Should I have given her money back

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kezzzziiii

Reaction score
i did a client today who I used to work with, she has mid length blonde hair with red slices in, she knows about hair and colours as her mum used to teach it, she told me the colours to get matrix red/violet and red mixed half and half, she told me Ronnie half and half, I put the first foil in and I said I thought it looked to red, I said should I test this to see how it comes out and she said no.. I picked up all the old red and re did it, I started to rinse the foils one by one so they don't run, and she said I should take them all out as they won't run.
We were left with really red streaks and some of the blonde had gone a pink.
She freaked and I used a bleach bath on the blonde to get it out and she freaked again, she rang her mum and she said it was because I hadn't rinsed it all out before I put the shampoo on, and to use 50/50 shampoo and 30 vol on wet shampooed hair, it took the the pink out a bit but it turned the red a more pinky red, I offered her her money back and she had it off me, it cost me £15 for the colours. Where did I go wrong

Unfortunately you made the mistake of having a client tell you how to do your job.
I'd have told her from the start that if she's choosing the colours and telling me how she wants it applied etc then she has to take full responsibility for the end results. X

It can be hard but you are the professional and shouldn't let the client dictate x

Are you actually qualified because quite honestly, it reads like two teenagers playing at doing hair in their mum's bathroom. (Sorry to be so blunt)

Why would you listen to someone else's mum who wasn't even there?
Shampoo and 30 vol? Good grief!!
What did you think it would do?

If you genuinely don't know why it went so badly wrong, you need to book yourself on a refresher colour course (before someone else decides to sue you).

Hopefully, this will be a lesson learned for the future. Former hairdressers or partially trained hairdressers are the worst clients for trying to tell you what to do. You have to be firm.

Last edited:
Unfortunately you made the mistake of having a client tell you how to do your job.

Totally Agree

I'd have told her from the start that if she's choosing the colours and telling me how she wants it applied etc then she has to take full responsibility for the end results. X

I understand the point you're making but as the qualified professional you'd be 100% legally liable if that client didn't like the results and decided to sue you. It's no different to asking someone to sign a disclaimer.

Are you actually qualified because quite honestly, it reads like two teenagers playing at doing hair in their mum's bathroom. (Sorry to be so blunt)

Why would you listen to someone else's mum who wasn't even there?
Shampoo and 30 vol? Good grief!!
What did you think it would do?

If you genuinely don't know why it went so badly wrong, you need to book yourself on a refresher colour course (before someone else decides to sue you).

Hopefully, this will be a lesson learned for the future. Former hairdressers or partially trained hairdressers are the worst clients for trying to tell you what to do. You have to be firm.
I'm on my level 3 and the college I go to has been a complete waste of time, this year we have learnt nothing and it cost 3.500. I know I don't know as much as I should, I'm on the course until June.
I have put on here for help where I went wrong, I know I shouldn't have listened to her, it was only because I have known her a long time and she has always made out how much she knows. I didn't want to do the 30vol and shampoo because that would pull the red out to pink which it did. I want to know if the reason why the blonde went to pink was because I didn't wash it out enough. Because I washed it well, and it's red, it would always run out.

Totally Agree

I understand the point you're making but as the qualified professional you'd be 100% legally liable if that client didn't like the results and decided to sue you. It's no different to asking someone to sign a disclaimer.
I wouldn't normally let someone tell me what colours to have or what to do, it's only because she knows the colours, I wouldn't have listened to anyone else's mum, it was because she said her mum was a top hairdresser and she was a teacher at college, (I know why didn't she get her do it) and she has since messaged me when she got home to say she now likes the colour.

i did a client today who I used to work with, she has mid length blonde hair with red slices in, she knows about hair and colours as her mum used to teach it, she told me the colours to get matrix red/violet and red mixed half and half, she told me Ronnie half and half, I put the first foil in and I said I thought it looked to red, I said should I test this to see how it comes out and she said no.. I picked up all the old red and re did it, I started to rinse the foils one by one so they don't run, and she said I should take them all out as they won't run.
We were left with really red streaks and some of the blonde had gone a pink.
She freaked and I used a bleach bath on the blonde to get it out and she freaked again, she rang her mum and she said it was because I hadn't rinsed it all out before I put the shampoo on, and to use 50/50 shampoo and 30 vol on wet shampooed hair, it took the the pink out a bit but it turned the red a more pinky red, I offered her her money back and she had it off me, it cost me £15 for the colours. Where did I go wrong
I only used the. Leach bath on the slightly pink area, not he red!

I'm on my level 3 and the college I go to has been a complete waste of time, this year we have learnt nothing and it cost 3.500. I know I don't know as much as I should, I'm on the course until June.

What have you been doing at college? If the other students feel the same way, why don't you complain to the head of department?

What have you been doing at college? If the other students feel the same way, why don't you complain to the head of department?
There is only 5 of us and the others are 18 and they have to be there to make the hours for school, so they won't complain. I am the only paying one.
They've had no teachers as they have left. Last year we had 2 full folders of theory, this year none. All we do is clients in lesson and it's usually foils, or roots.
I have asked the college for the complaints procedure and they said I've got to speak to a certain lady face to face. So I will when I go back in

That does sound pretty awful and that they're trying to fob you off. You should be able to find their complaints procedure online. If they're not supplying the course as advertised, you could sue them for breach of contract. In reality, if you have a good case, most colleges cave in at the last minute before it gets to court and refund your fees in full.
Is the course accredited by VTCT or City & Guilds?

In the meantime, you might find the following website useful.

https://www.mhdacademy.com/

There is only 5 of us and the others are 18 and they have to be there to make the hours for school, so they won't complain. I am the only paying one.
They've had no teachers as they have left. Last year we had 2 full folders of theory, this year none. All we do is clients in lesson and it's usually foils, or roots.
I have asked the college for the complaints procedure and they said I've got to speak to a certain lady face to face. So I will when I go back in
They told us we would learn so
That does sound pretty awful and that they're trying to fob you off. You should be able to find their complaints procedure online. If they're not supplying the course as advertised, you could sue them for breach of contract. In reality, if you have a good case, most colleges cave in at the last minute before it gets to court and refund your fees in full.

have a letter that says it was a diploma course, but I have been told my the receoptionist at the college that it's a course below a nvq, which no one knew. It's city and guilds. I had to get a student loan as well,
I followed the leek college complaints online and I sent them my complaint, they said because it's not a higher education that I have got to complain into the college. It's such a joke.. and I'm very stuck, at the moment. Thanks for your help

And also they are not doing a hair course next year at the college I go

Are you a member of the Student Union?
Work through the internal complaints process and then contact your local Citizens Advice and see if you can get some help to draft a formal letter of complaint.

You need to get your fees refunded so that you can afford to complete your training elsewhere.

Are you a member of the Student Union?
Work through the internal complaints process and then contact your local Citizens Advice and see if you can get some help to draft a formal letter of complaint.

You need to get your fees refunded so that you can afford to complete your training elsewhere.
No im not in a union, I don't know to much about them. I'm going to write everything that has happened down and meet with them. They are only bothered about us passing and not about learning, the teacher even gave the answers to 1 girl on the exams because she kept failing. I just think it's scary how people can be let out fully qualified when we don't know enough. It's made me want to quit it all and go back to my normal job.

No im not in a union, I don't know to much about them. I'm going to write everything that has happened down and meet with them. They are only bothered about us passing and not about learning, the teacher even gave the answers to 1 girl on the exams because she kept failing. I just think it's scary how people can be let out fully qualified when we don't know enough. It's made me want to quit it all and go back to my normal job.
are you doing an apprenticeship? even if it was NVQ, full time college will not teach you the skills needed to be a proper stylist, having done training and completing the last bit next year, I can say confidently, college will not teach you much. I learnt nothing... i repeat, nothing from college. everything i learnt at college- i had to be corrected on in salon I now colour confidantly and im working on cuts. I went to a renound college in hants known for its high status among training hairdressers... yet my teacher could not answer my question to what a co wash/condtioning cleanser was... my head of department tutor is a hairdresser who has had 2 years salon floor and ive head from my employer, in her entire 26 years of being a full time stylist, shes never has a graduate stylist be able to do a colour(inc consultation) and cut to a reasonable standard. In future, do what you think is best. No matter the outcome, you are always liable. you should have done what you thought was best. If her mum was so good, she would have done it herself.

And also they are not doing a hair course next year at the college I go
are you doing an apprenticeship? even if it was NVQ, full time college will not teach you the skills needed to be a proper stylist, having done training and completing the last bit next year, I can say confidently, college will not teach you much. I learnt nothing... i repeat, nothing from college. everything i learnt at college- i had to be corrected on in salon I now colour confidantly and im working on cuts. I went to a renound college in hants known for its high status among training hairdressers... yet my teacher could not answer my question to what a co wash/condtioning cleanser was... my head of department tutor is a hairdresser who has had 2 years salon floor and ive head from my employer, in her entire 26 years of being a full time stylist, shes never has a graduate stylist be able to do a colour(inc consultation) and cut to a reasonable standard. In future, do what you think is best. No matter the outcome, you are always liable. you should have done what you thought was best. If her mum was so good, she would have done it herself.
god that sounds bad as well., 2 years experience, how can she even teach you, our teacher we have hasn't ever worked with wella which we use.
I have been going to a salon once a week for free, but I don't really learn much, they are so busy they don't have time to show me.
We may as well done the course online and helped out in a hairdressers, I can't do a apprentice as I can't do full time at the moment as I can't afford child care.
I think I'm best getting more dolls heads and practicing at home from online videos. Do you know if the reason the red ran into the blonde was because I put the shampoo on to soon, I've googled it and I can't find a answer, I know you run the colour out until it's clear, but it is red

god that sounds bad as well., 2 years experience, how can she even teach you, our teacher we have hasn't ever worked with wella which we use.
I have been going to a salon once a week for free, but I don't really learn much, they are so busy they don't have time to show me.
We may as well done the course online and helped out in a hairdressers, I can't do a apprentice as I can't do full time at the moment as I can't afford child care.
I think I'm best getting more dolls heads and practicing at home from online videos. Do you know if the reason the red ran into the blonde was because I put the shampoo on to soon, I've googled it and I can't find a answer, I know you run the colour out until it's clear, but it is red
It's difficult to do blonde with any warm colours- you should've stuck with your instincts and taken them out one by one, rinsing each one- as I was not there, it's difficult to say. I find Demi/quasai colours are much much better for these sorts of things, and the best thing ever do prevent colour bleeding is rinsing with FREEZING water until the water is as clear as you think it will go. Wella is an amazing company, with a huge selection of colours, I think wella is very good personally, but goldwell would be easier to use if you're starting out, just be careful with ash colours in goldwell-they can go green. The best thing for you, is to continue to go to a salon and watch-listen in on consultations. You don't neccecerally have to do much, you could ask a local salon if you can just simply sit in a corner and watch as you're training. I don't think block heads are ideal for training. Post a few adds online, state that you're training and do them in your days off in your own time for little to free if a cut, or for the cost of the colour until you get your bearings and then slowly raise them. get in contact with a rep from a colour company and arrange to do some courses- learning cutting on your own is particularly difficult. Sam villa YouTube is not the best place to go for people learning to cut, their techniques are advanced, and thatblondegirlmandie is also not a good one for cutting as she gets graduation in all her one lengths and doesn't realise it. Guy tang is amazing for colours, and April hair 101 is one of the better ones for colour, there are also Facebook groups that are amazing for advice, the friendliest by far is Olaplex users. :) stick to it, it will take a lot of time, and you'll want to give up several times along the journey, but stick to it, that'll set you appart from the regular hairdressers

full time college will not teach you the skills needed to be a proper stylist, having done training and completing the last bit next year, I can say confidently, college will not teach you much. I learnt nothing... i repeat, nothing from college. everything i learnt at college- i had to be corrected on in salon I now colour confidantly and im working on cuts....

I strongly disagree with this statement. Perhaps your experience was poor but you can't assume that all college training is inferior compared to training on the job in a salon. There are unfortunately, plenty of salons that have low/dubious standards. In the majority of cases, both salon and college, good quality training is down to the competency of the individual tutor.

My tutor on my level 3 at college was excellent and hugely supportive.

I strongly disagree with this statement. Perhaps your experience was poor but you can't assume that all college training is inferior compared to training on the job in a salon. There are unfortunately, plenty of salons that have low/dubious standards. In the majority of cases, both salon and college, good quality training is down to the competency of the individual tutor.

My tutor on my level 3 at college was excellent and hugely supportive.
The tutors we had last year were amazing and had been there 30yeats,but they have left as the college is going under, even my teachers now say that if they were me they would complain as the college is ran poorly, even all the other classes.
I do think it's hard to know which way is right, everyone tells you different, for example, a one length, we were taught to put your head down when cutting the back to stop graduation, then the next teacher says no don't do that, would you walk round with your head down.

Latest posts

Back