Should I give up?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah thank you for your support on this thread! I am trying to promote as hard as I can...I can't seem to get anymore likes on fb at the moment though, apart from friends. I've only got about 14 likes. I really hope I do start reaping some rewards soon. I have one of my regulars to do tomorrow evening so I am going to tell her that she can have a free set if she has more than 4 people attending a shellac party (including her) hopefully that may drum up some more business xx

What's ur fb?

I've shared your page to try helping you out, update your pics all the time, do a fb comp or something, try getting people to spread the word as much as possible x

Ah thank you so much :-* xx

Ah thank you so much :-* xx

I know one of my friends tagged one of her friends so fingers crossed Hun x do you have a personal profile too? Check my page, anything I put on my business profile I share on my profile as it gets me more views xx

Having just read this post I feel your pain. Some brilliant advice has been given but I will as ever, just give my two pennith worth!!!:wink2:

The advice youve been given on social media is invaluable so Im not going to bore you by repeating it lol

Another geek has touched upon it already but really, word of mouth is a brilliant cost effective tool.

Firstly, have a think about the clients youd like to attract, who are they (students, women under 30, young mums......) You need to have an idea who your target audience is....... or at least who youd like it to be

Then once youve got this in mind, think about where that target is going to be .......(ie Students will be in Student Union bars, local pubs, on campus etc) once youve got this in mind it makes marketing all a bit easier

Rather than running down the high street shouting "Spray Tans 1/2 price today @mybusiness" and hoping someone will hear and that someone might just want a tan.......you'll be hitting the target audience, in all the right places and because you know your target audience you'll be able to think of appropriate offers for them.

In addition to this sometimes its worth doing a few what I call, high profile freebies as a marketing tool
By high profile I mean people that know lots of other people in your target audience, in the example of students, perhaps tan a girl that works behind the bar, or who runs social groups, the thing to remember is "women talk" and "results talk" a woman saying "I got a great spray tan a few weeks ago I recommend the company highly" well thats brilliant but a woman looking gorgeously sunkissed, non orangey and streak free saying "omg I got this amazing spray tan and it was only £x!!"
thats pretty much going to set off a chain reaction of other girls with their mobiles out going, who did that, whats her number, I want one!!!

It works for sure I know this because I used to have 1 regular girl when I first qualified in tanning (back in 2006 lol) and she came for 3 consecutive weeks, she was my estate agent and she loved my tan and so booked on the spot, on her third appt I got a text asking if she could bring 2 of her work mates as they loved her tan and wanted one, then before I knew it every friday I had 4 of the estate agent girls, and 3 of their friends every friday......then they started booking for waxing, nails etc and as they went out to peoples homes daily and being friendly was a part of the job they gave my business cards out all the time and generated me loads of business!!! It was so worth it, that first girl who booked I did her spray tan for £12 as I was so new, cut price but turned out it was invaluable!!!

Hope this helps, my advice is that youve come this far so hang on in there maybe take a wee break over easter and come back with a clear fresh head on and market effectively!!!

xx

Having just read this post I feel your pain. Some brilliant advice has been given but I will as ever, just give my two pennith worth!!!:wink2:

The advice youve been given on social media is invaluable so Im not going to bore you by repeating it lol

Another geek has touched upon it already but really, word of mouth is a brilliant cost effective tool.

Firstly, have a think about the clients youd like to attract, who are they (students, women under 30, young mums......) You need to have an idea who your target audience is....... or at least who youd like it to be

Then once youve got this in mind, think about where that target is going to be .......(ie Students will be in Student Union bars, local pubs, on campus etc) once youve got this in mind it makes marketing all a bit easier

Rather than running down the high street shouting "Spray Tans 1/2 price today @mybusiness" and hoping someone will hear and that someone might just want a tan.......you'll be hitting the target audience, in all the right places and because you know your target audience you'll be able to think of appropriate offers for them.

In addition to this sometimes its worth doing a few what I call, high profile freebies as a marketing tool
By high profile I mean people that know lots of other people in your target audience, in the example of students, perhaps tan a girl that works behind the bar, or who runs social groups, the thing to remember is "women talk" and "results talk" a woman saying "I got a great spray tan a few weeks ago I recommend the company highly" well thats brilliant but a woman looking gorgeously sunkissed, non orangey and streak free saying "omg I got this amazing spray tan and it was only £x!!"
thats pretty much going to set off a chain reaction of other girls with their mobiles out going, who did that, whats her number, I want one!!!

It works for sure I know this because I used to have 1 regular girl when I first qualified in tanning (back in 2006 lol) and she came for 3 consecutive weeks, she was my estate agent and she loved my tan and so booked on the spot, on her third appt I got a text asking if she could bring 2 of her work mates as they loved her tan and wanted one, then before I knew it every friday I had 4 of the estate agent girls, and 3 of their friends every friday......then they started booking for waxing, nails etc and as they went out to peoples homes daily and being friendly was a part of the job they gave my business cards out all the time and generated me loads of business!!! It was so worth it, that first girl who booked I did her spray tan for £12 as I was so new, cut price but turned out it was invaluable!!!

Hope this helps, my advice is that youve come this far so hang on in there maybe take a wee break over easter and come back with a clear fresh head on and market effectively!!!

xx

Excellent marketing advise here Hun, over Easter work out who you lady is, what she wears, looks like, where she goes, where she works, way she dresses, even name her, so this target person becomes real then everything you think of doing think would 'Samantha' like this.... Would she buy this, would she tell her friends etc etc etc

xx

What brilliant advice...thank you! I am going to take a break over Easter and then decide what to do. I am doing one of my regulars tonight, seems strange that I have had a few to do this month but like I said a few are my friends who come as and when they please and have nails done for £10 in NSS salons instead of coming to me...but I can't tell them what to do. They go where the offers are.

in regards to NiCshairstudio...yes I do have a personal page and share everything on there too :) xxx

Right now I feel like giving up! I'm struggling getting to grips with nails I really am but I practice whenever I can but to hear my family member is saying there crap and not going to last behind my back and her partner saying don't go to her then really has knocked my confidence soo much! Yes I have not done 1 full set of nails that have ALL lasted over a week but I am trying to improve it :(
Just feel like I'm wasting all my money on nail stuff because this is all I'm spending my wages on as my clients are family and saying there not paying until they last but I can't say well I'm not doing them because I need to practice and specially on people to see if they last etc :( feel soooo down now! X

Right now I feel like giving up! I'm struggling getting to grips with nails I really am but I practice whenever I can but to hear my family member is saying there crap and not going to last behind my back and her partner saying don't go to her then really has knocked my confidence soo much! Yes I have not done 1 full set of nails that have ALL lasted over a week but I am trying to improve it :(
Just feel like I'm wasting all my money on nail stuff because this is all I'm spending my wages on as my clients are family and saying there not paying until they last but I can't say well I'm not doing them because I need to practice and specially on people to see if they last etc :( feel soooo down now! X

Do them at cost, what prods are you using? Do you know what's happening ? Is it they are not looking after them? Using oils? Or hand creams not meant to be used around false nails? In water all the time? Rough? Eliminate everything, but coat cost, as where else will they be able to pay less?

Do them at cost, what prods are you using? Do you know what's happening ? Is it they are not looking after them? Using oils? Or hand creams not meant to be used around false nails? In water all the time? Rough? Eliminate everything, but coat cost, as where else will they be able to pay less?

I say I need money for products but they just go yehhhhh one person will go warehouse and buy what I need to pay for their nails which isn't too bad but Im still using alot myself, I'm
Using everything NSI. Well they lift, and last few nails that have came off have all came off in one so not just gel or tip it's all in one :/ xx

I say I need money for products but they just go yehhhhh one person will go warehouse and buy what I need to pay for their nails which isn't too bad but Im still using alot myself, I'm
Using everything NSI. Well they lift, and last few nails that have came off have all came off in one so not just gel or tip it's all in one :/ xx

Maybe try a diff range? Are you prepping correctly? Not getting any on the skin etc?

Thing is I don't want to change the range just yet as I've spent how much on this range and not got alot back to change the range.... My prep is cuticle work, dehydrate, primer and apply tip, am I missing something out? X

Thing is I don't want to change the range just yet as I've spent how much on this range and not got alot back to change the range.... My prep is cuticle work, dehydrate, primer and apply tip, am I missing something out? X

Do you lightly file the nail to create a rough surface ? Maybe its just the glue you are using? I'd start a thread (as I'm mainly hair) asking about the range you use, exactly what you do and if someone can give hints and tips, and I know its annoying when you have spent the money, but if its the range and not you, it's more damaging to your business keeping it than not :( if you get me, but I totally understand xx

Do you lightly file the nail to create a rough surface ? Maybe its just the glue you are using? I'd start a thread (as I'm mainly hair) asking about the range you use, exactly what you do and if someone can give hints and tips, and I know its annoying when you have spent the money, but if its the range and not you, it's more damaging to your business keeping it than not :( if you get me, but I totally understand xx

Yeh I do lightly file the nail plate but
I've read on here you don't need to, so confuseddddd! Thanks for your help anyway ill see if someone can help xx

I've shared your page to try helping you out, update your pics all the time, do a fb comp or something, try getting people to spread the word as much as possible x

So have i. Good luck xx

Yeh I do lightly file the nail plate but
I've read on here you don't need to, so confuseddddd! Thanks for your help anyway ill see if someone can help xx

I used to use NSI you need the green boomerang file 240/240 grit to buff the nail plate - make it really rough before applying the tip, the pink one is to shape the acrylic. Also you need to make sure the ratio for liquid to powder is good, dont make it too wet! do you use their nail dehydrator before applying the tip? also you need to use their nail primer before you apply the liquid & powder. to help you blend in the tips quicker you can use their product "line out", but its not fantastic but helps if after blending and blending you can still see it, do you use NSI tips or another brand, i found NSI tips were brilliant, and do you use NSI glue? NSI is a high-end brand so it really couldnt be that i dont think. you also use the 240/240 grit to blend in the tip, make sure you are sizing the tip properly and not pinching the clients nails with a tip that is too small.

Also, i have completely given up offering mobile nails and tans, i just wasnt getting the business and in the end was getting so fed up and it was making me unhappy. sorry to the girls that have shared my fb page and that but i have applied for it to be cancelled and it should be in about 2 weeks. thank you so much for all your support on here, i really do appreciate it xxx

I have the most amazing motivational CD that talks about quitting. Here is a couple of lines from it:

The guy talking is upset because a client just cancelled on him last minute, he says:

I was mad at the situation and that I was trying so hard to make this thing work and it wasn't going as fast as I wanted it to go. And it wasn't even moving as fast as I thought I hard earned it to go! I felt like I should be further ahead in my business at this point.

We have all felt like quitting, multiple times. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the business, there isn't. You will be tempted to quit every good thing you ever do in your life. Quitting is a natural temptation in all great endevours. The chief skill to success is learning how not to cave into it. If you do quit there is someone out there who will be happy you quit. Stick around and make life more difficult for them!

The CD is amazing and it has certainly given me some encouragement and stopped me from quitting several times. It is geared around the business that the speaker is in but you could certainly apply it to any business or endevour. Unfortuanetly it is not available on general release and I tried to you tube it but it's not on there. If you would like to listen to it PM me and I might be able to send an audio file to you (this was aimed at the OP), it is also very humorous in places and gives great perspective!

I have the most amazing motivational CD that talks about quitting. Here is a couple of lines from it:

The guy talking is upset because a client just cancelled on him last minute, he says:

I was mad at the situation and that I was trying so hard to make this thing work and it wasn't going as fast as I wanted it to go. And it wasn't even moving as fast as I thought I hard earned it to go! I felt like I should be further ahead in my business at this point.

We have all felt like quitting, multiple times. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the business, there isn't. You will be tempted to quit every good thing you ever do in your life. Quitting is a natural temptation in all great endevours. The chief skill to success is learning how not to cave into it. If you do quit there is someone out there who will be happy you quit. Stick around and make life more difficult for them!

The CD is amazing and it has certainly given me some encouragement and stopped me from quitting several times. It is geared around the business that the speaker is in but you could certainly apply it to any business or endevour. Unfortuanetly it is not available on general release and I tried to you tube it but it's not on there. If you would like to listen to it PM me and I might be able to send an audio file to you (this was aimed at the OP), it is also very humorous in places and gives great perspective!

Thank you for your message. I have already quit though, I feel it's the best thing for me at this moment in my life. I may go back into it, but at least if I do then I know what to expect. I just have so many other things going on, I can't give my business the time, patience and hard work it needs. Hopefully one day I will be very successfull offering my services, but for the time being, I am happy in my day-job and still do family and friends nails so I am not completely missing out, or letting my qualifications/practice slip. xxx

I really don't know what to do. I offer Shellac and spray tans mobile in the evenings and at weekends. I have been doing this now for just over a year. I have a website a yell.com ad, have advertised on lots of different websites, have my own website, have a facebook page and post pictures regularly and I still only have 2 "regular" clients. and when i say regular, they are not every 2 weeks for Shellac it's more like every 2 months! or as and when they want.

I started to do 3 of my friends nails last week and that looked really promosing they were like oh lets get our nails done twice a month and then booked me in for this saturday coming, but only one is now coming as the others are not sure they want them done even though they were really impressed.
I NEVER get any spray tanning clients and am in the process of changing my spray tan again and have a "try me" size bottle which will do about 5/6 spray tans so I dont want to buy the full size yet unless i have bookings! I am really not sure whether to just give up as I haven't had any new interest in about 6 months!
There was a really successful mobile business offering the same as me and they have closed down a few months ago, and i havent even got calls from their regular clients. so i am wondering if i should follow in their footsteps. I am getting fed up of it to be honest, i have a full time job already and do make enough from this.
Nails and tanning was my hobbie but i am also getting fed up of people cancelling last minute (out of my whole 2 clients) or wanting to change their appt time at the last minute. I was thinking of perhaps looking in the local area for a saturday job as i do enjoy doing it and i know in a salon it will be steady money if im not self-employed? What do you think? anyone else in the same situation and apologies for rambling xxx
Magnetic signs on your car work well. It depends on the area you work too :( Times are hard x

Latest posts

Back