Should I go ahead with it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guinner

Reaction score
Hey I'd like to start of by saying, I'm 13 and I'm a male.
My big dilemma is, my Mum said that I should take up 'nailing'. She's a professional herself and it sounds really exciting and it will help my future profession heaps.(Surgeon) as it would give me a steady hand. It would also help pay for University and a lot of other needs.

She says she would train me, but I am worried what my friends would think and who would want me doing their nails.(as I don't plan to do it when I'm older, but just as a job when I'm young.)

So my question is, what do I choose, a interesting time which would earn myself some money and make my Mum happy, whilst ignoring my friends verdicts,or do I say to my mum I don't want to do it and save myself possible embarrassment and other bad social loses?

I'm not asking for you guys and girls to make the decision for me I'm just wondering if you could give me all the pros and cons and how much I could earn per job.(Australian Money.)

Sorry if I droned on,(I put it here also, because I didn't know which forum it should go in.)
Guinner

In England you are only allowed to work under the age of sixteen at jobs approved by local authority by-laws. I am not sure if this would be approved in Australia either, as in order to train you would need to take a lot of time off school. If I were you would think of another job that can earn you some quick cash, especially as it takes a lot of money as well as time to train plus then add on equipment and insurance costs. If your mum is a professional she should know this.

Concentrate on school and get a part time job that is not so skilled and serious. Being a nail tech is not an easy way to make a living and is a vocation not something to do to earn cash for uni! :hug:

Hiya ... IMO doing nails is something you have to love....or at least like doing. If you have no interest in nails then i don't think its worth pursuing. Your so young and there are heaps of things you could be doing that you would enjoy doing and wouldn't have to worry about your mates....if you do have an interest in nails then your mates views are not important....if they are real mates they will support you.

You have to chose something that makes YOU happy...no-one else.

Hi there

Angie's right, you should be in it because you have a passion for it, not just for a quick buck. There are nail techs who deliberately chose that path because they think it a) looks easy and b) its a good little earner.

Well as your mum will probably tell you, creating beautiful, flattering enhancements that stay on week in week out, don't lift and perpetuating that Forever French look is most definitely NOT easy. Anyone doing a skilled job tends to make it look easy . . . that's as a result of their skill.

And if you are working on the paying public then you should have proper training (I'm not saying your mum's not a good nail tech, but unless she is a qualified trainer she shouldn't be training you, and she won't be able to give you the necessary certification for you to obtain insurance which is a must if you are working on the public)

I think you should follow your heart and IF you are already passionate about nails then maybe go for it, get properly trained and insured and make go of it BUT reading between the lines I don't think this is where your heart is, I think you're thinking of it as a way purely to make money and maybe if mum is persistant, to keep her happy too. And yes, I do think your friends are going to take the mick. (However much they love ya!)

As for how much per job, bear in mind that you will only get repeat business if you are any good, and maintenance is what most good nail techs do most of anyway. New sets are occasional.

If your mum is a professional nail tech then who better to ask about what you could earn? She will have a much better idea than us, as it does vary from area to area anyway.

Whatever you decide, have fun and make the most of being young. :hug:

I agree with the others only do nails if you have a passion for it.

I agree with the others you could get a saturday job that would be a lot easier as nails would require a lot of concentration which wouldnt be easy to juggle with your school work too!!I wish I was as sure of my future at your age!:lol: I didnt even know what uni was at 13 :eek:!! good luck :hug:

Latest posts

Back