Should I just give in?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alldolledupx

Reaction score
I'm new to nails and not long done my course with nail harmony for Gelish. I'm really considering giving up before I've even started! I'm currently setting up a nail room from home and just have no confidence what so ever (within my self) there is a lot of nail techs and salons around my area but only 2 that do Gelish( others are shellac) so was hoping id do well. My problem is I don't think I'm very good at getting that perfect cuticle line. I don't do any other nails but Gelish either. I've been looking at other nail techs work on their Facebook pages and just think how am I going to get clients in when they have been doing it a lot longer than me and offer more things (acrylics) so they're obviously better as they have more practice. I keep thinking why would someone come to me rather than go to someone with more variety and experience :( I've paid so much money already I just don't want to be spending more that I haven't got for it to not go anywhere! Sorry for the long rant ladies.. I've attached a pic of my own nails that I did today.. Could I please get your honest opinions to whether or not they're good enough? Thank u xx ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1405963808.623467.jpg

I think they look awesome x

I'm not a nail tech but they're gorgeous! If definitely have them :) x

I'm fairly new to nails. It took me about 6 months to get confident in my painting. I would do as many friends and family as I could and I painted my nail trainer every day just to practice that cuticle line. So keep going and keep practicing. Then once your confident you could think about learning more?

I think they are lovely and I'd pay for them. You'll get better with practice. You need to believe in yourself and not expect too much too soon. Put yourself out there.... what's the worst that can happen? Someone doesnt rebook? So what, you'll find someone else

Don't give up! They look lovely and noone starts out a expert I think youl regret it if you quit just get out there and do as many nails as possible and practice loads and youl do great :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Just practice every spare moment with normal nail varnish until you can do it perfect. Watch vids on pro polish techniques.

You don't need to work so much on your technique as your confidence.
Be confident and your work will reflect it!

Thank you ladies I really appreciate all the advice, I've never really had much confidence in anything I've done (Apart from being a mum) I worry about everything and everyone so just scared incase it doesn't work out I guess and people thinking I'm rubbish. I'll keep practicing and see how I go. Thank u all xx I didn't mean to post that other picture above xx

Its almost a year since I qualified & did my CND Shellac training then started my business (mobile nail tech) in September. Ive been working mostly part time hours due to my son being at nursery school & hubby doing shift work. Its not easy, especially to begin with, nerves, lack of confidence & doubting your work BUT push through all of that and its worth it. If your passionate about nails & want to learn & improve then you'll be fine. The more you do the better quality your work will become. Dont give up before you've even began or you'll always wonder what if!!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you I'm going to keep going and see how I get on. I haven't opened for business yet as I'm just decorating my room and practising but hopefully it will all be ok, I'm the same too. My little boy starts school in September so I will only be working within his school hours as my partner works shifts also x

Thank you I'm going to keep going and see how I get on. I haven't opened for business yet as I'm just decorating my room and practising but hopefully it will all be ok, I'm the same too. My little boy starts school in September so I will only be working within his school hours as my partner works shifts also x
When I look at pics from clients I did at the beginning they were crap, I can see such a big difference. The pics of your work so far look better than mine were! You'll pick up tips & help about how to do things as you go along. Keep learning all the time. My first clients werent all long term clients BUT its all practice & youve got to start somewhere. Look at it as experience. Now all my clients are repeat clients so it will happen. Get a website, facebook page and leaflets/business cards & keep advertising & pushing your business :D

Hi, you sound just the same as me, I don't have any confidence in my own ability even though I have passed all my training (did Mani/Pedicure, Gel, Gel Extensions and Acrylics all in 4 months) and friends and clients I have so far are all happy with my nails. The important thing is to practice as much as you can and get as much feedback from people as you can. A little bit of advise from something I have learnt recently, When you start out in your business you will come across people where something will happen and they might have issues, DO NOT let that get to you personally, I have had that very recently and I took it personally and thought about chucking it all in but remember the people who don't have a problem as there will be many more of these than people with issues, just make the problem right with the client and move onto the next client, you wouldn't have passed your training if you weren't any good, just keep practising :) Good luck xx

I am just setting up as well and am learning with harmony. Im doing acrylics and gelish. I have been practicjng every spare minute and each time I improve a bit. Do loads of family and friends. Can I ask are the 2 colours you posted gelish colours. Gorgeous!

Love what you do & you'll improve all the time :D

Attachments

• 1405979962960.jpg
    1405979962960.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 425
Do NOT give up. This is what you want to do and once you get over this confidence dip you'll love it. It's very easy to look at others and compare your work to theirs, I have definitely done it. They have probably got years of experience over you because they stuck at it when they first qualified, just like you're going to 😉

I've written a blog post on how badly I struggled with my confidence when I started out. Believe me when I say I've been there and slowly but surely it will build.

Here's the post if you're interested http://www.liverpoollashes.co.uk/2014/07/my-experience-crisis-of-confidence.html?m=1

Big hugs x

Please don't give up I thought we were going to see something hideous , there is nothing wrong with those nails, practice ,practice , practice and remember your prep on those cuticles I have a salon and if you had done those for a trade test I would have been very pleased. You will get better and better and more confident .
Good luck and don't give up :)

I am just setting up as well and am learning with harmony. Im doing acrylics and gelish. I have been practicjng every spare minute and each time I improve a bit. Do loads of family and friends. Can I ask are the 2 colours you posted gelish colours. Gorgeous!

The coral colour is 'I'm brighter than you' with All that glitters gold over
The purple is you glare I glow with water field over the top x

Latest posts

Back