Should you brush out brittle hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dominoes94

Reaction score
I'm male and lost alot of hair recently due to stress which made some hair very brittle.
Should I brush it out or leave it to fall out naturally like in the shower?

I'm male and lost alot of hair recently due to stress which made some hair very brittle.
Hi, I'm sorry that you've experienced this :/
To be honest it doesn't make a difference. Whether you waited until you wash it, or whether you brush it out, it will always come out of it wants to.
Have you changed your haircare regime to help combat some of the hair loss?

Sorry to hear.

I’ve experienced hair loss myself and it can be worrying as the more you think about it and stress about it..the more it adds to the stress that started it in the first place.

Keep washing and brushing. When you don’t wash it for a while you will notice a lot more in the shower coming out as it will still be falling out but won’t have been washed away each day so accumulates and looks like a lot at once.

Most importantly, relax. Whatever is stressing you, you need to focus on removing that stress. Easier said than done and i’d never presume to know what it’s like for you. But if it’s something that can be figured out or you can let it go or find a way to live with it, or even just start looking at it with a therapist (over the phone maybe) or a doctor, or writing it down and working through parts of it til you find the real problem and ways to help...it’s a start.

Then look at your diet. Notice what foods you eat the most regularly and then check each vitamin by looking up what foods it’s in and see if you are missing anything.

My one happened to be omegas. 3, 6 and 9. Some supplements only have one or two omegas in. I took it, forgot all about the hair loss for a while then when it ran out I didn’t buy anymore and within weeks it was back to its clumps in the shower.

My sister have small amounts of alopecia and the other one had a bald patch as a kid. One of them has a permanent area without hair but she’s very carefree so I think that’s why it’s not all over. The other ones grew back over time. Mine was more
sporadic.

It also seems to happen for me every few years and I did hear a theory. So your body is always growing, repairing...for example a smokers lungs take 7 years to totally repair and they are back to the health of a non smoker. The lungs fully regenerate themselves.The theory is that every 7 years approx we lose a lot of hair and our bodies are repairing and resetting. And while not like an on off switch, mine does seem to follow a pattern of being fine for years then having a few months of shower trauma of hair absolutely everywhere. Just knowing that so think helps me.

Important to note, is our hair cycles. So our hair grows, is dormant and falls out. At any point in our lives as much as 80% of all hair on our bodies is in one of those stages at the same time. Which seems great when it’s all growing like wow omg luscious so much hair...and irritating when it’s all on your face or legs..i’m a beast! Ahh!! But when it’s all in a shedding phase it can seem like a hell of a lot.

Consider everything you currently use on your hair. Brush to stimulate the follicles. But maybe if you are using anything new just leave it for a while. Try a medicated scalp shampoo and conditioner and see if hair using those helps.

So if you’ve then exhausted everything I’d be then looking at blood tests and checking wbc and making sure there isn’t anything going on inside that is no fault of your own and needs investigation.

Depending on your age of course there’s male pattern baldness but I don’t know anything about it myself. Worth looking into.

Latest posts

Back