensive industry to get involved with. I often wonder if I would have gone ahead if I had known.

The only advice I can give you is to stop buying everything. When I started I bought absolutely everything I imagined I might need, I still have kits and products that have never even been opened yet, machines, spray tan solutions, Gel and Acrylic products you name it I "needed" it.

I think you are being wise not to buy any more solution yet but keep in mind that Spring is here and the wedding season is due to start, there should be more enquiries soon. Some people have found business desperately slow this past winter and others have done really well, it may be due to location might just be too much competition but you are the only one who will be able to decide whether you want to give up or not.

Have you seen Lynne Baker's thread on ways to promote your business? It is long so put aside a few hours and make notes. It will help. It is difficult to stop throwing more money at a failing business but money is not always the answer. I had a website with Yell and to be honest I found it to be a total waste of my hard earned money. They charged a silly figure for "designing" my website and it was only a template which was really basic. But again, some people swear by Yell.com and it has worked well for some businesses.

You can advertise for free with Yell so if you can look around for a different Web design service and hosting. Carl from Verve and Ruth, both on here can help you on this.

I am sorry you are feeling so disillusioned at the moment and I hope things pick up for you soon, have you looked at maybe renting a little space from a local salon for Saturday's, I am not sure which qualifications you have but I know a lot of salon owners like NVQ or equivalent before they offer employment.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you

Don't be too dis heartened ... Keep at it, even if u get a Saturday job in a salon u can still build up on ur mobile too - what about local sch's- prom session is nearly upon us (they usually would take the leaflets and give them to prom committee .. Or local bridal shops. Or on fb buy sell swap pages???? ...

I did not want to read and run, especially as I do feel for you lovey, I think most of us have been there over the years. It is a very expensive industry to get involved with. I often wonder if I would have gone ahead if I had known.

The only advice I can give you is to stop buying everything. When I started I bought absolutely everything I imagined I might need, I still have kits and products that have never even been opened yet, machines, spray tan solutions, Gel and Acrylic products you name it I "needed" it.

I think you are being wise not to buy any more solution yet but keep in mind that Spring is here and the wedding season is due to start, there should be more enquiries soon. Some people have found business desperately slow this past winter and others have done really well, it may be due to location might just be too much competition but you are the only one who will be able to decide whether you want to give up or not.

Have you seen Lynne Baker's thread on ways to promote your business? It is long so put aside a few hours and make notes. It will help. It is difficult to stop throwing more money at a failing business but money is not always the answer. I had a website with Yell and to be honest I found it to be a total waste of my hard earned money. They charged a silly figure for "designing" my website and it was only a template which was really basic. But again, some people swear by Yell.com and it has worked well for some businesses.

You can advertise for free with Yell so if you can look around for a different Web design service and hosting. Carl from Verve and Ruth, both on here can help you on this.

I am sorry you are feeling so disillusioned at the moment and I hope things pick up for you soon, have you looked at maybe renting a little space from a local salon for Saturday's, I am not sure which qualifications you have but I know a lot of salon owners like NVQ or equivalent before they offer employment.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you

Ah thank you so much for your reply. Also, I am not sure that I want to work evenings...I work full time and am completely knackered by the time I get in of an evening. I think just working a saturday will be helpful and help me to build on all my other skills. I have NVQ training to Level 3. I would like to get more practise at my other qualifications too but don't want to offer them mobile as I don't want to carry around a couch. I have had carl design my website/logo/business card/flyer and ruth do my website. I feel like i have exhausted every avenue and still hitting a brick wall! :Scared::grr:

Do you think that where you are feeling so down it is rubbing off on your business? I know its hard to pick yourself up but if you arent feeling it then people can pick up on it! Check where you are posting and how often, facebook once a day everyday, twitter a few times a day, linkedin a few times a week.

How about taking a day off of work and attending a networking group, was the best thing I ever did! I made some fantastic contacts there and also gained some clients.

Advertise on places like netmums once a month, see if there are local selling pages you can pop something on Facebook.

I know what you mean about the evenings, I used to work Full time and then go out in the evenings but I forced myself as I knew it would be the only way to gain a client base and it worked as I only work at my other job part time.

I know you feel down, but try to chin up dont worry about the knock backs and think about what you can do next!!

Big Hugs :hug:

VERY good advice from Nat-Nat, networking groups are fabulous, Lynn's thread has links to a few and there are always local ones, I go to a once a month ladies networking Breakfast at a local Golf Club. You get to stand up in front of everyone and introduce yourself and your business etc.

If you are looking for employment, why not approach local Spa's, Holiday Parks that offer Spa Packages ( Centerparcs for instance) Country clubs and Golf clubs, Fancy Hotels etc. I have heard from a few girls now that working in a Spa Environment is great for building up experience as there is no big rush and no high walk in turnover. Also what an environment to go to work in.

didnt want to read and run! Really feel for you hun but have to agree with tanfastic and dont buy anymore stuff until you are using and getting more clients. Maybe even think about selling some of what you bought and are not using. I had a huge clearout in january and sold hundreds of pounds worth of stuff i had hidden in cupboards! then i spent it on what i wanted and needed for my business.

I dont know what to say as you say you have tried everything. Sometimes you just have to keep knocking at doors and eventually someone answers so to speak. Keep getting your name out there.

Having said that it sounds like you have made your mind up and want to go into a salon. It will be a good experience and learning curve if you have never done it before but it may also motivate you to try on your own again!

good luck x

didnt want to read and run! Really feel for you hun but have to agree with tanfastic and dont buy anymore stuff until you are using and getting more clients. Maybe even think about selling some of what you bought and are not using. I had a huge clearout in january and sold hundreds of pounds worth of stuff i had hidden in cupboards! then i spent it on what i wanted and needed for my business.

I dont know what to say as you say you have tried everything. Sometimes you just have to keep knocking at doors and eventually someone answers so to speak. Keep getting your name out there.

Having said that it sounds like you have made your mind up and want to go into a salon. It will be a good experience and learning curve if you have never done it before but it may also motivate you to try on your own again!

good luck x

Thank you :) I just feel like I have tried everything and getting nowhere. I am really disheartened about two of my friends not wanting their nails done this saturday as they always get their nails done in another salon but then started to use me and I assume they've gone elsewhere. I have worked in a salon before and loved it but unfortunately didn't pay enough. I am just applying to various salons around to see what they have to say. Obviously the money would be a bonus but I just want to work somewhere so my skills are kept up to date xx

Sorry to be playing Devils Advocate here but it sounds to me like you are ready to give up. It might not be a bad thing so don''t take it the wrong way. Nat-Nat touched on a point that I feel might be at the root of your problems at the moment. You are feeling down and it may be rubbing off on your business and the way you are dealing with clients and potential clients. None of us would choose to spend time with a negative person.

Have you been a bit down while seeing your regulars? I know when I am " on one" I can be very snippy and impatient and EVERYTHING is a chore. Someone changes their mind and I have to stop myself from rolling the eyes and sighing... you get the picture. LOL

If you are trying to market your business or sell yourself and your skills a negative attitiude is a big no no, so as a caring fellow Geek who is worried about you I would suggest that you take a break, a total break for a few weeks. Enjoy Easter, if any friends or family want a treat you can do their nails either as a favor or at a price that reflects that it is a gift. The reason for this is that we all love doing our own nails and friends nails when we are young, we love doing girly things and this is what has given us the love of the job, it seems that you may have lost that love and hopefully putting money and pressure to the back of your mind will re-kindle that love. After a little break re-evaluate, re-do your CV, make a up a fabulous portfolio and go job hunting.

I am sure you will get through this and eventually be self employed again, you just need to get that confidence back, the love of the job and yes you need to love your clients too even if they mess you about.

Sorry to be playing Devils Advocate here but it sounds to me like you are ready to give up. It might not be a bad thing so don''t take it the wrong way. Nat-Nat touched on a point that I feel might be at the root of your problems at the moment. You are feeling down and it may be rubbing off on your business and the way you are dealing with clients and potential clients. None of us would choose to spend time with a negative person.

Have you been a bit down while seeing your regulars? I know when I am " on one" I can be very snippy and impatient and EVERYTHING is a chore. Someone changes their mind and I have to stop myself from rolling the eyes and sighing... you get the picture. LOL

If you are trying to market your business or sell yourself and your skills a negative attitiude is a big no no, so as a caring fellow Geek who is worried about you I would suggest that you take a break, a total break for a few weeks. Enjoy Easter, if any friends or family want a treat you can do their nails either as a favor or at a price that reflects that it is a gift. The reason for this is that we all love doing our own nails and friends nails when we are young, we love doing girly things and this is what has given us the love of the job, it seems that you may have lost that love and hopefully putting money and pressure to the back of your mind will re-kindle that love. After a little break re-evaluate, re-do your CV, make a up a fabulous portfolio and go job hunting.

I am sure you will get through this and eventually be self employed again, you just need to get that confidence back, the love of the job and yes you need to love your clients too even if they mess you about.

I don't feel that I am snappy around my "regular" clients. I always accept new bookings (although they are rare) and am really friendly when I go around there, to hopefully gain more clientelle and am really flexible with regards to their time of booking. I don't feel that I am negative and I'm rarely in a bad mood. I also offer loyalty schemes, but this doesnt seem to keep clients. I think my problem is people are offering it a lot cheaper elsewhere. There's a salon up the road that offer Shellac for £15 and currently have a promotional offer at £10 off...how they make any money is beyond me. And people are choosing to go there.

It's really hard work and as I work hard enough during the week, I think that's what is getting to me. Like I say, I don't really have that many clients to be negative around and when I do go there, I am happy and chat to them and don't get the hump if they want something different as I am glad that I have their clientelle. As I've said before, I feel that none of my hard work in advertising, painting different designs and posting them on facebook, doing research of the local area etc etc is actually paying off!

As you said, I think I have made up my mind. I am going to sort my CV out this weekend and go from there. My salary is enough to pay the bills in my office job but just loving doing beauty and I don't feel it's worth the money doing it privately as there's just so much to pay out for. Thanks for all your replies ladies :) really do appreciate it! xxx

Glad to hear you havent turned into the nail b*tch from hell then. Ha Ha. Good luck love, I am sure you will be doing great in no time

I do feel for you, it's very tough out there. I also think when you already work full time it's harder to be flexible. After 5 years in business my days still aren't full and I still have to be very flexible with clients particularly new ones. I agree that I think you need to take a break from it, read magazines and reignite your passion for beauty and nails. Maybe look for a hair salon that can offer you a daily rate with a ready made client base, you only need a small space in the window and then you can advertise your mobile tans as you do their nails. Good luck xxx

Good luck and let us know how you get on! :)

I will do. Thanks again for all your replies. I am just going to see what's out there :) xx

Hi, didn't want to read and run either so here goes:
I won't flower it up, this industry is expensive and hard and I think it's all or nothing. I think any person that does it part time will be lucky to build a good business out of it unless u are in a thriving area with no competition. If u do it full time then the set up and training is expensive then u gotta attract clients to earn money back and that takes time.
Ive been through all the threads on here and I'm in a similar place to u, I've done every bit of advertising suggested and still naff all, people just don't want these treatments and its not that I'm not good at what I do but when a local salon offers shellac for £13 or " individual lash extensions" for £20 how can I compete.
Sorry to sound negative but that's how it is, so only you know what you want to do. Business will pick up towards the summer so maybe sit it out till the autumn and then make up your mind.
Hope that helps c

Hi, didn't want to read and run either so here goes:
I won't flower it up, this industry is expensive and hard and I think it's all or nothing. I think any person that does it part time will be lucky to build a good business out of it unless u are in a thriving area with no competition. If u do it full time then the set up and training is expensive then u gotta attract clients to earn money back and that takes time.
Ive been through all the threads on here and I'm in a similar place to u, I've done every bit of advertising suggested and still naff all, people just don't want these treatments and its not that I'm not good at what I do but when a local salon offers shellac for £13 or " individual lash extensions" for £20 how can I compete.
Sorry to sound negative but that's how it is, so only you know what you want to do. Business will pick up towards the summer so maybe sit it out till the autumn and then make up your mind.
Hope that helps c

Ahhh thank you. It's just so frustrating isn't it!? really irritates me and does make me wonder how these salons ever make any profit and how they are keeping their heads above water!?

I currently just do spray tans and will shortly be doing brows, I have found word of mouth to be the best advertising. I did a girl who literally knows everyone and I have had quite a few people from her. I have given a few half price tans to people who work in big offices as long as they spread the word! Also could you do a loyalty scheme I do buy 5 get 6th half price. I think most people will just have tans done for special occasions so you have to constantly try and attract new people. I'm really quiet at the minute in fact I've only got 3 tans booked all week but i'm just putting it down to the time of year! Prom and wedding season are coming up so today I've started looking for local prom and wedding pages 'liking' them and also commenting to get myself noticed. You could see if any local hairdressers on FB would like to team up with you so you can recommend each other? (sorry if these have already been suggested I've only scrimmed through the other posts).

Gem x

Latest posts

Back