Should I take the plunge and leave my secure job?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Lashes

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I'd in need of some advice from you guys. I'm currently in a very high pressured stressful job that i hate. My colleagues hate it too and are all wishing their time away until their retirement. They have high blood pressure, ulcers..........the works!

For a while now i've been re-training to do beauty.......something a close friend said i should do years ago.....wish i'd listened!! But now we have the recession, high cost of living, VAT has increased and so it's scary to leave a secure job for one i know i will enjoy more but i have bills to pay.

I could try and build up my business slowly but would be really hard to do alongside such a difficult job. Fitting in the training and practice has been hard although enjoyable! I'm thinking of going mobile at first but really don't want my employer to know about it. I would have to tell them as it's in my contract that i have to disclose a second job. I know they would be very negative about it and would give me a hard time. It's nothing at all related to beauty, i'd be going for a complete career change!

I'm not afraid of hard work, particularly if it's something i love doing. Has the recession really hit the beauty business hard? Is there too much competition. Just wondering how you geeks are finding it and if you think it's worth taking the plunge.

1) Stressful job i hate but secure and well paid.....or
2) A job I'd love but not sure i could earn enough to pay my bills.

My boyfriend is very supportive and says we always have his wage coming in but it would not be enough to cover all the bills.

What are your thoughts? I'd really appreciate your advice or opinions as my mind's a whir at the minute!!

Thanks

I took the plunge 3 weeks ago and although its hard i am loving every minute. If you don't you may regret it.

Good Luck

xx

I'm just about to take the same plunge..I open my salon on June 22nd and it's from scratch so I have to start from the very beginning! I'm really nervous too but my current job, although very secure, is so stressful for not always much reward and so I've decided to just go for it!! :)
I did think long and hard about it, I am in a slightly different position to you in that I've been a therapist for 18 years but this is the first time I will have my own salon!! We are only here once and I decided that I wanted to spend my time doing a job I love in my own way and I can't wait!
Good luck with whatever you decide to do, it's not an easy decision to make but you'll find once you've made it you'll feel better straight away - I know I did! ;)

I did and havent looked back, my partner is very supportive also.
Im not earning loads but the drive will get me there your business is your own and your your own boss,
It will be hard VEry hard when the bookings arnt comng in but you have to believe that it will pick up and it will.
wont lie its a slow process, but m only offerning tanning at the moment if you have a range of services things may pick up faster.
Im going back to collage to do beauty so can up my services , ive already done hollywood nails.

Money we need yes...........but with out a passion life becomes a drag. f t doesnt work out then im sure you can get another job. Its the risk you take GOOD LUCK in what ever you decde x

I'm in the same position but I dont have the choice as my partner is out of work! I work full time in the city during the day and then work most eves and Saturdays! I'm totally miserable during the day but love the rest but I just can't take the risk withough another wage comming in :( :( :(

Thanks for all your uplifting comments. I was feeling a bit more optimistic and confident until I saw some well meaning friends yesterday who were concerned about my plans. They have a friend who's a self employed painter and decorator and work has practically dried up and he and his wife are struggling to pay the mortgage! I know i'll have to take the rough with the smooth and maybe save for those rainy days. When i take that leap of faith i'll hopefully be able to help others in the same position.

At the moment i'm doing 'everything to do with the eylashes' and booked on MYscara training next weekend. I just hope i pick it up quickly as I found the eyelash extensions difficult. Will let you know how i go on and if anyone else has any advice it would be much appreciated. :biggrin:

I'm in exactly the same position. I would love to cut my hours down in my day job but can't afford to, have too many financial commitments that need sorting out first.

I started my own business around two years ago which I do mobile, evening and weekends. I now can't cope with the amount of work coming my way, so employing a friend to help me out with tanning whilst I take on more eyelash extension clients.

Hopefully, one day I can do something I love full time.

x

I am in a similar position, I currently work full time in an office and have started out as a mobile Nail Technician in my 'free time'. I'm wondering if perhaps there's a chance you could cut down to part time hours in your current job (or perhaps find a different part-time job) so that you have part of a steady wage that you know you will get each month even if it isn't as much as you are used to and then you will have more time to try and build up your beauty business - that way when you do want to get rid of the part time job it wouldn't be quite such a big leap? Sort of doing it gradually...

I hope that makes sense, not sure if i've rambled a bit there!

x

Thanks flawless, that's a really good idea. A part time job would give me some feeling of security and definitely allow me more time to build up a business. I'm gonna get looking. Hope all goes well for you. Good luck x

That's what I have been trying to do, I asked at work but they wouldnt let me so I have been looking since Jan but only had 2 interviews since then they are few and far between and I am gettting tired n fed up by the minute, Has anyone got a magic wand???:mad:

Erm, why don't you get a job in a salon if you love doing beauty but want a regular salary?

All of you are talking as if nobody makes a living from beauty. Tons of us do it full time!

I'm not being down beat I love my beauty and have a lovely little client base! I'm just scared of taking a risk esp when I have an out of work partner hence why trying to do it slowly! :lol:

I didn't mean to imply that it's hard to make a living out of beauty but i think the economy being as it is will have affected all businesses. Taking the plunge for me would be really hard because it's in my contract to tell my employers that i have a second job (if i try to build up business and stay in my job) and i know they're gonna give me a hard time about it. If i make any mistakes at work they will put it down to the fact i have a stressful/pressured job and i've made it worse by doing a second job!

But if i just leave and then try to build up business i have no idea how long it will take as i'm completely new to the beauty business and i guess a lot depends on your area and how good you are. I think my best option would probably be to leave for a part time job and then build up my mobile business but there's nothing going around here at the moment. I'll keep looking of course and grit my teeth and carry on in my current job.......unless anyone has any other ideas?? Thank you all for your comments/advice and good to know the beauty business is still going strong. :lol:

Oh my god this sounds exactly like me three months ago!

My job reduced me to tears on a daily basis but the money was good and I was in the same situation.

I took the plunge and left. In addition to that I ploughed our wedding fund into opening a new salon.

My lovely boyfriend has been amazing. We are doing okay, money is tight but we are coping and will continue to thanks to his job and my determination to succeed x

If you have the desire and if your job is making you ill you do need to do something else x Only you can decide if this is right x Wish you the best of luck x

Hi Geeks,

I'd in need of some advice from you guys. I'm currently in a very high pressured stressful job that i hate. My colleagues hate it too and are all wishing their time away until their retirement. They have high blood pressure, ulcers..........the works!

For a while now i've been re-training to do beauty.......something a close friend said i should do years ago.....wish i'd listened!! But now we have the recession, high cost of living, VAT has increased and so it's scary to leave a secure job for one i know i will enjoy more but i have bills to pay.

I could try and build up my business slowly but would be really hard to do alongside such a difficult job. Fitting in the training and practice has been hard although enjoyable! I'm thinking of going mobile at first but really don't want my employer to know about it. I would have to tell them as it's in my contract that i have to disclose a second job. I know they would be very negative about it and would give me a hard time. It's nothing at all related to beauty, i'd be going for a complete career change!

I'm not afraid of hard work, particularly if it's something i love doing. Has the recession really hit the beauty business hard? Is there too much competition. Just wondering how you geeks are finding it and if you think it's worth taking the plunge.

1) Stressful job i hate but secure and well paid.....or
2) A job I'd love but not sure i could earn enough to pay my bills.

My boyfriend is very supportive and says we always have his wage coming in but it would not be enough to cover all the bills.

What are your thoughts? I'd really appreciate your advice or opinions as my mind's a whir at the minute!!

Thanks

I left my Social Work post in March and started my Holistics and Beauty business from home. It's the beat thing I've ever done and even though it's not booming just yet, I have faith that I'll do well :)
Work hard on every aspect and focus and you'll do it, good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Thank you all so much, your feedback has helped me to realise i'm doing the right thing. My job (similar to the one you were in Nickler) has been making me ill (IBS) and i'm often close to tears! Well done to you for taking the plunge and also to you gorgeous-tips as you were brave with your decision. You've both inspired me and hopefully will have inspired Nat-Nat too.

I think i need to look more at the risk of staying in my job (health and unhappiness) rather than what i've got to lose which is mainly financial. There's no way i can start a mobile business and have a full client list straight away but I know i can work damn hard and have what it takes to build it up. I'm really looking forward to the new start and i've met some really lovely beauticians who have all very supportive and seem to love their job. Good luck to all of you.

Don't forget to watch the Apprentice tonight. Just reading the info on it and it says 'the candidates must set up beauty treatment businesses in Birmingham' Should be interesting......!!

Latest posts

Back