Should I lower my prices?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelrebel

Reaction score
I have been asked to go into a short stay nursing home tomorrow to do residents hair, every Thursday they want me, It is a home where people go who have come out of hospital etc...for a few weeks/months until they are fit enough to go home.

The question I have is do I charge the same prices I would normally for mobile or because I am in the same building all day should I knock the prices down? I have no idea how many clients there is or what they are wanting until I get there, I dont know if there is any perms but taking everything just in case.

I only charge £6.50 for a cut, £6.50 for a blow or set and £10.50 for a cut & blow/set.

so the question is what would you do? would you keep to them prices or lower them? Also maybe somr of these clients may become regular clients once they return 'home'

Thanks

Ruth x

no way, your too cheap as it is..
Be careful about perming these ladies, as more often or not there hair also suffers, whilst there ill. if they insist on a perm do a test curl first, heavy meds do tend to interfere with hair.
hth thg:)

I'd say stick to your original prices, they dont sound too dear at all and if clients become regulars once at home they wont be happy with a price increase and you then have to travel about.
Hope that helps ? Good luck x

I'd say stick to your original prices, they dont sound too dear at all and if clients become regulars once at home they wont be happy with a price increase and you then have to travel about.
Hope that helps ? Good luck x

Thats what I was thinking too

Thanks for your answers:hug:

Yes I get what you mean about perming too, I what I will be doing until tomorrow, I think it will just be cuts, sets etc...

Hiya

I think your prices are very low. Dont make the mistake of charging next to nothing . Have you already told them a price?

I would charge the same as you do now for the nursing home, and put your prices up for the rest of your mobile work. Petrol costs a small fortune nowadays .

If you are qualified and professional you should be charging what you are worth. Why should you work for peanuts hun?

Personally I wouldnt go out and cut somebody's hair for £6.50 or do a blow dry for that much money its just not worth it,and believe me i do know what i am talking about.

I have done nursing homes many many times and its hard work especially if the client isn't very mobile . The staff arent always around to help either!

If it were me I would certainly not lower my prices . I would put them up.

This is my honest opinion rebel and hope it has helped you a little.

Good luck with it, let us know how you get on.

Elaine xxxxxxxxxxx:hug::hug::hug:

Thanks Lavender Blue,

Yes I am qualified, have been for 20 years:lol: and been mobiile for years and unfortunatley I have just put my prices up from £6 to £6.50, and up where I live this is the average rate for mobiles, and people do grumble at these prices believe it or not:eek:

I went to do 2 new clients today, and elderly gentleman and his dad, and because they used to go in town and it was only £4 they had a little grumble I was too dear!!!

No I havent told them a price, I do one of the carers hair and have done for about 16 years, she asked me if I will go in so I guess she has told them my prices...I will find out tomorrow anyway:)

Thanks

Thanks Lavender Blue,

Yes I am qualified, have been for 20 years:lol: and been mobiile for years and unfortunatley I have just put my prices up from £6 to £6.50, and up where I live this is the average rate for mobiles, and people do grumble at these prices believe it or not:eek:

I went to do 2 new clients today, and elderly gentleman and his dad, and because they used to go in town and it was only £4 they had a little grumble I was too dear!!!

No I havent told them a price, I do one of the carers hair and have done for about 16 years, she asked me if I will go in so I guess she has told them my prices...I will find out tomorrow anyway:)

Thanks

I say you're too cheap too but that's just my opinion :)

Your gentlemen would probably spend more getting to town and spend more while they were there too as well as the inconvenience of having to get there in the first place!

Good luck. xx

wellI just thought i'd tell you all I got propper scanked today:irked: I turned up at the home and they had already had the prices up on A4 laminated posters on the wall, I had my own hairdressing room which was very narrow and as most people were in wheelchairs I could only fit 1 person in at anytime.

Anyway the prices they had up were...

cut......................£4
shampoo/set.........£5
shampoo/blow.......£5
cut / set/blow.......£6.50
perm...................£15

I took all my equipment including the perms which were goldwell, wella, and schwartkopt, luckily I had only 1 perm but she moaned all the time as wanted it to take about 1/2 hour!!!! even though it was obvious she had had perms all her life, so she should have known how long it takes....

I had 1 perm...2 sets...1 cut....1 c/blow and 1 blow (I think I got that right!) but it came to a total of £40.50

I was there from 9.30 untill about half past 2, plus I had to wait until they had had their dinnertime so I ws just sat twiddeling my fingers:irked: for over half an hour!

They have another hairdresser that goes in on a saturday and according to the carer that got me to go in said they are trying to get rid of her because she is not very good or reliable, so I am not sure if it was her that set these prices or the home, all the clients knew these prices and came in with just the correct amount.

so I needent have questioned about the prices:mad:

Never again!!!

Definitely don't lower your prices! You are well reasonable!

Omg i would have been fuming. At least you know now not to go again.:hug:

Its disappointing but you are worth more that that.

No wonder the other hairdresser is unreliable, she is virtually working for free. These prices are a joke arent they?

At least you stuck the day out . I would have walked out as soon as I saw the price list.

Take no notice Rebel , at least you aint got to go every week.

Elaine xxxxxxxxxxx:hug::hug::hug:

Thanks guys for your replies and support:wink2:

These prices are more like what I would have charged 20 years ago when I started out:irked: it's a joke isn't it!!!

Once bitten...... not getting bitten again!

I charge £30 for a CBD!!!! I would be outraged that they set the prices for you, and I would have made them amend the poster :lol:

Latest posts

Back